Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Attends Wedding in Polka Dot Dress

Tuesday, May 14, 2013



Whenever I travel, I always bring my computer case along so I can blog at a moment's notice. I never want to miss a Kate appearance. I have schlepped that machine through more airports and foreign streets than I care to consider. But, that can get tedious, and I thought I could sneak away for the weekend with an iPad in the purse and call it an easy day. So, Kate showed up at a wedding...of course.  Kate has been in Anglesey with William following her engagements at the end of April.



You can overdo vacations, so I am happy to back on my own cozy couch, with a steaming cup of tea and some good royal action to soak up.  Kate rewore the entire outfit from Warner Bros. with the addition of a hat. Here is the problem as I see it. it seems to me that when your figure gets a little fuller due to pregnancy, you don't want to overdo yourself in the styles stakes. Too much rarely helps, and I know a lot of pregnant women right now on which to base the theory. What I mean to say is, simplicity is slimming. We all can think of a certain pregnant individual, whose initials may or may not be KK, who often overdoes it, with disastrous and headline grabbing consequences.


The billowy polka dot dress incorporates several pregnancy danger zones in one outfit, so I found this choice daring for Kate the first time around. I thought she pulled it off at the time, but not so much here. The hat only furthers the problem. She was right at tipping point before, but that hat is breaking the camel's back for me. What is up with this hat? It is a little wild, un peu adventurous, in short, exactly what she should avoid with this outfit.



I never thought I would say this, but I think Kate is a little lost in the whole maternity wear department. She has kind of ricocheted around. She wears something flattering and beautiful one appearance, and then something that really raises the brow in the next. I don't really understand why she hasn't shifted to clothes specifically designed for her changed body. Interestingly, the custom clothes she has worn have all flattered her beautifully.  I am particularly thinking of the blue Emilia Wickstead.  When she wears clothes that are off the rack she has had some real disasters. The plaid Moloh coat comes to mind first.  There is a time and a place for everything and I hope Kate gets this under control as she rolls into the last few months of her pregnancy.

I don't want anyone to take this as harsh criticism. Before her pregnancy, Kate rarely put a foot wrong. I might not always love the outfit, but there is a distinction between what isn't always fully to my taste and what is actually a bona fide fashion miss. She has had a few of those, too, as have we all, but not often. Even now, she has more hits than misses, but in my mind her misses are unusually high for our mostly flawless Duchess of Cambridge. I have every confidence she will soon be back on track!

Meanwhile, while I wasn't posting this weekend I was following the news and Kate and William were spotted a nice little restaurant -after the wedding for a quick bite to eat. The Mole and Chicken says:
The 60 cover restaurant offers a blend of British and Mediterranean food using classical cooking techniques and fresh local produce. A well chosen wine list accompanies the light lunch and a la carte menus and there is also a finer wine and drinks list for the connoisseur.
I was surprised to read that William had mushroom risotto while Kate opted for Fish and Chips. Kate has been known to love her comfort food, but in recent years most menu choices have been reported as lighter fare.

Fun stuff. Hopefully, we will be seeing Kate again sooner rather than later, and she will be in something specifically designed to highlight her loveliness.


14 comments:

  1. Funny, I thought the same thing about the fish and chips. I imagine she ate, while preggers, only about half of what I would eat on an average Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I am glad you have said what i have been thinking. Kate HAS been wobbly in her pregnancy choices, and we can say that while still thinking the world of her. She is so beautiful, but I think she is struggling finding her zone and she should switch to real maternity wear. Great post. Hope your vacation was good, but we missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right about her sort of falling short of maternity style expectations. That said, she is used to dressing a body that could not be more model-perfect if she were a mannequin. It must be really hard once there is a huge stomach to content with, not to mention probably a little extra bulk all around. I think it also may be much easier to do with casual clothes.

    It's so nice to see her looking so happy and healthy (especially after such a rocky start to this pregnancy) and, frankly, I'm so glad to see her looking after her health and enjoying work obligations first, while thinking of fashion second.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has put on weight. It is natural, but she has put on more than I expected. It seems no one wants to say it but its true. I think you are kind of hinting at that Jane. She still looks beautiful, but she is heavier, and I agree with the last poster that she probably is struggling with that change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how mean-spirited you are. All of you. The woman is pregnant and living in the public eye. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure who you are referring to, but both Jane's blog post and the comments here are respectful and understanding. It is normal to gain weight with pregnancy and Kate is trying to figure out how to dress for that. No one here is on this blog for any other reason than we are fans of Kate and her style and think very highly of her. If you can't tell that you may not be reading the actual posts and comments or you are not a regular. Shame on you.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I kind of agree with you E. I was surprised to read some less than kind comments here on a blog where I think people are generally huge fans of the Duchess. (I am a regular reader.) It IS normal to gain weight with pregnancy, Becky, you're right. It's NOT kind to say she's "put on more weight than expected." as the ANONYMOUS commenter stated. Ha! She looks phenomenal! If she'd put on less weight at this point we'd rightly be concerned that she wasn't gaining enough weight! I loved the polka dot dress and the cute hat she wore with it. I can't imagine how awful it must be to know, even if she avoids reading all the newspapers and articles, that every meal she eats, every item she buys in the grocery store, is discussed and dissected. I'm glad she's enjoying some fish and chips! Sounds delicious!

      Delete
    3. I don't see where anyone is saying anything unkind. The only comments that have been made are that Kate has baby weight and it is natural. Why are people saying that those who voice that don't like Kate? We all love Kate!

      Delete
  6. Name calling is unhelpful from either side. We all love Kate here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this outfit! The hat is fun and quirky -- perfect for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It can't be easy for Kate. Although she has naturally put on some weight with her pregnancy, she's still small enough to get away with some non-maternity clothes and probably not big enough to think she needs to buy a new maternity wardrobe. All extra difficult when you are in the public eye. I think she has by and largely looked great throughout her pregnancy - I just wish she would use the Queen's habit of getting tiny weights sewn into the hems of her floaty dresses to stop the wind putting her in an embarrassing position (this has happened quite a few times). Annie, UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog as you say not only nice things about her pregnancy style. Thanks Jane for being honest.A

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it very interesting that many comments were made about the cost of Kate's clothing (poor Charles)for Kate's public life where she is expected to dress in top fashion and yet when she wears an outfit m9ore than once there is still all sorts of criticism. That she's buying only what she needs right now to get her through the next few monthe of her pregnancy is commendable. She must walk a fine line between being like "everyone else" and being a fashion icon. Give her credit for trying to be fiscally responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Kate is following the current trend of pregnant women of not buying clothes specifically for pregnancy. I can only think of 1 fiend that's had a baby recently that has bought maternity wear.

    That friend that has been buying maternity clothes is expecting triplets so no choice there. And she has been complaining that most department stores have stopped carrying maternity clothes. There are the speciality stores but they charge way more!

    There just is not alot of demand because women just don't want to spend the money on something they will wear for such a short period of time. Most just buy regular clothes in a little larger size or that have a more open front(no belts). Something they hope they can re-use or alter later and keep using.

    I think Kate is right on trend for that. Unless you really get dramatically larger than your normal size why invest in clothes you'll never wear again.

    The only outfit I really haven't liked is the one piece that you mentioned that she wore to the national gallery. It just swallowed her up. She looked like she swallowed 3 basketballs in that thing. Otherwise, I think she looks great.

    P.S. I'm with you on the hat. But I think that's an English vs American thing. We just don't go for hats that much.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!