Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pippa Watches Tennis With Downton Star Michelle Dockery As 1st TV Interview is Prepped to Air

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Three awesome things came together today: Tennis, a couple of Middletons, and Downton Abbey. That's right, Pippa and James are back from their 3,000 mile bike trip across the United States and they popped over to the Royal Box at Wimbledon to take in some lawn tennis. Also on hand at the All England Club was the lovely Michelle Dockery, aka Lady Mary Crawley. While Lady Mary is still deciding between two entirely unequal suitors (Mary, marry Tony Gillingham, the competition isn't even close) Michelle seems to be less conflicted in real life. She was accompanied by her boyfriend James Dineen and they were pictured greeting Pippa and James during the match.



You probably have heard by now that Pippa has undertaken her first TV interview with Matt Lauer. It will air on Monday, but E! has a sneak peek focusing on some questions Lauer asked Pippa about her famous sister Kate. He asked if Kate's marriage to William had changed her in her relationship with Pippa:
"Not particularly, no...I mean, obviously she has pressures that she's taken on and things. But we spend a lot of time together. We still do a lot together as a family. And I think that's really the heart for all of us is having a really close family that we can sort of be normal with each other, treat each other normally. And that's sort of kept us all, you know, affixed to the ground."
"So you can call any night and say, 'Hey, Kate, it's Pippa. Let's just do girl talk like we used to'?" Matt inquired, to which Pippa provided a positive response. 
"Yeah. Yeah, we do, we have a very normal, sisterly relationship," she revealed. "We're very close. And, you know, we support each other and get each other's opinions and things."
I don't think this will surprise any royal watchers. Pippa and Kate have always been quite close:


And obviously remain so.  


Kate has clearly been at pains to remain a member of her family despite joining the British Royal Family. Rather than something she has tow irk on, I suspect it is quite natural for the tight-knit Middletons to remain very active parts of each other's lives. I am certainly looking forward to the full interview. It will air in two parts, on Monday and on Tuesday.


I will say that this makes me wonder if Pippa is considering a move to the United States. It is hard for me to imagine her so far from family, but she is under a significant amount of scrutiny from the press in the UK. Princess Diana was considering a move to America to escape the constant paparazzi attention, and while it is unlikely that the most photographed woman in the world would have been markedly more incognito in the US than in England, Pippa could very well find more privacy and perhaps business opportunities in the New World. We shall see...

Bad news in the Kate category. She will not be attending the Order of the Thistle ceremony in Scotland. This is the equivalent of the Order of the Garter for the Scots and Kate was on hand to see William's investiture several years ago.


Unfortunately, it now seems she will give this year's event a miss. It is terribly surprising. She would have had to leave George at home, or cart in north, and little Mr. Grumpy-Pants undoubtedly likes his routine. Babies: they are blessings and curses. ;) We will be seeing her on the 1st in London, though, so keep your spirits up! 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Jane, great post! I so enjoy reading about what the rest of the Middleton family is up too, so thanks for this post. Do you plan on doing a post on Carole and her great fashion sense? I know myself and I'm sure many others would enjoy it.

    On to Pippa, I thought she looked absolutely beautiful today. The dress looked wonderful on her, it seemed to really flatter her figure. And I am loving her new haircut. She has thinner hair than Kate but this shorter style makes it look so much fuller and thicker. The only blip on Pippa's fashion radar today is the usual thick black eyeliner. Dear Lord, will someone please take it away from her? I've seen pictures of her without it and I think she looks so much better that way.

    I wonder where Nico's been? I was looking forward to seeing them together at the finish line of her bike race. Surely I thought that they would attend Wimbledon together as they have in the past. Hope all is okay for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do! I will put that one up as soon as Kate and I both have lulls in our schedules at the same time. :)
      I also am wondering where Nico is. Pips went to tennis with James last year and everything was fine with the BF, but I haven't sene press on him, so I do wonder. He is probably just busy. :)

      Delete
  2. It is such a shame she does not attend, maybe she is busy with her future engagements. Meanwhile I wonder if we see her in Wimbledon I have a feeling she will find the time. I am happy to hear and see they are so close knitted family good for them. Personally I never understood Pippas success what has she done exactly being interviewed for except she has a famous relative??? And her book OMG I read a couple of juicy bits well anyone can write for sure. I hope she moves to the USA, it would be nice to see her out of the public eye and how she manages.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if Murray continues to climb we will see her. If not, I am afraid she may give it a miss. All the bad press from the renovations, etc may keep her away. I hope not! My fingers are crossed!

      Pippa, through no action of her own, has had her life options significantly limited. Her sister married a prince and now she barely has a private moment. I think she should capitalize where she can as long as she doesn't embarrass the royal family.

      Delete
    2. Look, this is my problem, capitalisation.None of the Middleton girls have ever worked a decent day, they had jobs of course but come on what kind of? Now Pippa write a book, articles,being interviewed. I do not regard her as Kate who has no options, she is capable to do what she wants instead of taking advantage of her unique position. But this is human nature, maybe I would do the same who knows??:)
      I forget to mention this is her first piece of clothes I would take but leave those shoes at home, terrible shoe people. And that ring on her little finger completely strange to me, but runs in the family, James and their mom also wear it like that.
      Do you think it has a meaning or rather a habit, I wonder?A.

      Delete
    3. Dear A,

      It looks like a signet ring to me, probably with their family coat of arms or family crest on it.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous 9:22: I don't think you in any way take into account how difficult it is to live a normal life with the exposure and the public interest and attention they receive. Kate could not hold down a normal job she was followed so much, and Pippa has suffered from similar albeit less extreme situations. Pippa is still finding her way in her life post-wedding,a dn given she has many of the negative aspects of royal life without many of the perks, I think we should not be harsh in judging a situation we do not understand very well.

      As to the ring, Lauri is correct, the Middletons have a family crest and they wear the family ring. Women wear it on their pinkies, while men wear full-sized rings.

      Delete
  3. I like pippa I really do but I'm just not sure how appropriate it is for her to give an interview. What you will she be talking about and what is the purpose of the interview?

    I wonder what William and the rest of the brf think about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, not in the sense that William or Catherine or the BRF might disapprove though. It seems to me that Pippa is just being 'used' by the Today show simply to try to get information on W & C and the rest of her family.

      Delete
    2. Yes I think your right they will want it to get some juicy details however small!

      Delete
    3. I do not think Pippa accepted this interview without discussing with Kate. While the royals may not be thrilled, I do think they reluctantly signed off. It was a controlled environment and I suspect that Pippa felt it was her turn to speak her side after the hard time she has in the press, and my bet is that Kate, as a loyal sister, saw her point. It is also likely this is a step on the road for Pippa as she tries to carve out a professional life.

      She didn't reveal anything very sensational, it was good press all around.

      Delete
  4. I think it's wonderful that the Middletons are such a close-knit, loving family. What a huge boon that must be to Kate in her royal life, knowing she has a strong, grounded family behind her every step of the way. It's obvious why William loves them so much too and little George will grow up with a fantastic extended family, not just royals but the lovely Middletons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think it is lovely and normal and so healthy for the BRF and the country. The Middletons are a major asset to the royals.

      Delete
  5. Nothing to do with the article, just wondering. When Kate becomes Princess of Wales do you think people will start calling her Princess Catherine/Kate? And what will happen to the title Duchess of Cambridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like Kate holds the title Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus, but is not principally known as such, she will maintain her title Duchess of Cambridge, but will be styled principally the Princess of Wales. As to what she will be called colloquially, that's hard to predict and a surpassingly hot topic. It has been very hard for many to make the switch from "Kate Middleton" to any title at all. Still, I think people will take to Princess Kate much faster than they have to Duchess. I myself prefer and refer to Kate often as Princess...she holds the title Princess William of Wales and is a Princess of the United Kingdom as highlighted by George's birth certificate. We may see a split based on geography. I think the US will massively embrace Princess Kate, while the UK, always more comfortable with the title Duchess, may switch back and forth. Obviously, for the sticklers, Kate will never be Princess Kate as she is not a princess of the blood, but practically speaking, that is walked all over today, just as Diana was always Princess Diana. I don't have a problem with calling Kate Princess Kate, now, or when she is given the title Princess of Wales. That being said, I am so very excited for that title to officially pass to her, although it will be accompanied by a very sad close to an era, the death of Her Majesty the Queen.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, that made it more clearer. I hope people do start calling her Princess Catherine, it sounds so much more royal. And yes, I hope the Queen lives to celebrate 70 years, I wonder what jubilee that would be? If Prince George marries (though it's a long time until then) won't he then become Duke of Cambridge or do you think he'd get another title? Sorry, I'm just a little confused as to what titles they inherit etc.

      Delete
    3. George does not inherit William's Dukedom, no. George will be Prince George of Cambridge, or Prince George of Wales when his father becomes the Prince of Wales, until another title is given to him. William was Prince William of Wales until he married Kate and the Queen granted him his Dukedom. Prince Harry has yet to receive a title with that gravitas.

      Delete
  6. Kate's fame came ad Williams girlfriend. Like Anne Boleyn shell always be known by her old name by the people.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!