Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Joins HM and DofE at Baker Street Station

Wednesday, March 20, 2013



There were little whispers that Kate and the Queen would have a public outing together today and we were not disappointed! It is the 150th Anniversary of the London Tube, and let me tell you, that is worth celebrating.  It is by far my favorite underground anywhere and for good reason. Clean, efficient, clean, clean... This is the first public outing of the Queen since she was taken ill, and it is good to see her.  I have certainly been concerned about her prolonged absence from public appearances.  The ever cheeky prince Philip was also along, as the royal trio caused a stir in the Baker Street Station. Sherlock Holmes had invited them to tea, and--I am joking. That was not part of the program.



Kate seems to like the blue/black color combo when with the Queen or on the Tube.  Today she wore a coat by Malene Birger, a Danish designer. I am always interested when Kate wears a non-British item. In general, since becoming an HRH, she has pretty consistently flown the home flag, but every now and agin she does deviate. Keener eyes than mine, on WKW Facebook, pointed out that Princess Mary of Denmark also wore this coat! So, we have some royal ladies trading fashion notes? If you don't follow all the European royals, Princess Mary is Crown Princess of Denmark and wife to that country's heir apparent, Prince Frederik. It was with this couple that William and Kate toured the UNICEF facility.  Frederik and Mary have four very precious and extremely fashionably dressed little tykes.  Can't wait for Baby Cambridge.





Speaking of Baby Cambridge, Kate was given this little pin that says Baby Onboard. She laughed and said she would have to be sure to wear it at home. Now that is a better gift than a teddy.



The hat was my favorite part of this outfit. I LOVE this hat and I love the outfit it went with before. Kate wore it to a wedding not long after her engagement announcement. You can't see it in this picture, but she was wearing deep purple shoes with a little bow on each. Ugh, I loved them. And she was glowing, of course, and her hair and make-up were perfect. Ah lovely memories...


I don't love today's coat. I don't dislike, I think she looks beautiful and the colors are great in general and awesome on her! But, something about the flare of the coat is making me think of men's coats from Louis XVI. I don't know why. Weird, BUT, she still looks nice. I have to remind myself this is also maternity wear for her, and she is certainly going with the more tent-like approach after her initially figure hugging MaxMara. I think this coat looks too old on her, and I think she should wear coats that are more fitted. The A-line isn't exactly thrilling me.  I know a lot of you will disagree, because it is obviously a beautiful coat and she pulls it off, nevertheless, that is my opinion. Look, it is this panel that is too much for me:



Just something about it.  Moving on... The Queen looked good and Prince Philip looked like all sorts of comments were galloping about inside his head, which I am sure there were.


Kate also told someone that she used to ride the Tube all the time before she married and missed it. It is perhaps the only hint of wistfulness that Kate has shown for her more normal lifestyle before she became everyone's favorite lady.

We have a few items to clear up from last post. Kate's black dress was indeed Topshop, NOT Zara, as I posted. I won't bore you with the details on how that mistake came about. I have (well, I will) fix that error, so the archive is correct in the future.

Number 2) CP shared in the comment section an article about William and Kate visiting with bereaved families.  I do not focus particularly on the charities that Kate and William visit unless it particularly piques my interest.  In this case, however, I agree with CP that it is good to share. It is especially poignant since William traumatically lost a parent at a young age.  Click here for the article. Thank you for sharing, CP!

Busy, busy week, more Kate to come!  Love the hat!!


14 comments:

  1. I see what you are saying. There are angles where it is really good but some that aren't. I think she looks good in the first picture, but I don't like the back. She is beautiful even so! Thanks for the post, Jane. I liked the Sherlock Holmes comment. I hope you are a fan of the BBC tv show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought she looked perfect. It seemed like a great event. there is some very cute video of the moment she received the baby on board pin. It is adorable! xo Lulu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I will have to look for that video. I have been so busy recently...

      Delete
  3. Haha I love the pin! She look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, this is so funny. I really liked the look today, but I even more like that you tell us what you think even if you don't like the dress. It is good to have honest opinion. Keep the blog work up, we all love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good blog often look in here! :-) Kate looks simply pretty recently, it really is pregnant;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So happy to hear you enjoy it! She has been looking particularly perfect--you are probably right!

      Delete
  6. I think I feel the same way. Like it, don't love it. Front is better than the back. She is pregnant, so her shape is going to change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this coat a lot. I agree that that she should avoid anything more voluminous (tent-like) than this, but I don't think this one crossed the line. The seam under the bust kept this one reasonable fitted on top.

    Yesterday's outfit was much more mediocre to me, but that really didn't bother me. Sure, we all think that certain looks are better on her, but we'd probably get bored if she never switched it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I have to say that I prefer this coat to yesterday's, as well. For one thing, it is more fitted, but the color is also really great on her.

      Delete
  8. I see your point about the tent look, but I still like the coat. Maybe it is a little old for her, but I think the braiding does that. Love your blog--happy to have discussion! Variety is good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's worn blue or teal everytime she's with the Queen. Does Kate hate color? Cause she's either wearing dark colors or exclusively blue/teal. This coat isn't much different from the one she wore on St. Patty's day. The Queen is a hardworker, but she's also very fashionable and colorful. No need to compromise on either end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, everyone's style is different. these deep tones are quite lovely on Kate, and she does wear brighter colors come spring and summer. I don't have any problem with her color choices, I myself tend toward the more subdued. But! If you love color you will see plenty of it, no worries. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. As a royal she's never worn orange, pink only once, and purple twice. Yellow and red are also rare. The color we see her in the vast majority of the time, regardless of the season, is blue. She wore it almost exclusively during the Olympic events. It's getting very tiring. But if that's what she likes... At least she isn't as bad as Angelina Jolie, wearing black 95% of the time.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!