Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Day-of-Rest Round Up (April 8th)

Monday, April 7, 2014

Reader Sam from London pointed out the Tin Tin resemblance. LOVE it.

The Cambridges are resting "today." As I write, it is almost 9:00am on April 8th in Wellington. If you thought flying from the U.S. to Europe or Europe to Us was tough, wrap your mind around that time change. All my "beat jet-lag" tips are useless with a gap that large. I imagine that George may be particularly struggling with a very whacked out internal clock right now, so today may not be as restful as William and Kate might hope. Thankfully, as pictured in yesterday's post, Nanny Maria is along on this trip and she should be able to facilitate more rest for Kate. A very quick video of the family deplaning here, as well as this one from more of a distance:


And this full report from Sky:





Yesterday evening was a little crazy for me, so I have some wrap-up items to tide us over to tomorrow. I think most everyone is still oohing and aahing over the beautiful Catherine Walker, and I really enjoyed this angle showing the almost fluted-looking sleeves on the side, with another row of buttons. Because she was carrying George, I don't think we got the full effect on the live stream when they deplaned.

Governor-General of New Zealand Flickr
Kate's Catherine Walker was identified by Anna N. as the "Russian Greatcoat" pictured below in green. In addition to the very prominent buttons, part of this coat's drama is this swinging skirt. It has such a dramatic flair--Kate knew what she was doing when she kicked the tour off with this!


Video of the welcoming ceremony is not super high quality, but it certainly gives a good sense of the mood and events. The traditional tribal welcome was a ceremonial occasion highlighting New Zealand's history. Let's be frank, everyone is sort of thinking about this dance. Are we talking about? Not so much, but these sorts of royal events always kind of draw out the sassy middle-schooler in some people--I may have been a sassy middleschooler myself, so let's be bold and jump in here. 


Reports indicate that there was a bit of a dust-up over what exactly the dancers would wear to welcome the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Apparently, traditionally, the dancers tend to wear nothing at all under the grass skirts, but according to the Express, they were asked to wear black underpants just this once. I don't know that this sat too well with all the dancers, this is after all a ceremonial dance with a long tradition, but it would seem they compromised with a thong. 

William--maintaining eye-contact--retrieved the spear from the lawn and thus the royals were acknowledged as friends and allowed to come on the lawn. Governor-General of New Zealand Flickr
the ladies were also asked to make a few concessions. You may or may not recall that William and Kate were welcomed in Marau in the Solomon Islands by topless ladies. Let's just say that Kate's ebullient and bubbly nature cannot suppressed. I think we might have a Duchess with a little sassy middle-schooler inside, too. She was not able to fully maintain her composure. Before anyone really lights off at the Duchess, ask yourself: have you ever been in a situation where heaven and earth demanded professional decorum, and yet, for some reason you were absolutely unable to hold it together? Ask yourself, and let he who hath no sin, cast the first stone. 


I enjoyed seeing her levity and sense of humor in these shots, because it had been a rather rough week for Kate. Just days before, French magazine Closer published pictures of the Duchess sunbathing topless. It had been a very stressful time, and then to almost immediately be confronted by this? Kate clearly is a very balanced woman who can see the irony and humor even in the most uncomfortable of places. She knew the comparisons would be all over the papers, look at that crook of the eyebrow. Oh, she knew:



To be clear, I don't think the Closer photos were a laughing matter, and I know Kate didn't either, but we all have the prerogative to find the good (here, good=humor) in the bad. As bad as it was, and as awkward and it most have been for her, she laughed. Sometimes, things are so uncomfortable, they become hilarious. The awkward moments that I have regaled my friends with over a drink in the after hours cannot be counted. I can only imagine Carole, Pippa, and Kate having a post tour lunch together. You have to find the silver lining in life and move on. Back to our little dance yesterday. perhaps to stifle bad associations for Kate, the ladies were asked to also break tradition and wear tops, and it seems they very kindly agreed.

Governor-General of New Zealand
For all United States readers, some of you may find these welcome dancers familiar. Nope? Can't place them? I will refresh your memory... Similarly attired men from New Zealand performed a fierce dance in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. during celebrations commemorating the MLK March. I have no idea what the connection was for DC and the haka dance, nor am I sure why it popped into my head, but...it did:


Any sarcasm aside, these tours are meant to highlight these very events. To keep the history and tradition of various cultures alive, by exposing locals and foreigners alike to the stories of the host nation. You can read more about the "menacing" warrior here. I know some of you may frown, but if we can't all discuss this stuff here, where can we? Back to professional blog reporting...

This is really my first exposure to New Zealand media, and either I have been landing on the same stations, or the folks down there have quite the sassy sense of humor themselves. This video about the royal reporters reporting the tour is quite funny and just a tad irreverent:


Someone on Twitter mentioned that George's little baby teeth are visible in some pictures, which is absolutely true. I couldn't find the tweet, my feed is a bit of a tangled mess, but I do recall William or Kate mentioning that George was teething a month or so ago, so it seems he successfully pushed them out. We should get more snaps of him tomorrow when the event centers around the little prince meeting other babies. 

I have been loving all your comments and am going to try and respond to some soon. This tour will have me a little swamped, so I will try to keep up! Welcome, by the way to all our new readers and followers on Twitter, Facebook, and Bloglovin'! 

28 comments:

  1. Could George be any more cute? Great comparison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, I am pretty taken. Totally precious little guy.

      Delete
  2. I felt that Kate's deplane look really resembled this look of Diana's https://www.pinterest.com/pin/421157002626043568/ which was also made by the same designer! Thanks for the great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Glad you mentioned this outfit, because it also reminded me of that one, too! It is very reminiscent! Thanks for sharing that! Diana and Kate both like the "regimental" look. :)

      Delete
  3. Kate is such a strong woman. She can laugh at herself, but give that steely eye. Thanks for post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post to hold us over until tomorrow, Jane, you are so thoughtful. I too thought of that event with the topless ladies and how Kate must have been feeling. She was almost crucified by the press and some of her fans for daring to go topless on a private holiday with her husband and then less than a week later she was confronted by a whole bunch of topless women! I'm sure her and William had a great laugh over the irony of that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember I was just cringing and then she broke down in giggles and all I could do was smile. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane. I'm a New Zealander and follow your blog. I think the men wearing a black thong when doing the haka is pretty standard. I've never heard of the men 'going commando'. Likewise I've never heard of the women who participate in the welcoming ceremony doing it topless. But someone is welcome to correct me. As for the MLK memorial connection, apparently Mr King's daughter, Bernice, visited a church in New Zealand, and invited members of that church to come to DC and perform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dale! First of all, super stoked you read the blog! You all are lucky to have William and Kate in your neck of the woods! Secondly--I am definitely going to take the word of a local over the news reports of the foreigners. :) So, basically, there was a pretty long write up over this whole issue in several foreign papers. I have no idea where they got their info, but there have been faulty stories in the past. I am a little relieved to hear that this is par for the course, and not an accommodation. ;)
      The MLK thing is very cool! I remember A LOT of Americans were certainly perplexed, because the pictures were all in the news. Thank you for the follow up! Looking forward to the rest of the this tour for the clothes, and to get to know New Zealand better!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Jane.

    loved the Tin-Tin comparison and baby George. I was absolutely mad about Tin Tin when I was a kid. OMG.!!!! I used to rush home from school fast as I could to catch the next episode, and damn they always kept u hanging for the next "Herges adventures of Tin-Tin". Seeing baby George and the little hair curl, made me laugh brought back happy childhood memories.. Thanx for that.

    Baby George is so cool, big, strong. healthy looking. It's almost like he already acts and looks like a "A King" in a strange sort of way. I'm still trying to get my head around the head-of-state sort of thing. I mean he is just a baby, but he's not just any baby though is he..? Know what I mean. ??. All babies are special I guess..

    Just had a thought Jane, what if the Duchess had wore exactly the same red outfit, but in a trouser suit version with.red shoes. ? I design products, so I can see things from a design angle. I've got a great look for baby George in my head for when he gets older, and the blue jumper with baby Georges name across it was cool innovative too imo.

    All the best Jane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would certainly have been eye-popping. We are wondering if Kate will debut a pants suit look on this tour...it will make headlines if she does! Not that she isn't already making headlines... :)

      Oh my gosh, I loved the TinTin idea. Super cute! It is interesting to look at George and think of his future. Such a small baby, and so much coming his way. Of course, it remains to be seen if New Zealand and Australia remain in the Commonwealth after the Queen passes away. Time will tell.

      Haven't heard from you in a bit, Sam. Good to hear from you!

      Delete
  8. Love this blog. Love to see what Kate wears. Can you or anyone tell me does Kate wear panty hose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So happy you read and comment! Yes, Kate does wear sheer stockings almost on every public occasion. Sometimes they are more visible than other times, but they are there.

      Delete
  9. Being a kiwi (New Zealander) I totally agree with Dale. Grew up surrounded by this culture and have never ever seen anyone without underwear on male or female - ever. I believe that this information was someone taking the UK journalists seriousness on the occasion as being a little bit too silly. This is basically rubbish.

    Love your blog. Keep up the good work - looking forward to following the tour with you

    Kiwi Nic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nic! Yay, more New Zealanders! I am entirely ready to trust your judgement and Dale's over the foreign newspaper reports. Hopefully, the ladies who do these dances don't find the blog and light up over my insinuation that they often run about uncovered. :) There has been discussion amongst the bloggers about the Kiwi personality, and we have been very interested to note the more laid back vibe you all have to our sometimes more strait-laced personalities. :)
      Thanks for reading! I am very much looking forward to everything we are going to see and experience during this tour!

      Delete
  10. The news report is killing me! Very loosey goosey with the language. And their accents! I've got a friend from Auckland, and I'm pretty used to his accent, but these are blowing me away. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to see the haka performed and have never seen it sans "covered bits" anywhere. I look forward to the three week fashion show we're embarking upon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane,

    I was wondering if you think there's any truth to the rumour about Catherine and Wills attending Guy Pelly's three day wedding extravaganza at Memphis in May shortly after the NZ and AUS tour? I'd be interested in your opinion and the practicalities of the trip so soon after the tour. Would love to see a post if you have any spare time :)

    Kind regards,

    Nerida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nerida:

      Perfect timing! When I saw your message this morning I was excited, because I had written a post about the Pelly wedding, but hadn't actually set it live online yet. It is up now, so let me know if you think my theory has merit. Basically, I don't know, but most likely scenario seems to be that William will come on his own. But the entire piece is here: http://fromberkshiretobuckingham.blogspot.com/2014/04/will-cambridges-come-to-united-states.html

      Best!
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Hi Jane,

      Thank you for your response and your post! I tend to agree with you about Catherine not attending and that was my initial reaction after such a long tour with a young child. But I don't have the insider's point of view that you do! I could see William and Harry flying in and out but I'm not quite sure if they actually will. I think it would cause bedlam!
      I enjoyed reading your post about the role of Pelly in the early relationship stages of Catherine and William - I had no idea he was allegedly such an influencing factor in that turbulent time.
      Keep up the good work, Jane. I can't believe how quickly your posting - it's great! Just make sure you get some rest!

      Kind regards,

      Nerida

      Delete
  13. Bought a copy of the "Daily Mail" this morning--there is a pull-out section of gorgeous George pictures and his two little bottom teeth are very obvious.
    There has been comment that Catherine has lost weight--having seen George, she has probably spent the last few months chasing after him---very good for the waist-line, as I remember very well. Ah well, at least there is a nanny now to share the chasing.
    Lovely pictures; great reports. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw last night they were going to have a pullout section! It sounds cute!!
      Yes, I think she is still dropping her "baby-weight" and imagine she wants to get back closer to her wedding weight. I think she looks STUNNING right now, but we shall see how much more she decides she wants to lose.
      Thanks so much for reading. This is such a fun time to be blogging!

      Delete
  14. Very beautiful everything, Jane. Thanks for Kate's workout. I like the photo of her in the white bikini. If only I could have myself the body like hers. I have been trying for two years now to take off my baby weight, I have been trying Jillian Michaels and Tracy Anderson's workout. They are ok but somehow these indoor workouts don't work with me the way I expect them to. So I have changed and been running four times a week for a month now and have lost some weight. And yes, you're absolutely right, it has to be the lifestyle and not the chore.
    Thanks for all those great posts. Kate is lovely in red and George is a beautiful baby.
    Greetings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! That is a page that usually is up all the time, but someone--maybe it was you?--requested a particular post on Kate's workout, and that post I have almost completed and will put on the blog when we aren't super distracted by this tour. :) If you liked the Workout page, you will like the post I will put up. I too have never found indoor workouts to really help, and hopefully the piece I have written will contribute some ideas to help with that. If you hate your workout, unless you are super disciplined, it seems to me it just won't ever really take. Anyway, I will be interested to hear your thoughts when I get around to posting the workout thingy.
      Kate is sure looking amazing. I can't wait for this afternoon!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, Jane, it was me who requested a particular post on Kate's workout and diet.:) I have noticed that what I have read was the separate page (which I haven't noticed before, probably because I always hurry to se more photos) and I just thought you've done it that way. However it will be wonderful to have a special post on that topic.
      I can't wait to see more information on the tour!!! It is all so inspiring.
      Hasta luego!!!

      Delete
  15. I love this family! So excited to see all these pictures. Great reporting Jane! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! Glad you are following the tour here!

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!