Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Last Christening Photo Matches Intimacy of Testino Engagement Photo

Friday, November 1, 2013


It is old news by now, but there was a fifth christening photo released after the initial four. They actually said they would be releasing two new photos, but only one ended up coming out, which was absolutely a let-down.  I like, it is a little artsy with unusual filtering. William has drawn criticism from more than a few with this shot, though. I have to admit he does look a little moody broody, but he isn't too effusive at the best of time with his smile, so I feel like at this angle with his interpretation of a thoughtful/soulful glance, we come out with "angry dad" face on accident. It is almost the exact pose that Charles, Diana, and William did some 30+ years ago, which was not a deliberate pose, but more along the lines of an action shot. 


I don't think it is a stretch to wonder if they had this picture of his parents in mind when the posed.  It was neat they released this particular christening photo because it looks like something they will have framed and on their mantel or table. The official photos will certainly be around, I am sure, but this one has a more personal quality. The new christening photo also reminds me of the Testino engagement shot in terms of lighting and intimacy. 


I think we can be fairly confident that we will see more photos from the day as the years move forward, but for the present it seems this is all the family plan to release. Many news outlets were reporting that Aunt Pip bought a very expensive christening gift for George. The Mirror wrote:
Pippa Middleton 'buys Prince George a sculpture of his hands and feet as a christening gift': Kate's sister spent £7,000 on the unusual silver ornament. Pippa Middleton splashed the cash on a sculpture of Prince George's hands and feet as a christening gift, according to reports.
I haven't actually found a news report that has any substantial evidence that I can see, but it would be an interesting story. I don't think it is creepy, either.  It would be a lovely reminder of how precious and small he is since he will grow pretty quickly. The price is monstrously extravagant, and for that reason I am inclined to think it must not be true.  That or Pippa is certainly a spoiler.

I apologize for the delay in this post. I kept thinking, "tomorrow, I'll write the post tomorrow..." In any case, we haven't heard anything from the Cambridges since. I imagine Kate is decorating and settling in, and possibly having some of her friends round to her new home. Kate and William are scheduled to be make an appearance on the 7th!

The movie Diana opened today in the United States. I wonder if the reception will be any warmer than it was in the UK...

16 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with this great post but I was wondering if you have any information on the ring that Kate was wearing on her right hand to the gala. People are saying that it is a "push" gift from William. It is one also that has never been seen before.
    HOpe you can shed some light on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline! I am so sorry, but I have no idea. It has been, thus far, a mystery to most Kate fans.

      Delete
  2. Regards to the new photo, I think it is just breath taking. I think William is just reflecting on his beautifu baby and his beautiful wife. He also could be thinking about his beloved mother and wishing she was there to see his baby boy and his beautiful wife.
    People are not very kind to William. They always some thing to complain about. William is just a very private person when it comes to his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think it was a fair comment, but frankly, it wasn't anything that bothered me. I thought it was a great photo!

      Delete
  3. If Pippa did indeed buy those sculptures as a christening gift £7,000 wouldn't be that much of a stretch would it? After all, the Middletons are millionaires many times over, which I know doesn't mean they always splurge but somehow I don't think this would put a huge dent in Pippa's pocketbook. A unique gift idea though regardless. Jordanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't that she can't afford it, it is just that it is unusual for the Middletons to be super extravagant in that way. Not that they don't splash out, of course, Mustique, etc. Kate is a more frugal than Pippa, though, so I agree it isn't impossible that Pippa would spend like this for such a big occasion. I wonder...

      Delete
  4. People were critical of William in this photo? This is such a gorgeous photo, who criticized it? I didn't see it in any of the papers I thought to check, or in any of the blogs dedicated to the Royal family that I read. Where were the negatives? Was it in comments made on the street and on blogs? (I don't always have the time to read them.) I think they seem like such a levelheaded couple. I'm sorry they get so much unwarranted flak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No papers, just fans weighing in with their thoughts. I don't think it was super negative, just that he didn't have a huge smile. I think the problem is, he IS smiling, but his head is tilted so that you can barely see it. You kind of have to be a royal watcher and familiar with William's facial expression to see he is in fact pleasantly disposed in this shot. I liked the picture. Kate and George are just gorgeous together!

      Delete
  5. I find this photo very beautiful! How intense is the glance of William, looking at his baby. I like it soo much, it' my favorite one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love it! Kate and George looking at each other--well done from all parties.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane! Better late than never! Lol I always enjoy reading your opinion and so I check in often. Regarding William's "moody, broody" expression, I wouldn't read too much into it. Let's remember who the photographer is; he took out the background and created an editorial photograph instead of a straightforward portrait. As I look at this picture I can't help but think of Diana and how I wish she could have lived the fairy tale romance Kate is experiencing. Why
    couldn't Charles love and cherish Diana? William is demonstrating his love and respect for his wife, he seems to be enjoying his new role as father and is taking his royal responsibilities seriously. Which goes to show that actions
    speak louder than a staged photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I try to be on time. :) I agree, William actually does look pleasant, I think it is the angle. I really like the mood, actually. They seem like a very happy and contented family!

      Delete
  7. This is my second favourite photo after the shot of Kate, William and George with his little hands up in the air. I adore that photo. I don't think William looks anything but an adoring father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my second favorite, too. Although I love some of the stills from right before the christening, too, as they are greeting the Queen. Beautiful photos, definitely worth the wait!

      Delete
  8. Jane do not overdo William just looked at her son and his wife calmly is not whimsical! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. :) I agree he looks pretty content. It is a well done photo!

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!