Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Well, I tried the Chocolate Biscuit Cake this morning, as my Twitter feed attests.  I sifted through many different recipes before I chose one I thought would be the most authentic.  I finally decided on the recipe from Eating Royally which was written by a former royal chef. That seemed to be the most legitimate, but unfortunately it didn't turn out quite as I had hoped.

Everything was on track until the recipe said to mix the butter and sugar until it turned to a lemon color.  As far as I can tell, when whipping butter and sugar consistency can change, but color is unlikely to.  Even so, after mixing it and adding it to the chocolate mixture it looked correctly runny, but when the biscuits were mixed in it seemed to go a little wrong. 

This video from NBC is closer to what actually came out.

I was hoping for something more like the  final consistency in the video from McVitie's.  They obviously don't show the whole process, but everything seemed on track until that last part when the consistency seems thick and fluffy.  Hooowww???

When my version was complete it seemed to just be chocolate covered cookie bits.  Maybe when it chills and I pour the 16oz of melted dark chocolate over it, suddenly it will be correct!  Even if it turns out like the Againn cake, I still want one that looks more along the lines of the McVitie video.

I will be looking into other recipes and this will be perfect by the 29th!  In the mean time I wonder how many trips I will be making to the specialty store for the biscuits!  Clearly I should stock up if there will be multiple test cakes.

This recipe from  the DC restaurant Againn was the final recipe I used and it turned out perfectly.
Chocolate Biscuit Cake:
Ingredients:
7 oz. broken up rich tea biscuits
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. honey
2 oz. butter
16 oz. chocolate
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Heat up heavy cream, honey and butter in saucepan
2. Pour over chocolate and stir until smooth
3. Fold in broken up tea biscuits
4. Pour into greased and parchment paper lined cake pan (preferably a springform pan)
5. Allow to set in fridge for 3 hours

The lovely fruit cake that Fiona Cairns is creating will not be attempted in my kitchen any time in the near future. :-)

2 comments:

  1. When I put the in the springform...Should the cake not bake in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. It is a no-bake cake, it simply sets. I think I usually let mine set for 6 hours in the fridge.

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!