Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Birthday Butterflies for Prince George as He Turns 1 Year Old

Monday, July 21, 2014

Well, they are out, kids, and they are awesome! William and Kate released the last two photographs to mark George's birthday, and they are precious. George, still the sober little man that he is, managed to look excited and interested without breaking his decorum. He remained, throughout the published photos, entirely in command of his emotions. Was Napoleon such a child? The Stoics would have welcomed George to their number. I love it. He is so cute. 



Many were crossing their fingers that George would be interacting with a butterfly in at least one shot, and lucky us, they are both butterfly shots! I thought these were really creative and very in keeping with Kate and William's style. We have already gotten a posed shot for the pre-tour photo (but even that was unusual in presentation). Here we do not get anything super formal or staged, but natural shots of the young family in a beautiful environment. Really, really great approach to a first birthday portrait. I do think this is Kate's area of talent and her sensitive touch is certainly being felt in the PR for the Cambridges. Do you know what we do get? Prince William's Frenchman pants! And you all thought he was wearing ratty old jeans. I need to set up a page for this... 


It is not entirely clear if George is bestowing a knighthood on his winged subject, or preparing to snuff out its life as soon as the camera has clicked. This is a birthday post, so thinking positively, let's assume this butterfly went back to his chums as Lord Lepidoptera.



Kate is radiant in both these shots. So, so pretty. This dress seems, however, to have magic powers of evasion. Seriously, we all thought today was the day. The almost mythical Suzannah was finally to be revealed in all its glory...like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon. Instead, we barely get more of a peek than we have in the past. I do not overlook the fact this is due partly to angle, and partly to George's bonny and obviously robust health. So, in the end, while fashion thought it would have a coup, Baby George held the spotlight on his special day. Well done, little man, these are the attributes of a monarch. 

Tomorrow, the 22nd, is the actual big day, and I will be posting Jane Barr's Commemorative Edition. If the spirit moves you, stop by and reminisce with me! Until then...

23 comments:

  1. As always, Jane, you make me laugh. Well done. He is such a serious little man, I love him too. I will be back tomorrow for your birthday post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you! I am so glad you got a kick out of it! :)

      Delete
  2. Ur posts are always so funny and informative at the same time, love it keep up the great work!!! The pics are everything id hope theyd be, completely charming and adoreable. For a baby who has such smiley parents, george is quite a serious little man, its gonna be so interesting to watch him grow up. Happy 1st birthday prince george!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! Great to hear from you. They are such great shots! I want them to be wonderful, but I was expecting something more posed, and this was a refreshing surprise. I should have expected no less from Kate. :)

      Delete
  3. Such naturally beautiful pictures. Will and Kate. Their way. Was reading today about the Quen's two years in Malta. The story said that although she and Phillip lived there, Prince Charles stayed in England and the then Princess Elizabeth "visited him often". We should think about that when we criticize Kate and Wills for not doing this or that. I can't even imagine a mindset that would consider that a solution to anything. But it was another time. I'm just happy Prince Cheeks has his mommy and daddy every day. Thank you for your post Jane. I look forward to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree fully, Jane. That just isn't a great compromise, and we do need to bear in mind that William and Kate are not prepared to make that sacrifice--nor should we ever expect them to. George is a lucky little guy. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane,

    Thanks for such a lovely post! The Cambridge's look like such a happy little family, it's so wonderful to see! While I agree that fashion took a back seat to the focus on the birthday boy, but gosh I so want to see that dress in full!! George seems to have such a serious demeanor but I bet he is a little devil on the inside :) Looking forward to tomorrows post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed, Laurie! These were great shots--I love that they got so creative with the location and the shots. So sweet for a first birthday. I think he is a handful, too. I love that photo of him smirking at the camera men in New Zealand. He will be a naughty one...

      Delete
  5. By George, I think he's got it! The poor butterfly that is. These are beautiful shots of the idealic, royal family. Another chapter to add to Cambridge Fairy Tale. I must say, George has more hair than his Dad. Oh William, alas nothing is perfect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does. Whether he can keep it will be the challenge. :) Hopefully, he has grandpa Mike's genes in that respect. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Jane! Thanks for this awesome post---Birthday Butterflies is a perfect caption! As you said, we didn't see Kate's Suzannah dress again (in full), but I'm loving it that we see slobber on her left shoulder. Also, in the first picture released, George's shoes looked very used and scuffed. These observations make the Cambridges seem normal. Very endearing. I agree it's Kate's wonderful creative and loving attention to bring her men to the butterfly exhibit for these photos. Another non-fashion observation is George's slightly red hair---a Spencer trait! Diana would be thrilled! I've laughed and felt moved by your post. Can't wait to see your tribute tomorrow. Thanks so much! Katherine, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,

      haven't noticed the sobber until I read you're post. Well, even a royal baby is a baby ;-). I mentioned the battered shoes in a previous comment. I absolutely agree: It's endearing! I hope they keep on trying to deal with things 'normally'!

      Kind regards

      Delete
    2. Katherine! T

      hanks so much for both your awesome observations! I am with Vicky, I didn't see the slobber until you mentioned. it. haha, so cute! Only George gets to pulls Kate hair and wipe his face on her dress. It is so fun to see her as a mother! I also had not really observed what a strawberry blond he is! I wonder where that will go...darker or keep a hint of red...

      Thanks for weighing in! xoxo, Jane

      Delete
  7. The Queen had the same calm, com-
    manding gaze at the same age. Winston Churchill commented on it, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Form one sovereign to another... :) Hopefully, George proves to be as fabulous a monarch as his great-grandmother.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely. She has set THE standard, Jane. Saw her Coronation on TV when I
      was five--she's been my North Star since that day.

      Delete
  8. These are lovely family photos but unfortunately leave me feeling a little ho hum. Not quite sure why though. I do think PG is a lovely little guy. Think he just may get all the girls when he's older.....

    Kiwi Nic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nic! I have to say that the first shot released, George walking alone, left me with a similar sense of let-down. As you say, I couldn't entirely put my finger on it. These sort of made up for that in my book--I really loved them, but I know where you are. :)

      Delete
  9. Great pictures!! They look so cute together! The only thing to complain: I think they look too photoshoped. Look at the skin. It's much too even. But absolutely stunning motives!

    Thanks Jane for this nice, funny and great written post!!

    Happy Birthday little rascal!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely so photoshopping going on. You just can't keep a photographer from the virtual brush. Photoshop doesn't really bother me, but you have a valid point. :)

      Thanks, Vicky! You are always so kind. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  10. Love the baby slobber on Kate's shoulder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! When Katherine pointed it out I was so excited! Very down to earth. Now she should dry-clean that dress and let us see the entire thing... :)

      Delete
    2. At least they didn't photoshop out the slobber! Reminds me of the nine St. Bernards we had when I was growing up!!

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!