Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Wears Jaeger to Support America's Cup in Greenwich

Tuesday, June 10, 2014


I like when things match, beautiful things should have beautiful backgrounds, and that is just what stunning Kate had this morning as she visited Greenwich for a brunch reception marking the launch of Britain's push to win the coveted America's Cup race. I love Greenwich. Sitting along the Thames in South East London, it is steeped in history dating back to the middle ages. It was the site of a royal palace, the Palace of Placentia, in the 16th century and remained a popular royal residence until the English Civil War. It saw heavy use during the reign of the Tudors; both Henry VIII and Elizabeth I were born there, including many other members of that House. England saw turbulent years in the 17th century and the palace was abandoned and ultimately demolished, save for the King Charles Court, a wing that was built in the 1660's by Charles II. A royal hospital for seamen was built on the site and the famous Christopher Wren donated his time and talent to create the architecturally impressive Greenwich we can see today. It has become a maritime hub and is home to the Royal Observatory.


Always detail-oriented, Kate chose to wear a white Jaeger sheath dress with navy blue trim around the waist and shoulders, strongly echoing the the traditional naval uniform of white with blue piping. She has worn Jaeger publicly once before. She wore a canary yellow from the label while on tour in South East Asia. 


Kate accessorized with her sapphire drops, Stuart Weitzman Muse clutch, and McQueen blue heels. Of course, she was also wearing her Cartier Ballon Bleu watch with inset sapphire. Pretty sweet ensemble all around. I love her in these sheath dresses and white and blue is a fantastic color contrast, particularly with her hair. It always seems to make her eyes really pop. 


Notice Kate is wearing her Asprey charm necklace. We talked a little about it during the tour, here, but to refresh your memory it is a necklace with three charms: an acorn, an oak leaf, and a mushroom. I love jewelry with meaning and both Kate's earrings and this necklace are rich with sentimental value. 




Kate has always been a bit of a sailing enthusiast. Remember she worked on a 72-foot boat during her gap year, to say nothing of her family's interest in the sport. From the dragon boat race in Canada to her recent showdown with William in Auckland captaining New Zealand's America's Cup team, if you put Kate on a boat, fun ensues. 


This is not Kate's first time meeting Olympian Sir Ben Ainslie, who is heading up the GB team for the 2017 America's Cup. During the 2012 Olympics, Kate took to the water to cheer on Team GB. Remember those shots? She was windswept and effortlessly gorgeous. It is in the hair, girls, it's all in the hair. 



Ainslie had a piece in The Telegraph in which he discussed the plans for 2017 and Britain's hope to win this competitive race. He remarked on Kate's visit and her support:
On a similar note it was a real honour that the Duchess of Cambridge was able to support us at today’s launch. I know the Duchess is a keen sailor, having taken on our rivals Team New Zealand down in Auckland. With luck she picked up a few ideas to pass on to our designers. The fact that the Duchess was there to show her support and the team is sailing under the banner of the Yacht Squadron Racing, a club affiliated to the Royal Yacht Squadron, is a huge boost.
Since everything Kate touches turns to gold, I am confident that this will boost interest in Ainslie's project. Kate was in her element, too. I think her interest in these projects really helps to make them successful. You can see her enthusiasm and her energy. That genuine excitement really translates well. People reported on today's event:
Ainslie, 37, who won medals at five straight Olympics from 1996-2012, including four golds, said the team would like to take Kate out sailing in the future. "She was asking lots of technical questions – she knew her stuff," he said. "We were all sharing sailing stories, and I think her sailing comes from her family. It means a lot to have her here."


I loved it!  Kate was radiant today, absolutely glowingly gorgeous. From tip to toe, she was a vision; it was certainly a sartorial win in my book.  If you think the fun is over, it isn't. In a sudden change of plans, Kate attended today's BP Garden Party, rather than the party on the 12th as publicly scheduled. That post will come later. Not to let the surprise out, but she recycled her lacy McQueen from the Diamond Jubilee and popped on a custom made Jane Corbett to top it off. Fun stuff, fun stuff...

Later, all y'all. 

28 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, and the wind blowing her hair seems to add to her sparkle
    Do hope they manage to raise the money---it'd not every year that a yachtsman of Sir Ben's quality is available, besides which it would provide jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. I think this will help a lot in raising funds. It should be an extraordinary race!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! She looks so beautiful. I love the dress , it is simple, elegant glamour. Excited for the post about the garden party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when she goes simple. Just the few details made it lovely!

      Delete
  3. Kate looked so fresh and lovely today, great dress choice! And wow Sir Ben is one handsome man!! There is a picture of him and Kate walking down some steps, laughing together and boy did they look nice together. better watch out William :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looked elegant and chic, the only thing that spoilt this for me her constant hair touching, I wonder when she is gonna grow out of it and act someone who is a professional?!A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. When she constantly has to keep moving her hair out of her face, it is annoying. I loved the one time on the NZ tour when she had her hair pulled back in a ponytail (I still wonder why she did it on that day because it was so unusual and it wasn't a windy day.)

      Delete
    2. Hi, I agree that the constant fiddling with her hair is very distracting. I wish she would wear the demi-chignon for her engagements, it looks lovely on her and is a professional look.

      Delete
    3. I think you three need to chill out Not professional? Take a nap.

      she looked great and acted as a member of BRF should.

      Delete
    4. Nice to hear from you too.A.

      Delete
    5. Hi CP,

      Wow sorry to upset you so but I find it distracting when Kate is giving a speech and constantly flicks her head to one side to get the hair out of her eyes. Same thing when she is fidgeting with it at an engagement. And thanks for your suggestion, I'm off to take a nap:)

      Delete
  5. I too, have long hair and when the wind blows tiny hairs across my face it tickles. I can't stand for my hair in my face so I can sympathize with the Duchess. You want to look your best but hair does move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone else noticed the scar on her left leg, below the knee? I noticed it in the D-Day pictures. I wonder what happened...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed that too. I bet she tripped over Lupo or maybe George banged her shin with a toy :) Kids and dogs are dangerous:)

      Delete
    2. Hahah, Emily, oh my gosh. I just thought my screen was dirty. :) Thanks for pointing that out. I have no suggestions beyond Lauri's. Both those two are likely suspects. :)

      Delete
  7. Jane from CanadaJune 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM

    I thought Kate looked lovely. Very polished and professional. I do wish everyone would get over her hair. She has long hair. I would kill to be able to wear long hair. She won`t be able to keep it long forever, so she should enjoy it while she can. Makes her look youthful and I`m sure William loves it! Perfectly coiffed hair all the time can be aging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with her long hair I wish I had but still it is on her face all the time.A.

      Delete
    2. I tend to agree. She has some fabulous, fabulous hair and I would wear it down as long as I could. I just think it is beautiful!

      Delete
    3. I tend to agree but it is her security blanket and she needs to control herself at least her hand but she cant. As she cant control the weather most unfortunate.A.

      Delete
  8. I'm fascinated by Kate's long, thick, luxuriant hair! I have to keep mine in a modified pixie cut since it has Zero body and is very fine. The dear lady who cuts it says that I have baby hair.
    But then, I don't have to keep styling it or getting it restyled - it's wash and go!
    But hers is beautiful however she wears it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is a pretty constant disaster, so I really admire Kate's hair, too. That lucky girl should take advantage of it! :)

      Delete
  9. I completely agree with you Jane! Today she was so perfect in both dresses. I love the white one very much..simple and sophisticate! I like the match between the white and the dark blue colour..summery and nautical! I watched a video quite long (5min.) on ITN and she always seems to interact so well with people..I don't know how she manages to behave so perfectly in all the aspects every minute during engagements.
    As regard her hair and the wind, I agree with many other comments. I have long and straight hair and I hate when I fix them well before leaving home, then I go down to the car and they already are out of place (I always have a little brush in my bag! hihi)..so it's not a problem for me watching her hair "blown" but I think it can be annoying mainly for her! I cannot stand when it happens to me..and when it happens during weddings, christenings I hate it even more! I think she could "arrange" her hair loose during engagements inside and differently in the other situations. Probably she is not aware of it but I think her features are enhanced when her hair are pulled!

    Thanks for the history about Greenwich..it sounds like a beautiful place to visit..I definitely will go there the next time I 'm in London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just for info
    The background in the pictures is not the Nat Maritime Museum - it is the Queens House in Greenwich
    My favourite picture - foreground is the Queens House; then the Naval College; then the Thames and finally Canary Wharf. 500 years in 1 picture.
    Some of you might remember it as the backdrop to the equestrian events at the 2012 Olympics
    http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.607989055140335584&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

    Sorry to but in on the Catherine chat but this is a v special part of London.

    Great blog as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liked this white-and-navy dress and the pumps Kate wore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to look twice at the first picture. The woman behind the sign looks just like Kate, and she's even pushing her hair back like Kate. I wonder if she has a double for security?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, OregonJune 12, 2014 at 8:21 PM

      The "double" is Kate's assistant, Rebecca Deacon. You'll see her in lots of pictures once you know who to look for. :)

      Delete
  13. Oooohhhh, this dress is on my list of best dresses ever. I absolutely love it!!! I first thought it would be white and black which I would like even more but white and navy is awesome too.
    Thank you Jane for the information about Greenwich. It sounds quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!