Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Attends William's Polo Match

Sunday, May 13, 2012



It was with great excitement and nostalgia that we saw Kate once again in one of her best environments--the polo field.  Unfortunately, the dress is a miss in my book.  Maybe if she had unbottoned the Libélula dress it would have looked a little better, but as it is I felt stifled looking at it.  I don't like the mandarin collar and I don't like the print. 

As she has in the past, Kate opted for wedges to keep from digging into the polo turf.   Lupo was along for the event as well, and got some special attention from Prince Harry.  



Some great shots of Kate attending matches over the years:










This outing is the perfect segue into a topic I have been meaning to address for my American readers.  Notice what Kate wears to these polo matches?  She wears everything from relaxed chinos and a tank to Jenny Packham, but she is missing one accessory. Do you see a hat? A polo match is not Ascot or the Derby, it is more relaxed even if it is played on the world stage like the match in Santa Barbara last year.  Here in the States, it seems the two events--polo and the races--have been lumped together, perhaps because they both include horses?  Anyway, for the derby pull out your millinery finery, for polo wear a nice dress or throw on your favorite jeans, but don't look like you are setting out for the Royal Enclosure.  No hats.  Sorry.  I know it is tempting, but... restraint.





We will see William and Kate on the 18th at the Sovereign Luncheon at Windsor and one of these days Kate will accompany the Queen to one of BP's garden parties.  

I apologize for the many typos in the last post.  It was late and I was exhausted, so I skipped the reread.  They have been fixed... :) 

10 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for finally addressing the fashion faux pas of Americans wearing hats to polo matches. I am an American and attend polo matches all over the country and I have never understood why the women show up in hats. It is an issue I have been trying to educate women on for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, i am always Dreaming about a Life that you have. Sounds like in a Big Movie. Wife with Kids, a Rich husband and a nice Social Life!

      Delete
  2. She definitely looked better in years past: outfit and healthier image. I understand how stressing it might be for her... hope she can cope with all the scrutiny. I think her style was just better as a single lady. I miss the old Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not hugely in love w/the dress either, perhaps it's one of those that you have to see in person to like... but anywho, looks like a good time, had by all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that American women wear hats to polo matches and other outdoor sporting events where dresses are worn. Hats with brims are a wonderful way to keep the sun out of my face and look classy at the same time. Surely we can have little differences in 'dress code' in different countries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I think it kind of makes us look silly, as if we can't see the difference.

      Delete
    2. Sal, I absolutely agree with you, and I would want to dress appropriately (without a hat) in order to follow the dress code at a polo match on British soil. The tradition we have set at American polo matches is that ladies may wear hats to keep the sun off of their faces. I think of adapting traditions the same way I think of our adapting the British language - I spell color without a u, and I don't feel silly at all, because that's the way we do things here in America.

      Delete
    3. Brilliant Kathleen,could not have said it better myself!

      Delete
  5. In this Last "old" Photo where she is about to Start smiling, she Looks like Katie Holmes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the print of the dress, it would have been great as a wrap dress. the fabric could be a little heavier, but we can't have everything. She dresses so well 99% of the time. I love that she wears more dresses, many Americans wear pants to everything.
    As for hats, I think in the American sun it is important to wear a sun hat and not a ball cap or visor for a match.
    She does need to gain a few pounds, if only to show the girls of Britain, it isn't good to be too thin.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!