Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

5 Pieces That Really Deserve a Royal Recycle

Wednesday, September 3, 2014


September is my favorite month. Summer is over, school is starting. There are crunchy leaves on the ground, the air is crisp, pumpkin flavored everything abounds (Starbucks gets their salted caramel cake pops back in stock) and we get to pull out the fall wardrobe. Chunky sweaters, cozy scarves, warm boots, and cute hats. Fall is truly the best. Kate has a pretty stunning fall/winter selection, too, which makes the whole season all the better. While we always love to see a new debut, Kate is a bit of a thrifty lady and she is bound to rewear the occasional piece. IF she is going to recycle, I know we all have ensembles we want to see again. Here are 5 pieces that I think were pretty fabulous, but didn't get as much of the spotlight as they deserved...they really deserve a royal recycle:

5. We only got a brief glimpse of this entirely darling coat. Kate wore this DVF coat in November of 2012 as she left the Edward VII after her hospitalization due to extreme morning sickness.  This would be welcomed back on the circuit. 


4. Kate has a lot of green coats, but the Reiss from October 2012 was one of the more strikingly elegant ones in the Duchess's closet. The unusual collar gives the simple piece just the flare we expect from Kate. This event came after the exhaustion of the South East Asia tour, and I think it is due a second sighting.


3. For her first solo-engagement, Kate wore defunct label Jesiré. The flattering shawl collar and full skirt made this the epitome of autumn chic. I also loved the belt and sparkly accessories... We could certainly use a second sighting of this striking dress. 


2. I hesitate to bang the drums and bring this next one back, simply because "It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that if it ain't broke, don't fix it." (In this brief mix of English classic lit and American folk wisdom the disintegration of western culture is encapsulated...le sigh) Back to the dress...it is the SuperStar blue McQueen.  Could this be recycled any better? It would be tough and it would be bold to try, but Kate is both tough and bold. I think if she swept her hair up--with or without a topper--this dress could have a successful encore. It was stunning, and I am convinced will be an iconic look for Kate as the years roll on.


1. All this talk of cozy sweaters and warm boots does not mean that fall banishes any vestige of glitz and glamour. So, the number one dress that massively deserves a recycle after we were short-changed on the first appearance is this fantastic Amanda Wakeley evening gown from October of 2011. Kate wore this glittering (and sizzling) number to a reception at Clarence House when she played pinch-hitter hostess for Prince Charles after he was unable to attend the event himself. We only got a few snaps and it deserves so much more.


This is certainly not an exhaustive list, but if I may humbly submit these to Her Grace, I think I can safely say they would be warmly welcomed a second time around--certainly by yours truly. Think about, Kate! ;) 

We are less than a week away from the Cambridges next public appearance. Get excited for September 8th!  The world is waking up again... 



27 comments:

  1. Jane, I agree with all of these choices. I had forgotten about the Amanda Wakeley and would love to see it again.
    Also, I have been trying to access your personal blog for a few days and it seems to be down. I was looking forward to all the stories on Paris. Will it be up again soon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I would love her to recycle that one...:)
      I am sorry--I closed that blog. I really enjoyed playing with it and I often am driving around thinking of the projects I want to do one it, but ultimately, I didn't feel like I had the time to devote to it currently to make it excellent. And I just didn't like it out there neglected. :) I am super pleased you enjoyed it and I have other ideas for that space in the future. I will keep you posted! xoxo, Jane

      Delete
  2. I agree totally with your choices, Jane. They are all truly in need of another wear. But I venture to say that I don't think we'll see the DVF coat from the hospital in any "official" capacity as it is a little short and the days of Kate in shorter garments appears to be in the past. Hope I'm wrong, but that's my prediction. I'm hopeful for the other 4 though.

    Thanks for going back and taking us on this nostalgic little trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, glad you agree. :) Yes, I am not sure. I wonder both about the DVF and the Amanda Wakeley for those reasons as well. I am not convinced. Kate can be rather cyclical with her choices. I don't think she is entirely done with shorter skirts. One thing about the coat is that she can wear it with black stockings and boots, which enables you (I think) to get away with shorter skirts. This will be a very interesting fall. :)

      Delete
  3. Love all these choices, especially no 1, which is one of the best gowns I've seen on her. Beautiful color and I'd love a better look at the front details on the dress since there were so few pics of the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely! I think it was from a 2008 collection and the style makes me think it was part of Kate Middleton's closet before she became Kate Cambridge. I REALLY hope we see it again, although I am not holding my breath.

      Delete
  4. There are so many pieces I would love her to wear again, but one of my special favourites is the Jesire dress,(sorry can't do the accent with my computer)
    In early Autumn she could easily wear this and it is not too short. I agree though that worn with black tights, the length seems less important,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin, San FranciscoSeptember 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM

    Hello Jane,
    Long time reader and almost poster! I agree with your choices - love the hospital coat - just maybe Kate will venture into slacks(!) this fall...the real impetus for posting is the gown - her hair is probably my all time fave hairdo I have seen on her besides the chignon w/pearls; I think it is the pouf or the uplift her hair has from forehead back to where the pin/clip is and the gentle cascading of curls....I love the dress tho I admit it may be a bit risqué for showing a fair amount of skin; then again this event was not covered widely so I know next to nothing about it...I also, loved your other blog as well having also traveled to EU - I am a lifer here in CA so enjoyed your take on all things from south to north - SB and of course SF, the fog and all else that makes The City such a great visitor's place! Thanks for the link to the slow motion fog videos, so, so true...
    Thanks for writing when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! Her hair was lovely that night. That style was the perfect choice for the dress. I think that was probably a recycle from an event we will never know of in her past, so I am guessing we won't see it again, but who knows. I thought it was really lovely, and if we do not see this particular, I would not rule out something in the same vein.
      I really appreciate hearing your kind words about the other blog; thank you! Hopefully, I will be able to launch something fun in that space in the future!
      Warmly, Jane

      Delete
  6. In my opinion that evening gown is a little...just a little tiny bit too open for a princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think time will tell. This dress is very much in keeping with Kate's evening gown preferences before becoming a princess. Since then she has altered slightly, while maintaining a relatively similar profile. We will have to just wait and see what she does over the years. :)

      Delete
  7. Great post Jane! I didn't even know this McQueen, what a handsome couple they are in that pic! I agree with Kristin and Anon that the no1 is quite revealing, together with the glitter isn't it a bit too much? I would love to see kate in a new gown any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, both the ARK Jenny P and Tusk Dress were sparklers. I think if there is one element of this dress I don't love it is the skirt with the multicolored panels... I am interested to see what happens when Kate transitions to a more full-time royal (out there in the future) and she has to attend far more red carpet events demanding evening gowns. I think we will see a fairly generous mix of the conservative and this more Middleton-era look. We shall see. :)

      Delete
  8. I TOTALLY AGREE with #1 - it is so foxy! Also, the #10 coat is adorable and I really want it.
    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with the wondeful amanda wakely and the gorgeous mcqueen coat (one of her best look ever)

    gabriella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That McQueen coat. :) Such a fantastic day....

      Delete
  10. Hi Jane!
    Beautiful idea for this post even today! I totally agree with you in four of the choices. I don't like too much the coat dress number 3, but the others are wonderful! I agree with Gabriella about the McQueen coat..it would be a great choice in so many occasions! I like so much the DVF coat she wore outside the hospital. That day she was so beautiful and sweet even if, probably, she wasn't feeling well. I don't think the first one, that Amanda Wakely, is too revealing..I agree that it isn't usually her style, but it seems to me that Diana many times wore dresses as revealing as this.

    I'm sorry you closed your personal blog as I like so much reading about your travels. Anyway I know it's a great amount of job to manage a blog in the perfect way you always do it! I'm trying to build a blog about travels as well because you have inspired me a lot..and it's not easy at all to do it not too bad! Yours are always so professional..and I hope to improve over time. I wait to see another your project out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cinzy:
      The Jesiré? It got mixed reviews when she debuted it... I think it was one of those you loved or didn't. :)
      You were an awesome reader. Thanks for popping in so much! Good luck with your blog. They are work, but so, so fun, as I am sure you are already experiencing. :) I am glad the blog was an impetus for you!
      Stay in touch!
      xoxo, Jane

      Delete
  11. I agree with every piece you chose! I've been saying for years that the evening gown needs to return! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen her wear #4 before but I LOVE it! She looks fantastic in that color with her perfect Kate hair <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I think a lot of people missed that one. It was just sort of squeeze into a time when there was a lot of royal burnout, but it was such a gorgeous coat!! I expect we will see it again. Hopefully this winter.

      Delete
  13. I absolutely love all your picks, Jane! Thanks for reminding us of them. :) I do hope we can see each one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria; I am stoked you enjoyed it!! I think we have relatively good odds on a few.

      Delete
  14. I was recently just thinking about the pieces I'd love to see her in again. At the top of my list is the green gown she wore to the sports award show after the early announcement of her first pregnancy. Fingers crossed for another opportunity for that gown to make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe it's too soon for a recycle, but I LOVED the sparkly pink Jenny Packham dress she wore in June 2011. I don't think she's ever looked better. Clearly still on a high from the wedding. Amazing dress.
    --Dea

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!