Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Down Under Tour Day 7 Wrap-Up: Palm Sunday in Dunedin, Rugby, Wine, and Shotover Jet in Queenstown

Sunday, April 13, 2014



After such a busy, busy day this recap is not just a formality, although if you want the blow-by-blow, it is right here! The day started with William and Kate landing in Dunedin. Kate was wearing an Emilia Wickstead in teal that was identical to the pink one she worn twice in the past. Maybe it is dyed, but it is just as likely she bought the dress in two shades, as she did with this Amanda Wakeley:


Recap of the whole day in video:



Interestingly, Emilia Wickstead is a New Zealand designer, although she is based in London. So, it was generally reported that Kate had finally worn a Kiwi label, but it isn't exactly the debut we expected for New Zealand. Kate has not deviated from her core labels yet, and has essentially squeezed Emilia Wickstead, already a brand she wears often, into the category of "home-designer."  Kate also had her Jane Taylor topper adorned with New Zealand's silver fern in matching teal felt.  She also wore the silver fern brooch she has already worn several times that is on loan from Her Majesty.



She finished with her green, suede Emmys, and I believe they are the same as the pair she debuted on St. Patrick's Day.



This was really a beautiful look and obviously a very solid win. Twitter follower @Katiemidleton's mom was in the crowd after the Palm Sunday service, and got to meet the princess:



Although only her necklace's chain was visible at the church, you can just see the pendant when she was wine tasting. It appears to be her Mappin & Webb necklace:



The couple headed to "Rippa Rugby" where Kate changed to her skinnies, Plimsolls, and a Jonathan Saunders jumper that I didn't really care for. I just didn't love this shirt. It looked like men's winter underwear... That was my mental association, and I just couldn't warm to it, although she herself looked incredibly fit and lovely.



William and Kate then flew to Queenstown where Kate deplaned wearing the same ensemble she wore to Auckland Harbour--Zara jacket, skinnies, Stuart Weitzman Corkswoons--but she exchanged the Breton top for a Gap gingham checked blouse. I very much liked this mixture.



The collared shirt upped the look to business casual, which was appropriate for the first stop on their agenda: wine tasting at Amisfield Winery. I will say I dropped by Gap and tried this blouse on. I love all the styles from Gap, but to me their quality is just not up to standard. As lovely as it is, I felt it would be worn out after just a few washes, so I did not purchase it, although I will be on the look-out for a repliKate. If you do plan to buy, it seems to run large. The sharp eyed @AnnieElizabethN IDed this shirt:





This is a money shot. What beautiful landscape!



Amidfield put on a bit of a party and canapés were served including these delicious looking beet cured salmon gravlax with dill cream and pickled cucumber:

Amisfield Winery Facebook

The Mirror reported on the couples' walk through the vineyard:
The prince told John Darby, owner of Amisfield vineyard in Queenstown, he would help keep frost off the grapes by flying a helicopter.
John said: "When it gets very cold we use helicopters to stop the frost over the vines by hovering above and stirring up the cold air."
William said: "You're joking?! That's an expensive way to do it!
"Wow! If you ever need a spare pilot, I'm here!"


There was no live feed of this visit, so I was not able to watch, but The Mirror also reported that Kate almost took a tumble as she walked by the vines and had to grab William to stop from falling over. I am a little surprised this hasn't happened yet, given how tall those wedges are, but she is almost always a pro in these towering shoes.

Lastly, William and Kate headed to Shotover Jet rides. Kate changed her Zara blazer on site for a Musto BR1 jacket and put her Plimsolls back on.


This is an awesome video of the boat going by. I have to say, today I decided I need to visit New Zealand. Exciting sports, stunning wine country...It was a very fun day!




It is Monday, April 13 in Christchurch, which is where the royals will be today. I will be back in a few hours to cover their engagements! 

17 comments:

  1. Great Coverage!!! Are Those Black Zara Jeans Or J Brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am 90% sure they are the Zara. The are a pretty solid match for Auckland and those were Zara. I haven't gotten as many greta pictures as I would like... :(

      Delete
  2. I've always wondered how she can walk (and bend down and climbing stairs and do sports...) on high heels so secure. I'm jealous...

    Thanks for the wrap-up!
    Looking forward to your post of Christchurch! Another sports event ... Their subject again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly a talent, but mostly core strength, I imagine. Ab muscles to the fore!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the coverage! The best shoes for a winery visit are wedges, congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I assume you are making a slight joke. I wouldn't risk them myself, but the intrepid Kate always goes big and she did pretty well. :)

      Delete
  4. Lol, I thought the same thing about the Saunders sweater!! Maybe it looked better in person. While I wasn't blown away by the Emily Wickstead dress, it's growing on me. My problem with it stems from the color, teal is just not my favorite, it's ok in small doses, just not head to toe. I liked her look for the winery visit but I do wish she would wear a newer pair of jeans, these look a little faded to me. But as always, Kate could wear a flour sack and look lovely. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one! I think it probably did look better in person, but in pictures... Oh well. I wish she had worn her jbrand which I believe to be better quality and a better wash. I like Zara, not always thrilled with the quality. I thought these looked pretty good, though.

      Delete
  5. Great post as usual. Thanks Jane! Just thought that I'd let you know that your post title should say Queenstown not Queensland. Queensland is a state here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rina! Thank you! I keep writing Queensland and then fixing it to Queenstown. I want it to be Queensland! :) Appreciate you pointing that out, though. It would have killed the numbers from search engines. :)

      Delete
    2. I want it to be Queensland already, even if we only get one day with them! I'm hoping to get out to the RAF base and catch a glimpse. My daughter and I watched the Royal Wedding and ever since she has been quite taken with the "Princess". :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane. So that is what one wears to a vineyard for wine tasting! She looks fabulous. The relaxed picture of Kate and William with wine glasses in hand and the mountain in the background looks like an magazine advertisement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that thought, too! It could be in a magazine! I wonder if they are allowed to use any of these images to promote their establishment? Probably not.

      Delete
  7. I read on another Catherine blog she was wearing her carbon grey Emmy pumps. At first sight I also thought they were the green she debuted on St. Patty's, but I just can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, I don't know. They look really green to me! What blog reported carbon grey? I am fairly certain they are green and I haven't seen it listed carbon on any of the Kate blogs I pal around with... I am happy to entertain the argument, I would be interested to see the angle....

      Delete
    2. I just did some digging. While these shoes are the shoes I am thinking of, it appears there are some who are calling them carbon. I might be crazy, color blind, or both, but they still look green to me! I will see if I can get more details from Emmy, but I just can't see the, grey...

      Delete
  8. I really dislike the way Catherine mixes her blues in her casual outfits. Her jeans and her jacket don't match or even work well here -- just because they're both blue doesn't mean they go together. The cork part of her wedges makes her look as if she's floating instead of having her feet make contact with the ground, and the proportions are off with the skinny ankle-length jean, the height of the shoe, and the shortness of the blazer.

    The blazer doesn't fit well either -- the shoulders need to be taken in and the sleeves are too long (we should be able to see a bit of her blouse cuff peeking out). The checked blouse is too busy with all of the buttons on the blazer, and the outfit just doesn't look appropriate for a tour where she's representing the monarchy. If I were the lady in the dress at the wine tasting, I'd be bummed that the Duchess showed up in at-home weekend wear rather than business casual.

    I'm disappointed in Catherine's selections this time around. The colors are certainly pretty, but the accessories and some of the details are off. Two additional buttons were added to the red coat she wore on arrival, and they're too much. The giant pockets on the McQueen are distracting, and the zippers on the Erdem cheapen the look. The Wickstead dress sits above her natural waist, the shoulders make her look broad, and the stitches for the closures are glaringly obvious. She has the money to have her less expensive clothes tailored, and she has access to top designers and bespoke garments, so there's no excuse for anything less than flawless fit.

    I guess I'm just frustrated because she could look more consistently polished with some simple steps, none of which would make her look extravagant to her audience. Oh, well. Her ponytail looked very sophisticated and elegant.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!