Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Down Under Day 16: Kate Wears Hobbs for Walk to Uluru

Tuesday, April 22, 2014



The couple arrived by the rock for a welcome ceremony before they viewed the sunset by the monument:













A traditional welcome dance was performed that included rhythmic dancing and singing. I heard reported that the words of the song are about a mother's right to protect her child, which I am sure resonates deeply with Kate as a new mother. (Pardon the partial nudity, I am just trying to give you the authentic experience.)




Kate had changed from her Roksanda Ilincic from earlier into a recycle: her grey and white Hobbs from July 2012



I love this dress and thought it the perfect choice for this event. Again, cool light colors for the hot desert climate. Just like on her first wear of the Hobbs dress, she wore her Pied a terre Imperia wedges that match the color of the dress so nicely. Although, it seems the red of the sand and dust were doing their best to change it up a little:



It seems Kate may have taken off her necklace from earlier in the day, perhaps knowing she would be gifted a new necklace, but she stuck with her Catherine Zoraida double leaf earrings:



Several of you have asked about her necklace from earlier, which she has just recently debuted. It is a charm necklace from Asprey, identified by My Small Obsessions. The three charms are a mushroom, an acorn, and a maple leaf. I am sure you know two of the three. The acorn is all over the Middleton family crest as their particular symbol, while the oak leaf featured prominently in Kate's wedding symbolism because of its connotations of strength and endurance. but, what about a mushroom? 





William and Kate were shown traditional artwork as they sat by a fire. I don't now about that. Gathering around a fire in that heat wouldn't have been my choice. I am amazed at how Kate seems to keep effortlessly cool, always looking glamorous and unaffected by the heat.



Kate seemed to really enjoy the brief tea party the couple shared with local students from the territory:



Obviously, the highlight came when William and Kate received a private guided tour around the base of the Uluru.







William and Kate then continued on alone to explore the rock in a little more privacy.



Most of the party returned, while a few security officers stood at the mouth of the trail:


And we waited... And waited... It actually wasn't that long. :)


Part of the excitement, I think, rested not just in Ayers Rock as a beautiful landmark, but in the fact that Diana and Charles stopped her for a photocell themselves during a trip to the Outback. 





The Cambridges will stay the night very close by at Longitude 131, a luxurious hotel that allows you many of the benefits of camping without actually camping. I must remember this hotel. Talk about a win/win. 

Longitude 131
Kate seemed a little subdued today. It was impossible not to notice. When she sat next to William by the fire, she ever so briefly slumped her shoulder against his before straightening and separating as the cameras clicked. On almost no hard evidence, it is ridiculous to try and nail down the reason, but I don't think it impossible that the princess might be getting to the end of her rope with this tour. The fact is, we are rolling into the third week and I think everyone is more or less exhausted. I am sure that as much as she is enjoying Australia, somewhere deep down Kate is ready to escape the daily cameras and the outfit changes, and the strange beds and be home in Kensington Palace with her own things around her, with her routine, soaking up the springtime in quiet.

Happily, by the end of William and Kate's private walk around the rock she seemed to have regained her laughter, but hopefully a good night's sleep under the stars will bring back our bubblier Kate.


19 comments:

  1. I love this recyle, it was one of my fave back then and guess what I like this kind of wedges too! :-)))
    I see your point, they are on the road for 3 weeks soon but most of the time it was fun not so serious than the previous tours. I hope this expereience helps the Duchess to find her way back to work, for everybodys sake. And I also wish she would pay a little less homage to Diana-I know we commenters keep on mentioning them on the same page and blaming her not being like Diana was- but this constant comparison to Diana -the colours, the patterns etc. for me is a bit too much, I hope you see what I mean.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitate to make comparisons because it seems to be such a very volatile topic. These sorts of events can't help but draw, if not a comparison, at least a mention. Matching their outfits and moods is a little much, certainly. The problem is, there has been a reaction to any mention of Kate's name with Diana's, but in fact, Diana is Kate's late mother-in-law. She is William's treasured parent, and George's biological paternal grandmother. No one should want to wipe her from memory. While the creepy NewsWeek covers are weird, it is not reasonable to argue that Kate does not think of Diana, look at her sartorial choices and have her in mind at some of these more "iconic" moments. I don't think Kate feels any pressure to fill anyone's shoes, though. She is very much her own woman. I see your point, but I want to be clear that while I wasn't making connections to wardrobe or moods and manners, I think it is too extreme a reaction to try to erase any reference to Diana when talking about Kate. She wears her sapphire ring, after all--William clearly wants to keep his mother's memory alive and close by. We need to find a balance. Discussing and referencing Diana has a place, but it always seems to be taken much too far. We need to guard against the opposite extreme. I think we agree on this point, though. :)

      Delete
    2. Do not getme wrong I think it is really reallynice of her to commemorate these iconicmoments and letsbe honest in connection with Diana there are lots of, I just think she should a bit move on with these things but as you mentioned balancing is not easy from neither part. We readers wish her the best and wish them the best. Always nice to comment here moreover talk to you,agree with you or disagree sometimes. Have a lovely day!A.

      Delete
  2. I love this hobbs dress. The shape really suits her. She does look a little forlorn, I think your right Jane perhaps she is tired. It is wonderful to go on holiday and experience new things but this hasnt exactly been a holiday for them and it must be exhausting carrying out all those engagements , whilst having to look perfect smile and be interested. I dont think I could. I bet she is longing for home, her family and for George to settle into his own routine again. Also if George is teething then he may be waking up at night.

    But maybe she annoyed about the pictures of their private day off being shown around the world? Just a thought.
    Also Jane will you do a post about what you think kate and william will do after the tour? Just wondering if you have any thoughts on whether they will step up the engagements and if kates home fashion choices will be a bit different. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simmy! Gosh, I am so slow to get around to all these lovely comments. I apologize. A little underwater here...
      I don't think that the problem was the pictures from Gov House. Although, I obviously have no way of knowing why she was subdued and it could be any number of reasons, I think we can rule out the "reaction to paparazzi shots" because, honestly, they knew the possibility was high and this response would be a little too extreme. Plus, she is a strong girl, she really holds up very well with the paparazzi attention. Remember when the topless photos broke? That was obviously a reaction. They were both strained and drawn and we all knew they were upset, but this was a significantly greater invasion of her privacy and...modesty. That was just awful. This, wasn't comparable.

      Apparently, Kate has instructed staff to schedule more engagements, so we will be seeing more of her. (Yaaay!) I will post about how I think this will impact her fashion in the tour wrap-up after they head back to Britain. We will need something to talk about! ;)

      I am bummed you didn't like the pink McQueen, but hoping the next dress is a win for you!

      Delete
  3. I think she is doing the Diana thing for William. I can just imgine how is beloved mother is on his mine this tour. The media is also playing a big role in keep comparing Kate with Diana which is not fair to either beautiful women.
    I wish they did not take to picture that look's like his parents. Let these two make their own marks in their lives.

    And why does Kate need to find her way back to work for everybodys sake? She does not have to do anything for us fans. Let her me a wife and mother.
    Those two are what is important to her at this moment. Her big job is to support William which she does well. She will do great things when the time comes. But in the mean time let's let her do her mommy and wife thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not want to go into the explanation what I meant because we are not on the same page here in connection with being a mom and working too. But I think it would do good for her confidence too to raise the level of outings.A.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps she is feeling the heat more than you realize (outwardly cool, but inwardly sweltering). I also find that when I travel digestive issues can be a problem. It would be even more embarrassing for someone in the spotlight. And let's face it, travel (even for fun, which this certainly is not) can be exhausting. If it's Tuesday, it must be Uluru....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. there are so many possibilities, we just can't really know. Nor do we need to. She can have some privacy. :) I was so happy to see her glowing again in Adelaide!

      Delete
  5. Perhaps she is feeling the heat more than you realize (outwardly cool, but inwardly sweltering). I also find that when I travel digestive issues can be a problem. It would be even more embarrassing for someone in the spotlight. And let's face it, travel (even for fun, which this certainly is not) can be exhausting. If it's Tuesday, it must be Uluru....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great, summery look! I liked this dress the first time she wore it and I like just as much this time. I hadn't really noticed Kate acting any differant, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if she wasn't just a little tired of it all and ready to go home. I've read some other posts about this event and Kate mentioned that George has been rather grumpy and out of sorts, so I'm sure that makes being away all day, shaking hands and making small talk all that much harder.

    I've decided that Kate should wear her hair up more often. Either the half up/half down or a ponytail, both are fine with me. Jane, since you must have an "in" at KP, would you please forward my request?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauri, I got on it, and you got results. ;) She sure looked lovely in Adelaide!

      Delete
  7. Hi Jane. I understand that it may take a toll to be under the microscope for public scrutiny, but she gets to travel in style! She will spend the night in s very posh resort, in complete privacy. I would be smiling from ear to ear and thanking the heavens for all the blessings I have been given. Smile Kate, life is so good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree she shouldn't complain, and she isn't. It is hard to say what was bothering, but a good point has been made. She may not have been feeling well. there are all sorts of possibilities, and we won't really know. Happy she perked up the next day! She is so good-natured. It just seemed quite abnormal.

      Delete
  8. I like this look, very casual for the surroundings but still has that sophisticated edge to it. I think Kate has looked so lovely all tour. Her choices have been well made except I do not agree with recycling on tours.

    I believe that that should be left to the home area. I understand why she does it (expenditure, being economic etc) but I believe that each country has put so much effort into every aspect that they have not cut corners on anything. Kate needs to reciprocate this through new clothes. Recycling can be done on one of her many internal trips at home but not overseas.

    Kiwi Nic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the recycling being kept at home, but another view would be that it's courteous to and possibly great fun for people in other countries to see up close the clothes they'd seen only in photographs. So a mix of already worn and new may be that middle line. Any comments pro or con in the press down under about the recycling?

      Delete
    2. I see nth wrong with it, altough she reycled more than she used to I think. If I could ask one thing it is her blue wedges and nude shoes that she should have left at home, my eyes need a break from them:-)) I think the other interesting point is the lack of NZ and Australian designers? A.

      Delete
  9. All this recycle/Diana comparison talk aside, I looked up Kate's charm necklace. I'm a charm collector and wearer so I was very interested. Much to my surprise - Yowza! At the very least that necklace with those three little charms is, at the very least, a $35,000.00 necklace. Prices aren't exact because, it appears, the oak leaf is no longer available so not listed on their website. They may be small but they are exquisite! Out of my budget but, nonetheless, exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Me too! I noticed the prices when I was pulling photos from Asprey and I thought, WOAH! :) Any ideas about the meaning of the mushroom? I have read strength and fidelity and all sorts of stuff...

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!