Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Announces New Engagement

Friday, October 4, 2013

Last night I was sitting looking at the blog and wondering when, oh when, would Kate pop up again?  Thankfully, it was announced today that she will make her first solo appearance since George's birth on the 18th of October! No use playing it cool on this one, I can't wait!  The Cambridges have been back from Balmoral for a bit now, they were spotted in London on the 29th of September.


If I lived in London I would run that park every day... I think they must have moved into their new apartment by now. I am pretty sure it was ready on their return.

The Mail has an article in which they claim that Kate loved her bed in Anglesey so much that she has ordered the exact one for her KP apartment.
‘We got a call out of the blue from one of the Duchess’s staff asking if we could provide one like the model they slept in,’ says Rotherham businessman David Smeaton, 51, a descendant of Arthur Smeaton, who founded the family bedmakers, now called Healthbeds, in 1893.
‘I think it’s the first time the royals have bought one of our beds. The Duchess loved the bed so much, apparently she looked under the mattress to find a label to discover where it was made. We are thrilled to have royalty buying one of our beds.’

‘I couldn’t possibly discuss the price, but it’s taken a lot of complex measuring to get it right,’ says Mr Seaton. ‘The idea is to make a very comfortable bed that minimises allergy. It’s an unusual order because the bed is bespoke and had to be enshrined in a four-poster setting.’
I believe the story. It makes sense to me that Kate and Wills are used to a certain bed, and want it after their move. 

Prince George has been gifted a custom made salmon fly by a close friend of the royal couple's, The Telegraph reports. 
“It was a close friend who was a guest at his wedding who wanted something special and unique,” says William Landale, the managing director of Fulling Mill, in Surrey. “We were asked to make one for William and Kate and another for Charles and Camilla.
Honestly, fly fishing is not a sport I really connect with the royals. Stalking (aka, hunting or you Yanks), polo, other equine activities, tennis, etc, but never fly fishing. Of course, I do think of Scotland and the British. Who can forget the scene where Matthew and Michael Gregson have a quiet moment fly fishing at Duneagle. Ugh, Mathew, we mourn you still.


Or, the ever adept Christopher Foyle stealing aware for serenity and reflection amidst the chaos of World War II Britain. Thank God for British TV.


Even if it royal isn't the first association, at least George has a few great role models to look up to when he takes to the streams with his special fly.  On an unrelated note, although it was initially reported that young George Crawley was named after George V, Julien Fellowes said in an interview he named Mary's baby after his niece's new son George to commemorate the birth. (Or something, I can't find the article now.) Everyone wins in that situation. But we digress from Kate and the royals...



Pips is in Austria enjoying what appears to be their version of Octoberfest. She reports in The Telegraph. I am loving her column.  Well, really I loved the last one when she visited the flower market. It was absolutely delightful. It had me dying to visit one at 6am and looking for courses on flower arranging. Read her column here. Enjoy the photos of Pippa in a dirndl, I don't expect we shall see this look often. 

That's it for now--hopefully there will be reason to be back soon!

19 comments:

  1. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother loved to fly-fish. And so does Prince Charles. The River Dee at Balmoral is their favourite place to do this. In fact, the press found Charles fly fishing and then spotted Lady Diana Spencer hiding behind a tree watching the trespassing photographer in a hand held mirror. Nat that Diana liked to fish, she was just trying to land Charles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Well, it doesn't surprise me that some of them like to fish, but I wonder if this new generation is as keen on it? I did not know that story about Diana and Charles, or if I read it somewhere I have certainly forgotten. :)

      Delete
  2. Maybe I dreamed this up, but I seem to remember that the first inkling that Diana and Charles were dating came when they were fly fishing, maybe at Balmoral(?), and an unauthorized photo was snagged of them. The story I remember (or made up?) was that Diana hid behind a tree, but a photographer caught her peeking into a pocket mirror over her shoulder to spy on the photographers. Does that sound at all familiar? Thrilled to hear Kate will be out and about soon! Thanks for keeping us up to date! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! You and Gracie seem to agree on this one! Great memory. I actually wasn't around for the early days of Charles and Diana's courtship, so I may have read it somewhere, but I don't remember things like that the way I remember details of say, William and Kate's early days having read it myself. I will have to do some digging around, but it seems like that generation does indeed like to fish. I don't get the impression that the Wales boys do it as often. perhaps just when they are in Scotland?
      Thank you for dropping in and reading!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy Pippas articles and her style of writing, she has a real fun loving, easy going sparkle about her. I dont see why some people dislike her so much and call her pointless etc, she seems like a takented and lovely young woman. Feel like i havent seen kate in months, so very much looking forward to the 18th. Brilliant blog jane, fast becoming one of my faves!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,

      I agree with you, Pippa's writing is great and she certainly deserves the success that she has worked hard for.

      Delete
    2. Marie, I agree it does seem like Kate hasn't been around in forever, even though we have seen her here and there since George's birth. The 18th can't come soon enough! So, so happy to hear you like the blog that much! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane, thanks for the update! Do you know what event Kate will be attending? I wish KP would release a photo from their Balmoral trip. I'd love to see a casual (or as casual as the royals can) photo of George with the Queen and Prince Phillip. Now I'm heading over to the Telegraph to read Pippa's article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauri! Clarence House said, "On Friday 18th October The Duchess of Cambridge will attend a @TeamSportsAid Athlete Workshop at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London." So, I am crossing my fingers she will go with a coat dress or something, not jeans.:) we shall see. I wish they would, too, and they may still down the road. I think for the moment they are trying to keep the fever of excitement as low as possible. Thank you for reading!!

      Delete
  5. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was a great fly fisher. She would even wear her pearls while fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I wonder if there are any pictures, pearls and all...

      Delete
  6. So exciting, the 18th cannot come any sooner! Going to make my way down from St Andrews to London for this one, so if I get so good pics of her I'll send them over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see Kate today?!! Looked like an awesome event!

      Delete
    2. No, I was stuck up in St Andrews with deadlines looming so was unable to make it down to London -- so bummed!! One of her patronages, The Art Room, will be opening a centre in Edinburgh this January and she's expected to attend the ribbon cutting so I'll definitely make it to that as its only an hour bus ride away! Clarence House hasn't confirmed the engagement yet, but a link to the article is below. I think its pretty likely she'll attend and she has been so keen to show her support for this particular charity in the past.

      Link: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/kate-middleton-to-open-edinburgh-arts-charity-1-3132928

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have been watching that and I agree it is likely she will attend. I definitely hope so! It would have been a bit of a haul from St. Andrews to London... Keep me posted on Edinburgh. I would love to hear if you go to that! I am hoping they release pictures from the Hedge Gala--can't imagine they won't. Thank goodness we are seeing more of Kate!

      Delete
    4. Will keep you posted for sure. Hope they confirm her Nov/Dec engagements soon! If any are close by I'll be stoked! Looks like they're gonna throw a winter wonderland themed housewarming bash at KP, but not sure when.

      Delete
  7. While I'm glad pippa has decided to do her own thing and write. Her writing is mediocre. It is ok but not outstanding or jumping off the page. There is a slew of people editing and revising her work and I would bet money that if she didn't have her name or face and submitted these pieces she would be rejected. She's been given an opportunity to write because of who she is, not because of what she writes or how beautiful her words are. Has she ever had to pitch to an agent or magazine editor? Does she even know how to write a query letter? So many writers are struggling to make it and buy every book, attend every conference or workshop and learn all the techniques of query writing and pitching to make it happen. They get rejected, dust themselves off and start again. She has never experienced this and yet everyone is praising her writing as if it's this amazing stuff that leaps off the page. It is ok but if she weren't who she is I guarantee she wouldn't be in the Telegraph or Waitrose or have had a flop of a cooking/craft book published. She has taken away a valuable spot that a deserving writer should have gotten all because of who she is. I hope she never takes for granted how hard it is to make the dream of writing a reality because it's not as easy as she has gotten. She is not that great a writer, just privledged and famous and got it for free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree, Anonymous, Oct.9. I purchased a copy of Vanity Fair, just to check out Pippas writing skills. Her writing in no way matches that of the typical magazine contributor.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!