Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Down Under Day 17: Kate Wears Pink McQueen for Day in Adelaide

Wednesday, April 23, 2014




You know, everyone is tired. Low on sleep, high on coffee, pretty constant go-go-go--some cultures would consider this torture, I am just saying. Even Kate seemed drained yesterday. In the past 48 hours we have been watching the steady stream of lovely fashion choices. LK Bennett, Roksanda Ilinic, eyelets, sheath dresses, yadyada. Yesterday was a little rough. I liked the first Roksanda Ilincic, so I liked yesterday's clone, the Hobbs was cute the first run, and it was cute the second...and then, like a burst of atomic-charged energy, Kate stepped out of the plane this morning in Adalaide in a show stopper. This dress oozed sophistication. There could be only a few label possibilities. This beauty was McQueen. Maybe it's the last rally, but I am feeling a burst of excitement and rejuvenation. (It could also be the sugar rush from the three salted carmel chocolates I just consumed, but I hope it is the fashion.) This has truly wowed me.




Kate, perhaps feeling the confidence of how gorgeous she knew she looked, or perhaps the romantic night of glamping with William, or maybe knowing tonight she will be cuddling her baby George and home within a few short days, was glowing. Gone were the withdrawn and preoccupied looks of yesterday. She was a vision.




William and Kate quickly made their way to their waiting convoy and headed to Northern Sound System in Elizabeth. The suburb of Adelaide was founded in 1955 and named after William's grandmother, Her Majesty Elizabeth II. The Northern Sound System is a youth development through music facility. William and Kate visited with the young artists, heard some rap demonstrations and even got to try their hand at a little DJing.






I couldn't help but wonder if Kate was giggling remembering more private, but no doubt happy times. William and Kate visited her Uncle Gary at his island home in Ibiza while they were dating. Uncle Gary is a bit colorful and he treated the pair and Kate's family to a lavish vacation full of all sorts of interesting activities, including some DJ lessons for William. Uncle Gary spoke to Hello! about his home and the Middleton visit:
"The house is very relaxing and it's very, very secure. You've got walls all the way around so it's very difficult for people to pry on you." Of the trip in 2006, Gary says: "Carole asked if the family and Prince William could use it [the house]. We organized a whole itinerary for them, including going over to a neighbouring island on a boat.

"Back at the house a friend of mine was teaching William how to mix on the DJ decks and he performed to the whole family as they swam. So they all had the Ibiza experience from mud baths, to (nightclub) Pacha, to learning how to mix music."




Mandatory Mr. Security sighting! Lurking in the murky hallway... He is our own James Bond!


Let's break to discuss this breathtaking ensemble from the Duchess of Perfection. I have already given you a pretty healthy preview. I love it. The soft pink and nude LK Bennett sledge pumps, the delicate swish of the skirt, the feminine peplum, and that very Kate Middleton, deep v-neck. Swoon. This is just effortlessly glamorous. It felt very Grace Kelly or Cyd Charisse. It was ballerina beautiful; a very graceful dress. What Kate Wore has identified these as two separates, a peplum top and a pleated skirt, although I will probably just refer to it as a dress for all time. 



She carried her LK Bennett Natalie clutch and wore her Annoushka pearl earrings. Kate was also wearing the Asprey pendant again. I really like charms very much. To me, jewelry should have meaning, certainly some kind of sentimental foundation for you, but it is also nice when it actually physically represents something, as this lovely necklace does.


The rather deep v of this ensemble has split public opinion. I am rather a major fan. Kate has always had a penchant for the plunging neckline and I think she looks fabulous every time. Rumors that this is the lowest neckline Kate has worn as a Duchess are, however, false. You want me to walk you through it? Ugh, if you insist. It will be my pleasure. :)

First of all, you may have been a little caught up in the lace and the bustle, the flowers and music, or maybe you were dazzled by her blingy headgear, but Kate's wedding gown had a bit of a southward plunge itself:



You can always count on olden day favorite Issa to reveal just a little without going too far. Kate was glowing in this classic Issa jersey in Canada, one of her last wears of the once favored label:



Then in October of 2011 she dazzled us with two daring stunners. The scarlet Beulah:



And shortly after, this beautiful Amanda Wakeley as she stepped in for father-in-law Prince Charles at a Clarence House reception:



Let's not forget that most stunning of evening dresses, the dress that defines black-tie brilliance for all time, the radiant Jenny P from Our Greatest Team Rises. That is a bit of a plunge, you must admit:


The white McQueen from the South East Asia tour just qualifies:


The gold McQueen evening gown:



Heeello, Temperley!



That maroon marvel (Whistles) at the NPG:




 Should we count this Jenny P? I don't know, but let's since we are having fun:



Ooops, there it is again. All that sparkle deserves a picture:



And...Q.E.D. That kids, is what I call a scientific demonstration. I may have missed some, I am fallible, but we've snagged most. In any event, those are the (low)highlights. Obviously, many of these are evening dresses, so if you want to be a stickler--which you absolutely may, this is distinction central here--you can only count those dresses that are day-dresses.  That still leaves several outfits where Mrs. Cambridge dared to bare just a bit.

Back to today's festivities. The couple were gifted a skate board for George, which they seemed delighted by, that or their laughter was indication they secretly are planning to burn it. Kate is probably thinking about her baby getting all banged up, while William contemplates the fortune in protective wear. Uncle Harry would probably help George with this activity:





Speaking of George, his proud parents unveiled a plaque officially opening a plaza named in the little prince's honor.





William and Kate undertook an official walkabout before heading to their final engagement of the day:



The reception at Playford Civic Center hosted by the Premier of South Australia was the closing event. As they were walking in, Kate broke away to run over and greet a child trying to catch her attention with a gift. It was just another sweet moment from Kate, highlighting how delightfully in touch she is with her many fans. Still the girl from the home-counties who graciously understands the excitement of looking in from the outside:




It was the last engagement of the day for them, which makes sense when you consider the four hour flight back to Baby George. What a fantastic day! I certainly feel rejuvenated. Kate absolutely sparkled. Light pink is such a lovely color with her hair and complexion. It makes her brunette brows and long tresses all the starker, and she looked quite striking. Fabulous comeback after yesterday! 

53 comments:

  1. Hahha here comes me, Iam not enthusiastic about this dress, I love the material and the style it is so good to see her plunging neckline so many coats in the last couple of weeks:-) but the colour does not give her any good, a bit washed out I think. Her hair is perfect she has such a lovely face. Though I grew a bit tired of nude shoes and these earrings. Thanks for the post!A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public dissent is allowed! :) I know others also felt that the pink washed her out, so you are not alone!

      Delete
  2. Amazing she looks lovely and the colour does - as you say - accent her complexion and hair. My one gripe is the peplum...imagine if it had a tweak and got a bit of life in it like the dress she wore for George's christening? THEN it would be my favourite!
    Wonderful post, and keep up the coffee knowing your efforts are much appreciated!
    (another killer plungy dress is the green bell sleeve one she wore to the sports person of the year awards last year)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed that one! Shoot. Yes, that is a great example! I might update the post...

      Delete
    2. P.S. Thank you for the encouragement. :) The coffee is pulling its weight!

      Delete
  3. Jane, I love reading your posts, so entertaining and very witty, keep them coming. Linda in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda!! I will do my best! Appreciate your encouragement! Thank you for reading... :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful outfit! My one complaint is the skirt hem -- Catherine's fuller skirts sometimes look uneven at the hemline. I don't know if it's her posture causing it or something else, but when she's photographed standing still, the hem will appear longer in the back and noticeably uneven. It lessens the perfection of this otherwise stunning outfit and the cream and navy knit dress she wore on Prince Edward Island, to name just two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Love the look, except for the back hemline of the skirt. The fact that it falls lower than the rest of the skirt makes it look unfinished, sadly. But the top! Oh, that was beautiful. The color and the fit of it were just gorgeous. But I want to use hem tape on that skirt, haha! :)

      Delete
    2. I didn't notice this issue so much with this dress (skirt), but I absolutely agree with you both on the PEI dress! It was so pretty, but what was up with that hemline?! It bothers me every time I look at pictures! I don't think anything is in the hemline... I don't know. Hopefully, she straightens this out soon!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful beautiful lady and that pale pink is divine. You must be in high Heaven, dear Jane ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day! I really enjoyed it all, yes. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of the peplum myself but Kate pulls it off (like pretty much everything she wears). I do like the colour though :) Jane, do you think Kate wears extensions or is all that hair her own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good question, but knowing how thick Kate's hair is naturally, I do not think she uses extensions. If her hair was washed and blown out, which is undoubtedly was, she could easily have this fantastic volume given how very thick her hair is to begin with. She really does have naturally fantastic hair. Lucky girl. :)

      Delete
  7. I love it! Kate is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear I am not in love with this. I love the top but I dont like the coulour or the skirt. I think it would have looked better if it was a pencil skirt. But she looked beautiful as she always does, I'm just not liking this look. Her hair looked lovely though. I also wish she would get some new nude shoes I think those lk Bennett ones have seen better days, and something more delicate and pointed would have suited the look better. Excited for tomorrow post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Well, different things strike different people. Hopefully you are struck by something she closes the tour out with! I am pretty excited for today. I am hoping she finishes with a bang and doesn't recycle anything.

      Delete
  9. Another gorgeous outfit----however will we be able to choose a favourite from all these?
    The neckline is perfect; I cannot see why anyone can complain about it, except, of course, those people who have to find something to complain about! I have been watching on TV, where the larger picture would reveal if there were anything to reveal.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it is going to be very hard to choose a favorite... :)

      Delete
  10. I love your site! your coverage, witty sense of humor, plus all the clothing details is fantastic. Thank you , mel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mel! So glad you enjoy it and come by and read!

      Delete
  11. This look wowed me! The colour doesn't look like washed out in my opinion. I like it and I think it suits her. The plunging neckline is perky and strengthens the ensemble. She is so stunning. One of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Definitely one of my favorites!!

      Delete
  12. She looks stunning as usual!!! Loved the chemistry between her and Prince William in the YouTube video.
    Does anyone know which watch she is wearing?
    PS: I love your blog!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :). This watch has really been popular! It's her Ballon Bleu by Cartier. I think it has a sapphire on the side, that little blue point. It's really beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  13. I love your blog!! The details you put into each post is amazing!!! She looked lovely as usual. The couples chemistry in the YouTube video was amazing. Thank you so much for your updates.
    xx
    PS: do you know which watch she has been sporting on this tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Happy to hear you enjoy the posts! :))
      She has been wearing her Ballon Bleu Cartier watch.

      Delete
  14. Once again, this is my favorite tour outfit!!! McQueen and Kate just fit together like two peas in a pod! I don't normally like Kate in pink but for me the plunging neckline took some of pinkiness away. I love the plunging neckline with the longer hem, it makes the dress look demure instead of risque. Very similiar to the McQueen she wore the Jubilee church service, longer hem line to offset the slim fit. My only comment would be that I would have loved to see her wear a new pair of earrings, getting a little tired of the pearls. Also, I don't know if the watch works with this outfit, it's chunky and a bit large, but it is by Cartier so I guess it's okay.

    Jane, in my last post I asked you to put in a word to KP asking the Kate wear her hair up more often and I wanted to say "Thanks", I just you had an "in" at KP. :)

    I'm glad to see that their night spent in the bush revived them for their last few days of what is a very long tour. I bet they can't wait to sleep in their own beds. Poor George, he's just getting used to the time change and it's time to fly home, hope he doesn't have too rough of a time adjusting back.

    As always, thanks for the great coverage Jane, this is my favorite Kate blogsite as you always have witty and interesting posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I was on top of it pronto; passed it along with speed! ;)
      I am loving this hair style. So flattering on her.
      Thanks for reading, Lauri! I do appreciate your comments and kind words!!

      Delete
  15. Thank you Jane for the best blog ever! Love your comments about Mr. Security :DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am stoked so many people enjoyed the post, and enjoy the blog as a whole! Hope you continue to drop by and have fun with me! :)
      Mr. Security is a dude, isn't he? I might need a page for him...

      Delete
    2. Agree… he looks rather dishy!

      Delete
    3. Am DYING over your comments about Mr. Security! They are hilarious!! Also, love the wit in the posts...

      Delete
    4. I hope we get to see Mr. Security in London or do think he just there for the tour? Great idea Jane, it would be fun to have a post devoted to the most intense looks!! There was some mention that they had 3 security teams, maybe some were from NZ and Australia and not all from London. Maybe we could all take a tour to Australia and hire him to our security guy!! :)

      Delete
  16. The neckline would have been great if this had been a cocktail hour type event, but not for duchessing about and bending over at the waist in front of children during a daytime event. I have never forgotten the photos straight down her front on her wedding day. Absolutely inappropriate. And this bland palette is crying out for bling relief, and there's none -none!? On the plus side, she's finally gotten the bending over length right, and the hair off her face. At the end of a grueling foreign tour -being away from home, usual food, routine -granted it's all set up for her but it's still hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate so rarely goes bold with her jewelry. She could certainly have jazzed this up a little, but it would certainly be a little out of character. I do have to say, I really like the charm necklace, although it was a little lost today.
      I agree, she will be happy to head home. :)

      Delete
    2. Dear Anonymous,

      I love the phrase "duchessing about"!!! I think I'll try "duchessing about" tomorrow at work :) You brought up a good point, I hope this neckline doesn't prove to be too revealing. Although one dress she wore in Los Angeles did that a bit and Kate put her hand up to protect her modesty.

      Delete
  17. I think this dress is an absolute winner. She looked a lot better in this outfit than in anything else I've seen her wear on this tour. Maybe it's because she felt very pretty in it and you can definitely see that. This is an outfit, that's glamourous yet understated and I think she should wear something like this all the time because it suits her so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the soft fluidity... So lovely. This was in the top winners of the tour for me, too. :)

      Delete
  18. So many different opinions on this dress but I have to say that I love it! I was a little surprised at the low neckline but it is such a classic cut and she always looks lovely in pink. This one is a winner for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised by the mixed reception, as well! I guess that's what keeps fashion fun!!

      Delete
  19. This is a very pretty outfit. Not my favorite, but lovely. I wonder if in "princess school" she was told not to run and has let it go in one ear and out the other...which I like. The gesture of running over to a little fan to meet her and accept her gift was very nice. I hope Kate never loses this enthusiasm for the people. This is endearing. Jane - looking over the pictures you posted of past lower necklines, I had to stop at the purple Issa jersey dress she wore in Canada. Check out William in that picture. I always chuckle when I see his Play-Doh hands. He looks like he is rolling a ball of Play-Doh. If you pay attention, he does this in a lot of pictures. Kate has her little clutches to hold, but what is William to do with his hands? When news of William and Kate is slow, it might be funny to compile all the pictures of him doing the Play-Doh hands! Thanks. Joan M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on something for William, since so many people have requested it. He does have his charming quirks. I like the way he straightens his suits. He kind of fiddles with the buttons as if he has just put it on. I love it! Good point with the play-doh hands! I am going to look through more shots...

      Delete
  20. Perfect to me! I really adore this outfit and I think blush pink is stunning on her. The shape too is perfect, a compromise between a simple dress and a more formal suit.
    My favourite so far (for this tour)
    Thank you Jane, you're introduction made may day!!
    Becky from Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it, Becky! You are right, a mix between a dress and a suit. Very well put! It is exactly right. Hope you are well! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanky you Jane, you're lovely!

      Delete
  21. I think she looks fantastic! Beautiful, as always, so polished and poised and still managing to look like she is having a good time. I love the pink on her. She can wear anything and look gorgeous. I also think that she is wearing a very limited selection of jewelry on purpose.

    Love your coverage, Jane, including the pix of Mr Security!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am excited so many have been enjoying the blog! She is not ostentatious with her jewelry, it is true, although even the small pieces are rather staggering in price. One of those charms is something like $5,000. It's intense...but lovely. :)

      Delete
  22. Again, I love how you dig deeper and incorporate background information/history in your posts, complete with great pictures! I thought the neckline was rather low, but seeing the pics you posted made me rethink, which is a good thing. Love the James Bond one, too. Hadn't seen that one! :)

    I also had a thought/question about the pictures taken of them at Government House. Why would the paps have taken those and not have taken any of George previously in the week, if they'd had the chance? It makes me wonder if Will and Kate went where they did on purpose, knowing there was a good view of them from that location, and that the nanny's habit during the stay was to go to a more hidden location outside to walk George. What do you think?

    Victoria, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jane, your coverage of the tour has been nothing short of amazing. I enjoy covering Kate now and then as a hobby, but the way that you go so in depth and with so much personality makes your coverage a joy to read. Thank you for all of your hard work with this tour - I will be a regular visitor from here on out! xo

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!