Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Dress Like the Duchess: Selections from Brooks Brothers' Spring 2014 Catalogue

Friday, March 7, 2014

My Brooks Brothers catalogue came in the past few days and I flipped through it and noticed a few repliKates that I want to share. Let me take a moment to say that I cannot think of a company that puts out more stunning catalogues. It isn't that other apparel places do not present beautiful editorial pieces, but there is something absolutely, luxuriously stunning about their models, the staging, everything. Really, really beautiful shoots out of Brooks Brothers.  But, to the clothes.

BB describes this dress as a blue lace, but it looks a little like eyelet to me. As a repliKate it is a mix between Kate's Erdem from the deplaning in Canada and the white McQueen from the South East Asia tour. And certainly is a perfect match for her signature navy blue.

Brooks Brothers Spring 2014 Catalogue

Brooks Brothers Online

Since this was the spring catalogue, BB is already gearing up for summer activities. Derby Day is a big deal here in the good 'ole USA. Whereas some of you get to wear hats to weddings and all number of formal occasions, for better or worse, we just haven't maintained that tradition here. I have actually been invited to a wedding in France this summer, and I realized that if I go I can wear a hat. I can wear a hat to a wedding and pretend I am Kate Middleton!! I am so excited and am scouring the world for the perfect chapeau. Back to Brooks Brothers. Here, Derby Day refers to the Kentucky Derby and there are preppy parties all over the United States with Pimms and hats and other fun things. Perhaps it is secretly National British Colony Nostalgia Day, I don't know. If I seem sarcastic, I am not. I think it is great! Brooks Brothers suggests this beautiful pale green silk dress.

Brooks Brothers Spring 2014 Catalogue 

It reminds me of a mix between the pale green dress Kate wore once to polo before she married, and the green Libélula dress she wore in May of 2012 to one of William's games. (If you see the old post, the green dress from before her marriage is on there, too. Sleeveless, v-neck...) If you read the old post, you will also notice that I did not love the Libélula dress at the time, which would legitimately leave you asking why I am suggesting a replicate. But, this isn't an exact copy, I think it blends the best of both elements in the two polo dresses featured on Kate. 



Derby Day is still a whiles away--as is that French wedding I am planning for--but it is never too early to start thinking... ;)


10 comments:

  1. Jane, I appreciate your blog and all the varied topics you share. It keeps things interesting, specially when there is nothing of Kate to report. I was reading another blog dedicated to her and the readers are sharing their disappointment that she is on another vacation. Alas, it seems that the bloom is off the rose! Im still hoping that Kate steps up to her position and makes use of her privilege. She has the potential to be an agent of positive change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you come by even when Kate hasn't been out.
      Yes, there is a certain sense of discontentment, even here, in some of the comments. But, I think that will probably always be the case. Most readers are perfectly comfortable with Kate's workload to date, and with her taking this vacation. It is certainly something people will disagree on. I don't think we should expect to see Kate as active as most want for several years. I have been a little surprised (but not unhappy) with how dedicated she has been to staying true to her own wishes when it comes to raising George. Obviously, she wants to be there with him, AND balance a certain workload for the palace. I think thus far she has done that brilliantly. I don't think we will see a big increase. I think it more likely we will see another pregnancy, the first trimester of which she may be very sick, another 9-months of occasional engagements, and another protracted period of her staying with her children and soaking up her time with them. She doesn't owe anyone these days that will be gone so soon--not to my mind at least. I wouldn't worry. Most people understand her position and I think the majority will wait patiently as she sorts it all out. She still has an extraordinary and positive impact on the lives she touches, and that shouldn't be discounted. Anyway, those are my thoughts. :)

      Delete
    2. Jane, I appreciate your response. Your projection seems very likely. There is a lot of expectations for Kate but she seems to do things her way. She has a lot of power while coming forth as humble and unassuming. Thanks again Jane for taking the time to write.

      Delete
    3. My pleasure, I obviously love thinking about all this stuff. Thank you for reading!!

      Delete
  2. that outfit that little girl is wearing is too mature for her. I don't like when people dress up such young children in "older" peoples' clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I didn't love the little girl's outfit and I don't like when people dress children as adults. Usually BB is better with their kids clothes...

      Delete
  3. Love the green dress looks stunning on the model! I hope you find something lovely for the wedding Jane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, simmy23! I will keep you posted. ;)

      Delete
  4. Have to disagree with you, Jane. The green floral dress is too short. It almost looks like a shirt, sans leggings. In the catalog pic it definitely looks short waist-ed. Finding dresses for long torsos is always a problem as Kate sometimes has shown, especially at the Santa Barbara polo match, or even her blue engagement dress. I looked back at the older post you linked and I notice, except for the sleeveless green dress you like (which I don't like as it's too short and skimpy looking) all the other dresses are longer. I think the longer skirt looks more proportional to the length of the bodice, while still showing Kate's toned legs. Tall girls have to keep proportion in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, or should I say, MOM! The floral green dress is a leeeetle too short. I would have given you the yellow dress from Canada had you mentioned it, and might even stretch as far as to grant you the polo dress, but I absolutely draw the line at Issa's engagement dress. That was perfect. :)

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!