Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Countess of Strathearn in Glasgow, Scotland

Thursday, April 4, 2013


Kate and William arrived in Glasgow today, after what I felt was a very long Kate-draught. I was very, very excited to see the Countess of Strathearn back in Scotland! Kate and William have been in Anglesey, where the two were spotted quietly going to church on Easter morning together.  Kate was wearing the Moloh Worker's Coat today with her Aquatalia Rhumba boots, which she first debuted in Scotland two years ago. There are a lot of elements to her outfit that I really like. The tartan pattern is very in vogue, the coat is fitted, which I am always cheering for, muted tones, etc. The big question seems to be, is it too short? I am the first to applaud Kate's tenacity in continuing to flaunt her pins post wedding. I love short skirts, Kate has incredible legs, and it is very rare that I think anything she wears is too short. (I am not suggesting a Side-Walk Sally short, here, but you get my point.)  I think this coat is too short, and the problem lies in shape.

No person can wear every single style. It is a fact that some things suit and some will not based on how you are built. If you are one of those people who thinks it is a free country and you can pull off any and every style that comes across the fashion pages, you probably are offending people fairly often with your style. No one can pull off everything.  This coat would probably have worked if Kate were not pregnant.  Consider her stunning appearance at the Epsom Derby.  It was absolutely gorgeous. She was skinny as a rail post wedding and completely pulled off the whole outfit. It remains a favorite of mine.


Today, the length of the coat is much the same, however, she is six months pregnant, so she has thickened up just a hint in her legs, but more importantly, she has an entirely different silhouette, thanks to her lovely baby bump.  That, combined with the wide circumference at the bottom, which makes the viewer uncomfortable, changes the whole game.  The skirt is too short. That is my verdict. She still looks lovely, but she would look better if it were just a tad longer...this time. Back to the Scottish action. The pair visited the Emirates Arena, which will be the site of the XX Commonwealth Games in 2014. Very appropriate considering the royal couples involvement in the recent summer Olympics.










At the Strathearns' second stop of the day, a homeless shelter for young people, Kate chatted with some of the girls, and of course the baby came up! The project manager asked when Baby Cambridge is due:

When Rachel asked what her due date is and if they had any names, Kate replied: "It's around mid-July but apparently babies have their own agenda...
"We have a shortlist for both (boy and girl) but it's very difficult.
 "My friends keep texting me names."She also answered "around June time" when Rachel asked when she would be stopping working to put her feet up before the baby was born.
Kate told some of the young people also that she has taken up knitting, but as of now, is still not very skilled.

I may update this post later, as I am in a rush at the moment, but if not, see you all tomorrow!



9 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Kate looks darling but I too think the skirt is a bit too short. I laughed aloud when I saw those long stems silhouetted against the tarmac with the big bell of the skirt. Super-cute and mod, teensy bit to short for a work event.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think the skirt looks too short as well. Maybe because it bells out, yes, but she still is looking good to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why doesn't Kate, as six months, not breakdown and jump into maternity wear!! This is really silly not to wear maternity wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your reasoning about the shortness!!
    I always enjoy reading your blog, although I've been a lurker for quite some time.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too agree with your reasoning on the length of the coat. Way too short. Would have been much prettier a few inches longer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tartan plaid, but unfortunately this is not a good look for Kate. It's much too short. I wish someone close to her could give her some much needed advice. Normally I think her choices are "spot on" but as a mother-to-be and with her position in life, it's time to lower the hemline. Just above the knee would be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually love the length. I think that it keeps it fresh & young & modern. I don't believe in rules for fashion. As long as she is comfy that is all that matters. IMHO xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I don't think that length is too short. She is the only woman in this planet who look that good while pregnancy. So maternity wear is optional, but not necessary. The Royal Family needs that Modern Vibe! She is dashing. Great role model for young women like me. It MIGHT BE too bold for old generation, but definitely impress younger ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!