Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Christens the Royal Princess in Hobbs Dalmatian Print Coat

Thursday, June 13, 2013


Well, the christening of the Royal Princess cruise ship was completely charming. I love that we still indulge in these traditions. For her last public appearance Kate looked better than ever in a Hobbs Dalmatian print coat and black hat and heels. The whole ensemble was just fantastic. I do have a weakness for animal print, but it can be overwhelming, yet she completely pulled this off!



The silhouette is the same as the other really great pregnancy looks she has debuted these past eight months. Streamlined and slimming. I was a little worried at first that the wind would give her trouble with her hair, which she styled half up half down (I need to give that a name) but it died down and all was well.



This whole event was much shorter than I expected...thankfully. It all started with the the band playing and marching, Kate arrived, took her seat. There was this awkward moment where some man was leaning over to speak to her but the band was playing a few bars of God Save the Queen. Clearly Kate wanted to give the anthem her attention and respect, but this guy was still talking...


Natasha Bedingfield performed Unwritten and I think many of us were scratching our heads. It was too early for me to be watching an impromptu concert, even with tea. Ultimately, the talking got started. Kate was introduced and her fashion following alluded to, "she is admired around the world for her style, grace, and compassion for others" which I felt was our personal little moment in the ceremony. It was as if we had been acknowledged. :)

Inside the Royal Princess talking to the pastry chefs?

The many qualities of the boat were extolled and it was mentioned that this ship will have the largest pastry shop at sea. That detail along with the fact that Kate is the Godmother would be enough to sell me on trip. The Bishop of Winchester came forward and blessed the ship, and then it was Kate's turn to take center stage.



I really enjoyed the fact that she closed off her official engagements before the baby comes with a boat christening, because she kicked off her royal career christening the small lifeboat in Anglesey with William. As the first chapter of her royal life ends and the next begins that mirroring is kind of cool.



Kate took the podium and said, "I name this ship Royal Princess. May God bless her and all who sail in her." She cut the ribbon and an almost $2,000 bottle of champagne dropped toward the hull of the boat.  This is a lightly stressful moment, because there have been others christenings where the bottle not break. In 2007, Camilla was christening a Cunard boat and the bottle didn't break, which signifies bad luck. No worries here, Kate beamed with delight as the bottle smashed with energy. As an avid consumer of champagne, I would rather drink than smash a $2,000 bottle of champagne, though. Couldn't they smash one that costs several hundred?





In any case, they sang God Save the Queen and Kate joined in with gusto as she usually does and then she was off. She is touring the boat now, but my livefeed is dead. I can live with that since my tea is now cold.



Talk about a smart move asking Kate to name the ship. I always wonder if cruise sales are down with the many disasters that have been in the press. I feel like every time I turn around I am reading a horror story.  They sound really fun, but also come across as a gamble. Kate mentioned to someone as she was touring the boat that she had never been on a cruise ship before, but I think it unlikely we will see William and Kate vacationing on one... The royal yacht Britannia was decommissioned in 1997 and I don't think they have replaced it with anything, although back in the day they sailed north quite often.  Maybe they should revive that.

It was definitely fun to watch, and Kate just looked fabulous.  I know not everyone likes that much animal print, but I really think she looked--smashing. :)




This was just lovely. I may update later with better photos. On verra.



16 comments:

  1. Greast post Jane, tahnak you! :) Is is me or her hair is much lighter now then it was last year? It is aslmost in the shade of caramel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate that! She does go back and forth with the highlights, and I think it looks like she went heavy on them recently, you are right. I never feel like it jumps out, although quick eyes notice it.

      Delete
  2. I find her horrible!:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you choose to visit a blog about the Duchess if that is how you feel, except to be inflammatory? I really can't understand why you would do that and also, why anyone would pronounce another person "horrible" when they have never met. The Duchess may not be your cup of tea for whatever reason but "horrible", really? Annie, UK

      Delete
    2. Sorry, i dind't meen that... english is not my native language... i wanted to say that for me she looked bad in that outfit that's all.. and not the person. I like kate very muche but for me this is her worst choice in style. She is usually very stylish. But I dislike this dress...

      Delete
    3. Hey there! No worries, when I read your initial comment I was momentarily taken aback, but then I sensed a foreign construction, which I am very used to as I communicate with friends overseas. I know what it is like to try and say one thing and have it come out a little differently then I had planned! Thank you for taking the time to comment. Hope to hear from you again!

      Delete
  3. I love the animal print! Very unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I didn't think she would do all animal print, so I was very surprised, but completely stoked.

      Delete
  4. Her hair half up, half down = demi chignon :-)

    I didn't really care for her look much in pictures this morning, but thought she looked lovely on the videos. Still can't believe she's rocking those heels at 8 months along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahh, hahaha, yes, that is the word, isn't it? Thank you. Future posts will sound more intelligent! :)

      Delete
  5. Good post as ever thank you, Jane. Animal print isn't really my thing so not wild about the outfit but Kate looked elegant as usual and so, so happy and glowing. I am in awe of the fact that she has stuck with the high heels throughout and never once looked anything but poised - to someone like me who lives in flats, this is an awesome achievement! Annie, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie! Yes, I know most people don't go in for animal print, so I understand. I am very impressed that she is still wearing those heels. She made it through all her public engagements wearing them!

      Delete
  6. Not a fan of this coat AT ALL! But she looks really happy--that's what is important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she looked very happy. She must be very excited the due date is getting so close!

      Delete
  7. To Meghan....The pictures were IMO retouched. Both her makeup and her weight were
    unflatteringly exaggerated. Typical. Trust the videos.
    I thought Catherine hit this look right out of the ballpark. The most elegant and quietly
    glamorous entering-her-ninth-month-of-pregnancy I have ever seen on any female in
    the public eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I THINK SHE LOOKS LOVELY IN THE PRINT SHE'S ONLY 31 SHE SHOULD DRESS LIKE IT. AND SHE DOES...LOVELY DUCHESS

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!