Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Valentine's Day: Kate Opens ICAP Art Room at Northolt Highschool Wearing Blue LK Bennet Sheath Dress

Friday, February 14, 2014


Kate ensured we all had a Valentine's Day treat when she planned her visit to Northolt Highschool today to open up another Art Room. Kate looked great today, from tip to toe. The balance of probability was that she would opt for a new piece after her recycle at the National Portrait Gallery and she did indeed debut a cornflower, or as described "snorkel blue" LK Bennett dress. For a brief moment I thought it was the blue Stella from the NPG, but we got a new look.

Duchess of Cambridge in Erdem
Allpix/Splashnews.com

I really liked it! The notching and layering add interesting dimension to an otherwise very streamlined style. With the little notches on the sleeve and structured body, this dress was very reminiscent of her 2011 style, particularly her Erdem pieces on the North American tour in Canada. It reminded me very much of the taupe Reiss dress, as well. Kate has an excellent eye for interesting details that  make even a very simple dress stand out.




This is not Kate's first working Valentine's Day. In 2012, their first Valentine's Day as a married couple, Kate visited a school in Liverpool while William was serving an overseas tour of duty in the Falklands. Not a worry-free Valentine's Day by any stretch. Although the Duke purportedly sent flowers and a card to make up for his absence, there was no short supply of Valentine favors and love for Kate. 

Duchess of Cambridge on Valentine's Day 2012
Splashnews.com

William was much closer to home this year, although still doing his part to help out, as he joined Harry to help sandbag in Datchet, Berkshire very near Kate's parents' home in Bucklebury. I find it a little romantic for Valentine's Day that his coat's color is almost a perfect match to Kate's dress. Despite his good work, Kate will be chiding her husband tonight for his uncharacteristic lack of sang foid with reporters. In answer to a question from a camera man, he threw back a sarcastic and lightly caustic, "You could come and help instead of throwing cameras around." This comment will do nothing to help his relations with the media, which is always strained as it is. He clearly has never forgiven the press for their involvement in his mother's harassment, and possibly her death. Hiding his bitterness has been a battle he struggles with and often loses. 


In recent years, I am sure the appallingly invasive photographs of his new wife sunning topless have only helped to entrench this bitterness, although in fairness to the British media, they were not involved in that debacle. William has found very little good example from his father whose bad timing and snide comments have embarrassingly landed him in hot water in the past. Remember his "horrible people" comment on ski holiday? All in all, let's hope William learns from his cool, calm, and ever gracious wife. Because the question that begs to be answered after William's comment is, if you didn't want media coverage to raise awareness, why are you there? William may bear a billion grudges against the press, but he needs them. 



Back to Kate. She went low-key with her recent-favorite pendant necklace and a new Cartier watch. I don't recognize her earrings, either. At first glance they look like the yellow Kiki McDonoughs, but they are clearer than that, so I think Kate may be trotting out some new swag today. We haven't really seen her since her birthday, so any number of these pieces could be birthday gifts from family. Speaking of new swag, I reported on this on my Instagram account, but at the NPG Gala Kate was wearing a new ring tucked in next to her engagement ring and wedding band. 




I believe she is wearing it again today. Perhaps Tiffany's endless commercials are getting to me, but it reminded me of their celebration collection and I am convinced it is a present from William to commemorate George's birth, despite the fact it is only surfacing now. Her engagement and wedding rings are so special and symbolize her intimate union with William. I think a ring for George would be the appropriate and logical addition on that particular finger, but obviously, this is pure speculation.

James Whatling/Splashnews.com

I was happy to see Kate carrying a clutch today. As we have discussed in the comments, it is always helpful to have something to do with your hands. She looked great today! That blue is perfect for her hair color and skin tone, and speaking of her hair--well done! It was perfectly styled in luscious layers that framed her face flawlessly.  In fact, her hair looked almost exactly the way it did in the days after her wedding when she was photographed in Anglesey. Gorgeous, gorgeous. This was a wonderful Valentine's Day visit!



Happy Valentine's Day to you all! I hope everyone indulges in chocolate hearts and iced sugar cookies!

28 comments:

  1. Dear Anonymous:
    It has been in my mind to change the sentence you noted, and my day is so crazy, I forgot, but I am glad you pointed it out...and hope you understand why I didn't publish the comment. ;) Thanks for reading, and caring to comment. Happy Valentine's Day!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! The Duchess looked lovely on this outing. I would love it if you linked back to previous posts when they are mentioned in new posts! (ex. photographed the day after her wedding in Anglesey)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! I used to link to old posts, and I am not sure why I stopped. I will start doing that again and I will add links to this post! Thank you for the reminder/suggestion!

      Delete
  3. Great post Jane. I too wonder if the ring is a gift from Wiliam. I also think the watch and earrings also might be. You have Christmas & her birthday. I love the watch, it matches her engagement ring. She looked just stunning again.
    Hope William treats his beautiful wife to a special evening since they have not been able to spend the last two Valentines Day together. So this one should be very special to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pauline! As we chatted on FB, I am sure they spent their evening with their little Valentine. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, thanks Jane! I think she looked lovely although I must say I have seen this styling before for me it was boring. Also I did not really like her tan it runs in the Middleton family somehow. Maybe it would also serve her right if she had done something with her hair it was windy and she keeps messing with it I think it is unprofessional.
    I have a suggestion I think it would be really interesting to read and write about the relship btw William and his father and the media. I have never heard about your reference of horrible people. What is all about? I was suprised of his remarks actually as he should know better everywhere they go they make headlines. Also bec of PD I understand his frustration. Happy Valetine Day to u! A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Ooops, I should have fleshed out that how story. I will do that in a post in the near future. William, Harry, and Charles have very unfortunate relationships with the press.

      Delete
  5. Yay! I lovedw this look from kate I was so hoping for a new dress. That coulour blue looks beautiful on kate really suits her. Her hair looked nice as well I think she is best at these engagements and in every photograph she is smiling.

    As for William I totally agree with you jane it's a Love/hate relationship with the press because of the history of his mother and also the intentse scrutiny. However he does need them to further his causes and highlight issues he thinks are important so he should watch what he says.

    But overall a lovely day for them both and I'm excited for Mondays enagement! I hope she doesn't disappear again after this though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't wear this color that often, but it is just remarkably good on her! I thought she looked amazing. Just a few hours to wait until today's event! :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely post on a lovely day! First of all Happy Valentines Day to you! <3
    This dress is very beautiful and with the perfect figure of Kate it is extra awesome! The moment I saw this dress I thought it was Stella McCartney dress she wore to NPG with that long cartier necklace. It is the same same colour! I wonder why Kate pick two almost similar dresses of same colour! :D Here's the dress
    http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Kate-NPG-National-Portrait-Gallery-Blue-Stella-McCartney-Ridley-Stretch-Cady-Dress-Both-SPLASH.jpg
    Anyway you're doing a great job. This is my favorite blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it has been some time since she wore the last one and this has a different silhouette and structure. She wears pink and yellow in the same shades. I think this color stands out because it is eye-popping and looks great on her!
      Thanks for reading!! I am so glad you like my blog. :)

      Delete
  7. I loved the dress and she looked to be in great spirits. I just hate that Kate chooses this wonderfully detailed dresses around the collars and such and then her hair covers them. It seems pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree! Enough with the high school prom hair...even if it is for william, when she makes a public appearance, the public want to see her, not the hair.

      Delete
    2. Well, actually, I have to say that the majority of the time I like her hair long. There is something very Kate about her long hair. It would be strange if she stopped wearing it down. Some dresses need hair up more than others. I don't think this was one of them. We could still see the detail around the neckline. Sometimes she needs to wear it up for the dress, true, but in general it does come down to personal preference.

      Delete
  8. Interested CanadianFebruary 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM

    Loved this look, and it was nice to see that Kate was enjoying herself. It was also nice to see a lovely new watch. About the new eternity ring, I was wondering if perhaps, given its placement, Kate meant it to act as a doorstop/ringstop; her valuable engagement ring seems a bit loose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to think it has some meaning, whether is is a birthday present or something that William and Kate are marking privately, or a George ring. She had two little bumps put on the engagement ring to tighten it up and if she did indeed have a problem with the fit, I think this would have been dealt with earlier. BUT, this is just my guess. :)

      Delete
  9. Perfection! Loved every element of this look!

    -Brooke from South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when that happens. :) Thanks for reading and commenting, Brooke!

      Delete
  10. Hi Jane happy Valentines day.

    Oh the Duchess looks lovely. And I like the blue outfit and also the blue dress in the 2nd picture, the one with the lace detail on top. very nice. I would love to by it for my girlfriend, but how do guys buy dresses for their girlfriends ?. I haven't got a clue 'bout it. Dunno about sizes or anything like that.

    I was a little too harsh on her hair last time, only because it was a formal event, and felt it it covered the beautiful necklace, but on reflection, and seeing the youtube video, see looked so beautiful anyway and, my gosh what a nice speaking voice she has, proper tonation and proper diction too. U might call it a British accent, we call posh. haha.!!

    My girlfriend who is a first nation Canadian, has the same hair, look and colour as kate. Her hair being extremely long down to her knees, she ties it most times in a thick plait and flips it in the front of her shoulders. It's the only way she manages it most times. I like kate's hair long and today it looked beautiful and luscious, despite the wind blowing. She really does seem happy and lively, I like the kidz cheering at school assembly. Wow what a treat..The place must've have been buzzing. I remember in school sometime the headmaster would bring on a boy band to make an appearance and the girlz would scream lol. The boyz would just groan. Maybe Will and kate will introduce it as a component on the Australian and NZ tour next . why not..?

    Cheers for the update Jane

    Love to all. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little swamped on my end and didn't respond to your last comment, but I didn't think it was too harsh. You said it yourself, you want her to be perfect. :) But, we don't want her to be too perfect. She has to stay charming and authentic Kate. That Erdem was lovely, lovely. Kate certainly has an eye for beauty. :) Looking forward to this evening's event!

      Delete
  11. Hello, Jane ! I love that cornflower blue dress, much better than the Stella one. That last photo shows Kate so happy, it is a pleasure to look at it; not only because it's Kate but because seeing anybody behaving in such a natural, enthusiastic way is heartening ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, William and Kate are clearly so very happy with each other. That might be my favorite picture of the two.:)

      Delete
  12. http://www.popsugar.com/Kate-Middleton-Workout-Clothes-34038960#photo-34038969

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great post Jane!! I thought Kate looked wonderful today, the dress, the jewelry, her hair, everything really came together great. I've noticed that she seems to come alive at events involving children. She looks so much more relaxed and the picture of her laughing was great. At the NPG gala I thought she looked a little uncomfortable, maybe a little nervous, but when there are children around that seems to disappear.

    Seeing how lovely Kate looked today is really making me look forward to the Austrailian tour. And I am seriously coveting all of her jewelry today. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauri. Yes, I think she really is in her element when dealing with children. She obviously is a natural with them and I think that probably lends confidence. It is always nice to have a date to grown-up events to keep everything relaxed. :)
      Oh my gosh, I am very excited for Australia!!

      Delete
  14. I think the dress is perfect... both the color and length. It's very figure flattering and shows just how thin Kate is now. She's back to her pre-wedding weight. Unfortunately her long hair takes away from her beautiful smile and whatever jewelry she might be wearing. She could lose about six inches and it would still be long enough. I know she will never please everyone and this is just one person's opinion. Her weight and her hair seem to be two of her obsessions, but I still believe she is a huge asset to the royal family and William made the best decision of his life when he married her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about her 2 obsessions you nailed it thanks. I hope asthe jewellery and hem line thing suddenly changed LOL, she goes back to more appropriate hair style, her weight is a disappiontment for me too skinny, which means the skinny awful jeans are back soon probably in AU. Sad. A.

      Delete
  15. Interested CanadianFebruary 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM

    Re the so-called eternity ring. Having visited other websites, I have learned that there is actually a thing called a ring guard, a ring which prevents a more valuable but looser ring from slipping off. I am of the opinion that the third ring Kate has very recently been sporting is exactly that, perhaps fancier than some.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!