Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Countess of Strathearn Wears Jonathan Saunders and Goat For Day in Scotland

Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Earl and Countess of Strathearn were in Scotland today for a busy day of public engagements, in what was their first joint appearance since their fabulously successful tour Down Under in April. This was a fun visit because they weren't just in Scotland, they were in the area of Scotland in which their title is rooted, so that added a special touch to the day.



They began at the Strathearn Community Campus before moving to MacRosty Park, and in both places met with locals.



When the Countess of Strathearn is in Scotland, she often holds or wears the tartan-scarf with the Strathearn plaid. The silk scarf retails for close to $500 from D C Dalgliesh. I can't say I love the colors of the pattern, but Kate always coordinates beautifully with it. Here she carries it at William's installation into the Order of the Thistle in July of 2012:


In London for the Thames River Pageant in June 2012:


Again in Scotland in 2013 with Charles and William:


Although Kate did not opt to wear her scarf today, she was presented with a large bear wearing a kilt in her pattern. William suggested the kilt might fit George.


The little prince won't have to steal mummy's teddy's clothes, though, because he was gifted his own Highland wear:
@ianvogler Twitter Account
Probably the more highly anticipated stop was their visit to The Glenturret Distillery, Scotland's second oldest distillery dating from the late 1700's, where Famous Grouse is produced. William and Kate both partook in the strong spirits, but I think perhaps William enjoyed his just a little more.


The Famous Grouse Facebook
I understand that in Scotland, fine whiskey is the thing, but one of these days someone needs to take these people to a Champagne cellar or something. The royals always seem to be swigging hard alcohol and I think it is time for a change...for Kate's sake.





Kate was wearing Kiki McDonough earrings, LK Bennet pumps and clutch, and brooch that she received as a wedding gift, purportedly from William. It is a Celtic design with some fun background provided by My Small Obsessions:
The triscele is commonly found in late Celtic art and is thought to have some Roman influence, although fine examples are found in the native art of Ireland and Scotland. It is thought to represent the three realms of Celtic lore: the past, the present and the future. One of the most popular of Ancient Celtic designs, it survived well into the Christian period, probably because it could also be considered to represent the Holy Trinity.


Kate was wearing a Jonathan Saunders coat with a Goat dress underneath. We will get to Goat momentarily. When I first saw pictures this morning, before I knew the label, I thought the color changes on the coat were ribbing. (You have to forgive me, I had just woken up and was looking at an iPhone screen.) I immediately thought of Kate's Jonathan Saunders jumper, but once I realized it was a mohair pattern I no longer saw any resemblance, despite the fact that it actually is a JS! How strange are whims. Anyhow, Jonathan Saunders makes another appearance on Kate today in a red and pink blend:


I am torn on today's choice. I like it, but I am not in love. Ultimately, it feels a little old to me, although guess what kids, you asked for wind proof and you got it. I think this looks like something Camilla could wear just as easily as Kate, and that makes me not such a huge fan. Only because Kate is barely 32 and Camilla is...no longer 32. If the coat had been a little more tailored, I think I would have liked it better. This isn't a miss, I do like it, and she looks fabulous, but I can't say it's a home run. It just looks too big on her. I am used to and prefer her more figure hugging choices. 

The Famous Grouse Facebook
We don't have much of a view of the Goat dress, but is looks like it complements the Jonathan Saunders beautifully. The is the second time Kate has worn Goat and again I immaturely am laughing at the name. Goat. The scenario I imagine:

"Beautiful dress. What are you wearing?"
"Oh, this? It's Goat."
"Whaaaa?"


I just don't understand why you create a clothing line and name it Goat, but that's not the point of this post... The first time Kate wore this label was the white coat while pregnant with George. The Goat Coat!


It was a good day. Kate had a super healthy glow from her light tan, her hair looked like a hundred bucks, she was beautifully accoutered, received flowers, and had a drink with William. Perfect, perfect. Most of all, we have finally reached the end of the inevitable recovery period that follows a tour and can now get back to more regular royal appearances. I am so, so very excited for their visit to Normandy in just a little over a week to commemorate the D-Day Landings, and Kate has also scheduled events on June 10th and June 12th. Fun times ahead. Can't wait to follow it with you all... 
 

28 comments:

  1. Jane--I think part of the problem is that mohair is more for elder people. that might be why you don't love this, but I agree with you that it is nice. I like it, too. Are you going to comment on the wind photos of Kate? I think we would like your input.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I know there have been some requests, and I promise I will weigh in on the issue next week. :) I didn't hate today's coat, but I just don't know that I am warming to mohair. ;)

      Delete
    2. Jane, thanks for your great work here! I so enjoy your comments and information others don't provide. I agree that today's coat is not well-fitted. I noticed it was belted on the J Saunders page in orange with an orange dress underneath--more contemporary and chic. Kate's is a more conservative look. Maybe she considered belting the coat and decided not to go sexy and chic what with the recent photos; no belt could have been a last minute change. Also, the brooch is lovely but it is a piece Camilla would wear not Kate. Her colors (Kiki earrings in citron) are reminiscent of the Strathearn look. I'm missing the way Kate uses her creativity and taste with belts, bracelets, hats, scarves, along with conventional court shoes, coats, suits. Her clutch is all we see today. This must be a safe response to the photos and criticism of her not being conservative enough.

      Have you information about where they stayed the night before this event?

      Thanks again for all your good work, Jane!

      Delete
    3. They stayed at the Gleneagles Hotel, where they unveiled (yet another) plaque

      Delete
  2. Hi Jane Its great to be back! I thought kate looked lovely as she always does, but I do wish the coat was more fitted. It would have looked younger and sleeker and showed her fabulously lean figure. Im excited for her appreance in France, I think she will wear something extra special for this.
    Nice to be back again Jane hope you and all the other readers are well :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I have been having some major withdrawal symptoms from the blog, let alone Kate, so I am pretty stoked we are back on track!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jane! It's always a pleasure to read your posts! I agree with you about the coat but unfortunately I don't like it at all and probably it's the worst I've ever seen on her! From my point of view the biggest problems are the wrong size, the length and the cutting (as for other coats and dresses on tour!) but also that mohair so old-fashioned and the stripes. Probably it 's silly what I'm saying now but it remembers me my mum's dressing gown-maybe in the US it's called bathrobe but I don't know- ( the same fabric, buttons, length, collar,..). It was my first thought this morning while watching! I like my mum's dressing gown but as a dressing gown!! I don't think it's her style at all and I like her in dresses and coats like those of the Canadian tour, shorter, more fitted or with the belt. Said that, I understand she has to pay attention to many aspects like the choice of the local stylist, the right colour, the temperature, the wind and it's not so easy to do it always at her best! Luckily everything looks good on her and she seems to be so a nice person (like William) that it doesn't matter what she wears only..I always love that clutch bag that matches so well with the shoes and her straight hair were just perfect! Anyway a nice day to follow as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cinzy! So happy you enjoyed today's report--late as it was!! Your comments aren't silly. I see where you are coming from. It is a piece that is legitimately up for debate. I just am not excited about the mohair and I am not a fan of the tailoring, either. She did match everything impeccably. Loved the red with the nude shoes and clutch!!

      Delete
  4. She is simply pregnent. This coat had one purpose which is to cover her belly that is why it is so loose on her. Nobody except her is wearing a coat. We all remember time just before announcing her pregnency, only she was wearing a white coat and was covered totally, and few days later they made an announcement. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, maybe, I don't know. Scotland can be pretty nippy and most of the people watching were wearing jackets of some kind. Kate wears coats pretty consistently throughout the year for formal occasions. I really doubt she is pregnant already, but only she knows for sure, I guess. :)

      Delete
    2. Its been freezing. I live further south and we've put the heating back on. She wouldn't be drinking if she knew she was pregnant.

      Delete
  5. What an unreasonable thing to say! Whisky is a delicacy in Scotland, and a don't think tasting a wee dram at a respected distillery could be considered inappropriate. Pour me another glass! Hic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly don't have a problem with whiskey, but if I had to choose between whiskey and champagne... Not a hard choice for me. :)

      Delete
  6. Well, I am glad that the break is over and looking forward to the next engagements and just seeing her. So, this time her clothing has not been that important to me :-). Her coat was ok - no wow but no miss. So, I won't repeat what Jane wrote, because I agree with her.
    The design of the brooch is unusual for Kate, I think, and it's not my favourite style but the meaning - ahhh, it's extraordinary and so romantic.
    I love the tartan scarf and would have enjoyed seeing it again. The pattern and the colours are so nice. Maybe next time ;-)

    Great to be back in daily routine with you all!
    Thank you, Jane, for your post! I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky! I had the same reaction to the brooch. I am not really a brooch girl in general, but when jewelry has meaning I think that makes it pretty special. This was cool! I approved. ;)

      It is good to be back in the swing of things. I am excited for a busy royal summer!!

      Delete
  7. I must say I cannot look at Kate the same way now after the bare bottom pictures. She did it on purpose and knows full well that the wind might pick up her dress. I am faintly disgusted and wonder why she feels the need to show her bottom to the world. The problem here is that she is a role model and her choices do have an effect on women and on how women are perceived. Shame on her for bringing us to that level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, well, I have to disagree with that one. Kate isn't baring her bottom on purpose. It was an accident--it happens.

      Delete
    2. Have to agree with Jane here. Kate isn't baring her bottom on purpose. She isn't needy for attention from anyone other than her husband, and she is consistent in connecting with him during public appearances to keep that intimacy between them. Completely accidental.

      Delete
    3. Accident sure, but she knows it could happen (its happened before), at least put on some underwear! there are SO MANY options these days. bare bum does not need to happen

      Delete
    4. Jane from CanadaJune 2, 2014 at 9:44 AM

      This obsession with the clothing malfunction is just plain odd to me. It's a non-story. It happened. It was a member of the public who took the picture (this time) and immediately made tracks to sell it when he or she realized what they had. Don't believe at all that the money went to charity. Everyone needs to get over it. The only one who should be ashamed is the person who took the picture and didn't immediately delete it when they discovered it.

      Delete
  8. Jane, you really do bring a unique, and outstanding, voice to the HRH Kate blog world. Love the coat!!! Just gorgeous–I've also been a great fan of red and pink combinations and this one looks especially gorgeous. I also think that drinking of spirits does not mean she is not pregnant. I remember immediately thinking "she's pregnant" when she visited her school in the tartan ensemble–it was so considerably looser than her usual form-fitting outfits than I just KNEW. Although the sipping of spirits gives me pause, again, I don't think that means she is not pregnant. In fact, it might have been a tasty decoy. Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't anyone think she was wearing a thong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she has on a thong & panties hose.

      Delete
  10. Just wanted to say that I have been following this blog for a while and never thought I would have anything to add, but on Thursday William and Catherine came to our little bit of Scotland. We could not believe it when on their Wedding Day they became Earl and Countess of Strathearn and three years later here they were. We took our school pupils down to the park and the couple took so much time to talk to them all. They all thought Catherine looked beautiful and loved her make up! My son was playing in the pipe band at the campus and again said how much time they spent talking to all the young people. It was a cold, drizzly day and I thought Kate's coat looked great - not at all dowdy or heavy in the flesh and the colour really sang out. I'd also like to add that we have banners up around Crieff for the forthcoming Commonwealth Baton Relay and Ryder Cup and some of them are the Strathearn Tartan and against the duller skies of Scotland the yellows and reds look great. We have been trying to make enough bunting to beat the Guiness World Record - we need 3 miles and some of that was on display for the Royal visit, so the town looked good. What a day to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So neat to hear a first-hand account, Anonymous! From the pictures, I couldn't tell it was a cold, drizzly day. (Because I was wondering why she chose the mohair coat). Seems whoever is lucky enough to see her and William in person says they are very warm and gracious.
    Victoria, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just an interesting tidbit to bring up. Kate and William were presented with a portrait of Kate, when at the Forteviot village fete, in Scotland. Apparently they both liked it very much and were overheard discussing where to hang it. You can find out more at www.people.com/--look under Royalty. Interested Canadian

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the colour but nth else, I wish she would fresh up a little bit, it is always the same coatdress/dress/earrings/shoes. I find her style a bit boring and monotonous. I also do not get why any brooch when she covers it with her hair. I hope she reinvents herself after this new scandal. A.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!