Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

George's Christening: Part II, The Ladies

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

NB: this is the second of two posts on Prince George's christening. To read the first and see more of Kate, visit this post. George's Christening: Part I, Kate in McQueen


Any day the Middleton ladies are out and about is a day to watch great fashion, but when they are attending a royal occasion you can be sure they will be spectacular, and today to attend the christening of Mike and Carole's first grandchild and the future King of England, they were particularly resplendent. Carole had beautifully mixed dark blue and pale silver grey together. The lace panels on the side were certainly unusual, almost like the illusion dresses that are so popular right now, while the structured collar and straight lines of the coat gave it a formal feel. This was a great color combo and appropriately elegant for the day. Definitely a score for Carole.




My favorite part was when the Bishop of London kissed her hand. What a gentleman. This man is a dude. I have been the president of his fan club ever since his powerful homily at the royal wedding. His booming and authoritative voice helps, too.


Look at that smile! He is such a charmer--you'd think he was French. ;)


Pippa's dress was really a showstopper, and when I found out the back story, it is no small surprise.



She didn't take any chances on this event, but had a custom dress designed by Suzannah Crabb. The Telegraph reports:
"Hours of research went into the history of royal christenings. The outfit had to be both beautiful and appropriate from the length of the hem, to the style of the millinery and the subtle colour and cut," says Suzannah. "Lace has been a popular fabric choice by significant guests at royal christenings since 1926 and a dress in a style similar was worn by Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden to the christening of her daughter Princess Estelle in 2012."
The dress, called 'Paris', is described as a "modern shift, with a suitably high neckline and simple, clean lines, finished in French lace. The colour is warm, blush oyster with a pink silk lining, trimmed in oyster silk twill, with sheer panels at the neckline and the sleeves." The 100 per cent Italian wool coat sports a round neck, empire waist and gentle trapeze line silhouette with deep pleats to give movement.

The commission was a dream come true for Suzannah: "Creating a couture dress and frock coat not only for the occasion of the royal christening, but for Pippa Middleton, who is so naturally elegant and stylish is a commission that every designer dreams of. It's so exciting that British fashion has such a champion."
I'll say. Both the Middleton sisters are worth their weight (and much more) in gold. I was disappointed that we didn't really get a glimpse of the dress underneath, but she looked wonderful. Obviously, plenty of coordination went into Kate's, Carole's, and Pip's choices. I like that the girls both wore the soft whites that blended with the baptismal gown, while Carole opted for the dark color to stand out. 


Camilla, who honestly made a serious blunder at the Royal Wedding, looked wonderful today in a very, very lovely ensemble. I know people will have a melt-down when I mention this, but it reminded me of one of Diana's best evening gowns. (Notice the Bishop of London with that icon...I have no idea, but I love it.)


One of my favorite Diana dresses:


(I am serious, though, no Camilla meltdowns in the comment section. This is supposed to be a happy day, resist the urge.)

The glowing Godmother, pregnant herself, stood out in a deep blue similar to Carole's hue. It was flattering, well coordinated--I just wish she had branched out on the heels. All the other ladies ditched the nude pumps for the day; it would have been nice if she has accessorized with a another color, but not a huge deal. 


As she is always last, but certainly not least, Her Majesty, Elizabeth II, wore a pale, almost cornflower blue coat with matching hat. As usual, she looked perfectly regal. (And the Bishop's icon makes a last stand...)


The official portraits should be released tomorrow. Everyone is eagerly waiting on the shot that will capture four generations of the monarchy in one sitting: The Queen, Charles, William, and George! No post is complete without a final shot of Kate! See you tomorrow...



28 comments:

  1. I am so glad you did a different post on all of the ladies. I think Carole always looks well turned out. She dresses very age appropriate without being dowdy or stuffy and just wears clothes so well. I feel the opposite regarding Pippa - I've yet to see her wear anything well or flattering. I love the color and shape Zara chose to wear and I agree on the shoes - they were a bit blah, but I am also at a loss as to what color would have played off that great ensemble without detracting from it. Camilla looked lovely. I actually really like Camilla and feel both her and Charles are treated poorly. Yes, they both made mistakes, but Diana was no angel and played her part as well. It takes two people to destroy a marriage and those two people were not exclusively Charles and Camilla in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it! I couldn't resist. It was too much fashion to miss out on! A lot of people didn't love Pippa's coat. I did, but I can understand the objections. You would think she would wear more form hugging outfits--perhaps she is just nervous with these very formal occasions...
      I just don't have any real animus toward Camilla anymore. She seems happy, Charles seems happy, all seems well.

      Delete
    2. I could see how Pippa would be nervous on these occasions - she has to walk a tightrope of opinions and not 'outshine' Kate and not 'be' Kate at the same time. That's a lot of pressure for anyone.

      Delete
  2. Love this blog. In the video where they are leaving the chapel at the end you can hear Kate say "look at the way he's holding his hands," referring to the way he was holding his hands very seriously in the last picture you posted. He is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! So glad you come and read! I didn't hear that, but after you pointed it out I went back and listened with the volume up and heard it. So, so cute! It's her first baby, how crazy is this?!

      Delete
  3. Generally I am no fan of Camilla, but I think she looked lovely today. Kate was stunning as always and I agree with you that her outfit looked beautifully coordinated with the christening gown. Thank you for your always positive coverage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for reading! It was SUCH a lovely day. Kate certainly looked amazing.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Official photos from the church proceedings will be released soon and I hope Pippa is in at least one of them as I'm DYING to see her dress!! Fingers crossed we'll get a glimpse of it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw the photos released. No dress shot! :(

      Delete
    2. I know!! So bummed.

      Delete
  6. Hi! I like Pippa' outfit but I'm not a fan of Carole'one... It makes her older... Camilla is a bit " plain" and so does the queen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Martina! I have to say, loved Camilla's dress, although in some ways it was a little simple. I thought it quite flattering on her, though.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jane! Thank you for the 2 post, they are superb.
    To be honest I did not expect such a treat yesterday, I read we might see some photos of the family while they are in their cars but it turned out to be really different, God bless them:-)))

    The baby is super cute:-) First I thought he takes after William but looking him more I l think pretty much takes after both of them.
    Kate looked radiant and comfortable, amazing what kind of nerves she has. I loved her dress, even her shoes:-)
    But I wish she would go to her hairdresser and stop using so much eye make up. She has a lovely face, is really a hat person so I do not get it why all Middleton women wear so much eye pencil?:-(
    I didn't like Carol's outfit she could do better than this. As I'm not a fan of Pippa I can only say she outshone Kate a bit for me. Her coat dress was incredibly beautiful for me although Kate's was playful still elegant. So next time she should wear something less... as it was not her day...
    As much as I have some opinion about Camilla I must say she has a great taste, awesome dress or coat she was wearing!!:-))) I personally love that Diana pic you used, great job:-)
    The Queen looked impeciable as always! It was a treat a really nice family gathering! Can't wait for tonight:-)
    Thnaks Jane very much:-))) A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot Zara, my mistake, she was stunning too.:-))

      Delete
    2. So glad you enjoyed the post. I felt like the day deserved two of them! Diana had so many wonderful dresses it is hard to pick a favorite, but that beautiful dress is certainly way up on the list! :)

      Delete
  8. Ha -- no Camilla meltdowns here :) I'm not happy about she and Charles carrying on during Diana's life, but if Di's boys are okay with her now, I can be as well. That's an awesome observation about her dress. It DOES like like Diana's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. William and Harry accept her, the rest of us ought to follow suit. I was really surprised, though, the resemblance to Diana's dress. Well, both were lovely outfits...

      Delete
  9. First, your blog is so well done. It is like reading moments in history but not in oa boring history book. The best part is when you include your own opinions knowing you may not be politically correct.
    IMO Carole missed the mark. I think she would have ended up on Fashion Police here in the States. I cannot imagine having all the money and resources in the world and choose something so wrong. Panelling may be trendy but that looks like something I wouold find on a rack at Marshalls or Ross Dress For Less. items that did not sell well in the marketplace.

    Everyone else looked royal and of course the baby stole the show.

    Now last night here in the States on the Entertainment Chanel they did a montage trying to show how Kate Middleton and Kim Kardashian are the same. SERIOUSLY!!! Comparing all things classy to all things slutty is the height of stupidity that we have to endure here in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad I can make it fun--we aim to please. :) Your point about Carole is definitely valid. I think it was a risky choice, and as such will garner both good and bad judgements. Gaaaahhh! No Kim/Kate comparisons. My gosh, i cannot understand why that happens. Because they were both pregnant at the same time? Because their names both start with K? Because Kim always talks about Kate? I don't get it. There are no similarities. Oooh. Ok.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful day for the royal family, especially Will and Kate. Prince George is soo very cute! He looks so much like Kate.

    I really like Camilla's dress, I thought she looked youthful and fun. Carol's dress was beautiful too, but the hat was a little off for me. The way it tilted up just made it look weird. Kate, as always looked marvelous. At first I thought she had recycled the Reiss dress from her engagement pictures, so glad she didn't, the McQueen dress was lovely and very appropriate. On to Pippa, oh Pippa, why can't she get a dress that fits properly? The dress it's self is lovely but the fit is a little too loose and that makes it look frumpy. She has such a lovely figure but the dresses she selects often look like they are a size too big. Oh well, she looked to be a very proud and happy aunt. I thought Zara looked great, such a happy time for her and her husband! And last but definately not least, the Queen looked so happy and I love that she wore the brooch she wore when Charles was christened. These women sure do know how to accessorize!!

    Thanks Jane, for such a great blog! I always count on you to have the most up to the minute information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been very unhappy had she worn the Reiss dress. No, no, but that is a good point--a ruffle dress I had not considered. I actually really disliked the Reiss dress. I thought it looked beautiful in the engagement photo, when it was static. But, live in action in Canada, I thought it looked cheap. This McQueen certainly outshone it. I didn't know that about the brooch, either! That is an awesome touch. The Queen would do something lovely, understated, and of historical significance. :)
      Thank you for reading and for commenting with all your cool points!

      Delete
  11. What blunder did Camilla make at the wedding? I can't remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qUCAKh5W-YI/TcBPbqRlpHI/AAAAAAAAAEA/SKK4srFqEh4/s1600/1304082699_camilla-royal-wedding_290.jpg

      I thought this dress was very unflattering because it emphasized the widest part of her hips by changing colors where it did. Bad call in my book. The christening dress is much more slimming to me.

      Delete
    2. I see what you're saying. She nearly always wears the same silhouette, and I couldn't remember what was different about her dress at the wedding.

      Delete
  12. I just noticed the picture of the Bishop kissing Carole's hand, what a flirt! :) Actually he was my favorite at Will and Kate's wedding. I knew I liked him for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Don't you love it?! he was so cool at the wedding. He is officially my favorite prelate. I hope we see much more of him.

      Delete
  13. Just a thought, for those who were disappointed with Pippa's dress. I wonder if she was being careful not to "steal the show" from Kate. She did come rather close to doing that at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!