Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate & William Sign Condolence Book at South Africa House

Wednesday, December 11, 2013


Although not announced to the press, William and Kate were at South Africa House today to sign a condolence book in the wake of the former president's passing. Kate recycled an oldie, but a goodie. Many long-time Kate watchers immediately recognized it as a suit she has been photographed in at least twice.


Most notably, Kate was pictured wearing the small polka dotted suit to William's induction into the Order of the Garter in 2008. She jazzed it up with the obligatory hat, and passed the time laughing and chatting with Harry and Camilla. This was a very memorable event, because as just a royal girlfriend, Kate obviously came to almost no official engagements. It was also exciting because the pair had just gone through a very high-profile split the summer before, and we were all pleased to see how happy, relaxed, and welcomed Kate clearly was.


Speaking of the break-up. On April 14, 2007 the news broke that William and Kate had called it quits on their relationship, but although this was the confirmation, William had ended the relationship at the very start of April. Kate and her mother Carole flew to Dublin on April 3rd for the art opening of a friend of Carole's, Gemma Billington, still keeping Kate's heartbreak a secret. (For some reason the flash on the below photo makes it look green to me, but it isn't...)


Sipping champagne and and smiling for the cameras, Kate hid her break-up well, although with retrospective knowledge it is easy to see why Kate chose this moment to tag along with Mom for a mini-break from London.  The pair were photographed walking the Dublin streets where Kate's mood did not seem so ebullient.





Of course, just the next summer she was wearing the same suit at William's investiture and today she is wearing it again as his wife. Happy endings. I have always liked this suit. It fits her well, it has a subtle polka dot print that photographs well, and cute, flirty pockets. Most of all, I like it because of the good memories associated with it.  We all change over time, and it is fun to remember how exciting it was to be watching the news for pictures of Kate back then. In some ways it seems not that long ago, and in other ways very far indeed. In any event, when Kate only showed up in the press only every now and again, it made it just a little more thrilling to see pictures of her. 

Today is a double header, we will be see William and Kate again later this evening. Read the full story and see more pictures of William and Kate at South Africa House here


17 comments:

  1. I loved her outfit today, excellent choice:-))) I have a question for you Jane, do you think Kate has ever had a plastic surgery I ask out of curiousity? Thanks for the post!A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, such a lovely suit, and a good choice for the venue.
      I don't. People point to how her face has changed over the years, but in fact, everyone's face changes with time. She was never fat, but she has certainly lost a lot of weight in her late 20's and that can change your face significantly. I lost weight after college and my face barely looks the same from high school photos. Kate is so beautiful, she has no need for plastic surgery, not do I think there has been that dramatic of a change. It is easily attributed to weight loss and just getting older. Not old, old, but she isn't a baby-faced 23 year old on a college pub-grub diet anymore. Now, I think she indulges in various skin treatments, etc, but that is much different, I think you will agree. :)

      Delete
    2. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2066489/Kate-Middleton-smile-Secret-Duchess-Cambridges-perfect-pearly-whites.html

      This is one I almost believed. What do you think?

      Delete
    3. Obviously she gets her teeth whitened, just like most people today, and she very well may have had some delicate realigning. But, I wouldn't classify that as plastic surgery. It is like getting braces. The majority of the population at one time or another has to use braces to straighten everything out. Given how often Kate has to be smiling with cameras on her, it would be ridiculous not to make sure her teeth looked good. Going under the knife to change bone structure or something is another matter, I think you would agree.

      Although being said, Kate's smile has always looked good. I think she had braces as a child, (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/31/article-2080743-0F4F038E00000578-278_306x423.jpg) but her smile has not changed markedly in her entire time in the public eye. I frankly not convinced that she realigned her teeth, but just had them whitened. If your teeth are good, why mess with them?

      Delete
  2. The photo above (three up from the end, where she is standing between the two women) is my absolute favorite photo of her hair. Years ago I showed it to my own stylist and said, "This! This is what I want!" That is one thing that hasn't changed! Thanks, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her hair was so (seeming effortlessly) gorgeous. Such beautiful hair. I hope your stylist did a good job. I have had limited success recreating Kate's hair. :)
      Thank you; so happy you come by and read it!!

      Delete
    2. Sadly I must disagree. Her hair is a mess, multiple lengths and falling into her face. A new stylist who can show her that shorter and off her face (what's the good of having a beautiful face if it's half hidden whenever you're out?) would be so much more flattering.

      Delete
  3. Do we have any idea the make of the suit? It's perfect for work!! I'd love to try and get one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not, but I can look around. Obviously, it has been in her closet for a while now. If I find out, I will post on it. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane,
    I loved Kates outfit today, a lovely suit and great to see her in a pencil skirt. The hair was lovely as always! I thinks its really lovely that they went to sign the condolences book. good on them. Thank you for all your hard work Jane your always so quick I love this blog I check it every two to three days. Looking forward to your post on the apperance at the national history musuem, I do really enjoy their joint apperances.
    Thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you come by and check this page! It was a surprise to get two events in one day. They did not announce their visit to South Africa House, so it was a stroke of luck for us.
      Hope you enjoyed the Natural History Museum post. They are so cute together--there is a picture in the post you will enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jane, thanks for such a speedy post!! I really like this suit on Kate, very appropriate and professional. However, I think I liked it better when she wore it to the Garter ceremony with the nude hose, the black hose here just don't work for me. Can't wait to see for tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lauri. I didn't note it in the post because I was crunched for time, but yes, I think it looks better with nude stockings as well. More and more I prefer black only with certain styles. Gosh, she looked great at the Garter ceremony. Definitely its best appearance.

      Delete
  6. She seems to like polka dots which is fantastic because I am crazy about polka dots. I really love the suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kate does have a penchant for polka dot. I think they are very cute and youthful. She pulls it off well!

      Delete
  7. (sorry if this is a repeat - I tried leaving a comment but lost it)

    I think Kate is just a conservative dresser. She is a conservative person, period. She likes safe, simple, boring even and no deviation from the rule. Even her jewelry choices say nothing about her individuality or style - she wears plane, albeit expensive pieces, that go well with absolutely everything. Maybe it's what Williams likes and wants from her, to be conservative, reliable, predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I agree she is conservative in her style, but I think it is also what she sees as beautiful. It reflects her personality, which is even and gentle, graceful and kind. Frankly, I think it is very regal. I don't know that I would be thrilled if she were always pushing the fashion envelope. There is something beautiful in her composure. I would not say she is boring. She is very classic and as such, she will be timeless. I think that is important for someone who will be the kind of icon Kate will become. Like Princess Grace or Audrey Hepburn or even Elizabeth Taylor. She is cool and sophisticated.

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!