Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Wears Emilia Wickstead to Garden Party at Buckingham Palace

Wednesday, May 22, 2013


I drew down fire and brimstone on my head a few weeks back when I said I thought Kate had struggled a little finding her pregnancy style, but today she was right on target at the Queen's Garden Party in a yellow and white Emilia Wickstead coat, her ever present nude LK Bennetts, and the hat she wore to the Order of the Garter with that stunning McQueen coat.

2012 Order of the Garter


Garden Party. 22, May 2013


Interestingly, last year Kate also wore Emilia Wickstead, who is fast becoming the Duchess's go-to girl for stylish and substantial pieces, but in pale pink with that incredible hat.

2012
2013
This style is really working well for her, in my opinion. I am surprised that I like it the best, since I was sure I would prefer the clingy look that it seemed she was going to favor when she appeared in the MaxMara dress, but this is very much in keeping with the Mulberry that was so flattering:

Windsor 2013

The silhouette is really suiting her.  A little background on HM's garden parties from the Express:

The Queen’s garden parties are a quintessentially British chance to celebrate the achievements of people who have contributed to public life or their local community.
They have been held at Buckingham Palace since the 1860s when Queen Victoria instituted what were known as public “breakfasts”, although they took place in the afternoon.
In the 1950s the number of garden parties held at Buckingham Palace was increased to three a year, taking the place of presentation parties attended by debutantes.
The article also details:

She met Marie Curie nurse Susan Bradley who said afterwards: “She instantly recognised my uniform and the daffodil in my lapel and told me that she had great admiration for the work the charity does as our staff cared for her own grandfather in his home when he was terminally ill.”
When another guest called out to Kate: “You look lovely in yellow”, she smiled and thanked him, gently smoothing her hand over her swelling belly.
Kate, who is not expected to attend the other two summer garden parties at Buckingham Palace, also spoke about the effect the weather was having on her pregnancy.
“'She said that the one benefit of the weather was that it was keeping her temperature down. She said she was thankfully rather cool,” recalled guest Juliet Rogers.

Kate sensibly had her hair pulled halfway up, if she is feeling a little overheated at times, revealing her delicate earrings. As usual, she seemed happy and upbeat, naturally interacting with the crowds.


You know who made a bit of a fashion splash today? Camilla! What are the thoughts on that coat? I liked it! It was structured and flattering, and the fabric looked really interesting. As usual, she was a little out there with her hat. Something growing on her head??


11 comments:

  1. I don't think these are her usual nude sledge heels.These are the pair she wore last year in Singapore with Jenny Peckhma orchid dress. And I think that the clutch is the same. I remember it because I really loved that whole outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gorgeous coat but goodness she needs to wear a skirt or something...I'm going to be derided I'm sure but Camilla dresses much more nicely and with more flair than DOC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you are a bold woman indeed, to post that sentiment on this blog, but I applaud your honest opinion. :) I can't say I agree, obviously, but I do appreciate your opinion. Camilla has been harshly treated, I think, and I have really enjoyed many of her appearances. She looked GREAT at the garden party!

      Delete
  3. I like your blog. NOTE: What Kate Wore is reporting those were not LK Bennett shoes but were Russell and Bromley Park Avenue shoes to match the Russell and Bromley clutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Susan says they are something else, they are something else. :) I didn't take much care when I scanned her shoes. Thank you for confirming, I think Maja had noticed that as well!!

      Delete
  4. Loved the coat but the hat just didn't seem to go with it. Lovely colour for Kate though - she does seem able to wear a very diverse palate of colours, lucky girl. I thought Camilla looked lovely, she can be a bit frimpy but then occasionally pulls off a showstopper like this. I know many people disapprove of her but I think she has taken on her royal position with dignity and grace and these days, Prince Charles can't seem to stop smiling which is so great to see. He is clearly very fond of Kate, she really has been so good for the royal family. Annie, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has had her fair share of mistakes--the royal wedding disaster comes prominently to mind--but, more than not I like what she wears. Her hats are always too much for me, but it keeps life interesting. I agree, I like to see them together. The past is the past.

      Delete
  5. I think Camilla is the new Queen Mum ... I love the way she laugh, like she doesn't give a fig about what people think of her, just enjoying herself !x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dislike Charles and Camilla intensely. Both are character-deprived/sociopaths. What they
    wear or the charities they may support means zip.
    Really liked this yellow outfit on Kate and very much enjoyed her last charity outing.

    My duty, as a Canadian, is to ensure that my MP and PM understand my anathema to
    a King Charles, and my desire to shed the shackles of monarchy, particularly given
    a monarchy thoroughly lacking in integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pale Pink dress is looking good on her compared to other maxmara dresses.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!