Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday Special Report: Are The Doctor's Appointment Photos Old?

Saturday, October 18, 2014

There has been much speculation about the photos of William and Kate at their supposed 12-week scan on Wednesday night. The primary questions seem to be... who took the photos, professional or wandering iPhone addict? And, are these actually recent shots, or were they taken when Kate was pregnant with Georgie? 

We will start with the most important question. Are these recent? Counsel for the opposition argues that the photos appear to have been taken on a very cold night, with some pointing to the appearance of slush on the ground and arguably frost or ice on the windshield of parked cars.

New York Daily News


All relevant observations, but I ask why? We have seen old photos of Kate surface before, still when a paper is presumably paying a significant amount of money for exclusives, I generally assume they check to be sure they aren't being fleeced by the photographer. So...I wonder why, if these were taken when Kate was pregnant with George, did they not surface while Kate was pregnant with George? Although UK papers won't run photos of this nature, any number of those dastardly Americans will. 

Dr. Setchell (middle), Dr. Farthing (right)


My partial blind faith in newspaper editors aside, Kate's primary doctor when pregnant with George was Marcus Setchell, but her primary doctor for this pregnancy is Dr. Alan Farthing. Why, then, were these photos very clearly taken on a visit to Alan Farthing at his office in Harley Street, instead of Dr. Setchell? While Alan Farthing was part of the team for George's birth, and so she could have visited his office, it seems more likely she would have been at Setchell's office.



I am relatively unmoved by the remarks that Kate is dressed too warmly for London weather. Kate always bundles up when the temperature gets nippy, and even more so when pregnant. For a brief moment, William's purple jumper gave me pause. It seems the same one he wore to the hospital when Kate was first hospitalized for HG with George. Only a brief moment, though, given that man's proclivity to hang onto the same pair of trainers for years upon years, this is hardly the ace in the hole.

The crucial question seems to be...did it rain on the night of October 15th? Glare and the grainy nature of the photos could make wet cars look icy and shiny pavement look like slush. So, did it rain?

It rained. 

As I write, it is the lovely morning of October 18th. Three days ago it was the 15th. 3 days ago, @ashpod84 was getting tired of the rain and posted a video on Instagram to express her frustration:



The same night, @bronyawebb enjoyed the precipitation in London's Shoreditch neighborhood. Notice the slick pavement and the glare from the street lamps.


I was not there, I cannot say with absolute certainty that these photos were taken on the 15th, but none of the arguments against them are holding water for me--pun entirely and obnoxiously intended.  Certainly, there is no evidence that positively contradicts the proffered date of October 15th. Until more information surfaces to prove these photos are old, there is no positive argument against them.

The second consideration, were these photos professionally taken or did someone randomly walking by get very lucky. I think they are professional and I think someone was waiting for the Cambridges, not chancing upon them. 

The time between Kate's car stopping and her popping out and into the office would not have been long. A passing tourist or local yokel, minding his or her own business, and navigating the rainy sidewalk, probably would not have been alert enough to surroundings to recognize the famous lady, whip out a camera phone and take the relatively good shot of Kate smiling as she entered the office.  

The quality does not preclude a professional. Frankly, for a rainy night, and what appears to be a relative distance, these are not terrible shots. We have seen similar quality before from professional paps. Cast your mind back to a balmy night in July of 2009. William and Kate left a quiet dinner at a cozy pub, and in the car park William decided the time was ripe for a quick kiss. In the video, you can hear the camera snapping, and both the video and still shots share a similar low-res nature to the October 15th shots. This is to be expected, after all, it's dark and popping flashes might not be the most subtle approach for a lurking pap. (warning: video not for the faint-of-stalking-heart)






Lastly, did William and Kate tip-off the photographer to garner good press? I don't quibble before saying, I reject the theory entirely. Everyone and their brother had a pretty good sense of how far along Kate was, so we all knew the 12-week mark was any day. Everyone also knows Dr. Farthing is the lead on this pregnancy, and his office location is a matter of public record. This would have been an easy stake-out, if the spirit moved one to add to his vacation fund.

Ok, kids. Sherlock needs more coffee and some breakfast. This was a Saturday Special Report. I welcome alternate theories and suggestions, and details I have overlooked, but as always, keep the conversation classy and polite, s'il vous plaît.

Have a lovely weekend! 




32 comments:

  1. Wow! Great work, Sherlock! If you aren't writing legal briefs for a living, you should. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the twitter/instagram photos are covering up a lot of your text on my computer. Any way to delete them so I can read your post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy: I switched them to still shots, rather than embedded. That should clear up the problem. Let me know if it is still giving you trouble.

      Delete
  3. Jane again another great post. On Charlotte blog she posted that it is for sure the 15th. She got it from one of her royal sources.
    I don't know why people have to question everything this poor couple does.
    I wish yh much happiness with their growing family.
    It is nice to see yh out together even of it just a dr appt.
    hope we see th on the. 21st.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Route 2: just ask. That works, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Can't comment on whether they are old photos but can confirm that in central London it rained heavily on the evening of the 15th and was cool enough to warrant a coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I needed you this morning! I needed someone on the scene. :)

      Delete
  5. I can say for certainty that it rained that day as I was there. Although she seems very healthy and happy. So I question how awful she has felt. Glad she feels good. Curious why she has to be pregnant again so close to George birth. Question why they spent so much taxpayers money on Kensington palace when they plan to be primarily at norfolk and why she seems ok now but wasn't not 5 days ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people visiting their doctors do so because they feel ill.
      Having had severe HG in my first pregnancy, I was advised that as soon as I suspected I might be pregnant with my second, I should rest and all would be well. It wasn't!
      Can't help wondering if that was what Catherine was told, hoping that no one would question not being seen in August. If so, it didn't work for her either.

      Delete
    2. Hi Anon,

      From what I understand about HG, you can feel horrible one day and almost human the next. I imagine Kate wanted to be feeling better for some time before committing to any engagements in order to make sure she really is over the worst of the symptoms. These pictures have me hoping that she is over the worst of it and will be on the mend soon. I too have questioned the Norfolk move, 6.5 million is an awful lot to spend on a London bolt hole, when parts of BP are in such need of repair that parts of the outside facade have broken off and almost fell on Princess Anne.

      Delete
    3. I love your comment Simone and am totally with you.

      Delete
    4. I can answer most of these questions very succinctly.
      1. She has felt awful. Keep in mind that she was hospitalized for the same condition last pregnancy, and both William and Harry attested to how very ill she was.
      2. She got reagent again so close to George because she wanted another child. And there is no reason at all to wait. And now George will have a sibling close in age. Kate has always said she wants lots of children. I hope she has more.
      3.KP is an historical building. Any renovation was going to be quite expensive. They will use KP as their official residence for years and years to come. It was entirely timely and appropriate to do that work now. At the same time, they have every intention of maintaining a private life of sorts in the country, and again, there was no reason to put off getting norfolk fixed up and ready to live in. That way, there family can be together while William works his job.
      I think that answers your questions.
      I don't like to read more intent into a comment than is present. It wasn't clear to me if these were genuine concerns you and or of you were simply venting some passive aggressive, anti-Kate emotions here. I am leaning toward the latter, which has contributed to the tone of my response, but my sincere apologies if I have read your remarks incorrectly.

      Delete
  6. There is the possibility that someone leaked info on W/Ks whereabouts ahead-of-time, hence, the pap stake out. It certainly wouldn't be the first time this has happened to members of the Royal family, and since Kate hasn't been seen since early Sept., the pics might be worth more. If there is a leaker, I imagine that the motive was money. However, I think your explanation is more reasonable, Jane; after all, we all know how many photographers were willing to wait around for Kate in July, 2013. What a life; no wonder Will is so keen on privacy.

    I DID wonder if the pics were old ones that had just been sitting in someones filing cabinet, maybe because they weren't very good, but were purchased with other, better ones, awaiting a rainy day, but agree that there is no way to tell if there is any truth in that.

    I keep waiting for an official announcement; of course, there is no guarantee that this was Kate's 12-week check-up, either. When you get right down to it, we don't know much. Yet. (If it wasn't her 12-week visit, then I would be more inclined to consider either a leak or that these were old photos.)

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane. I just love your style of writing. It's very entertaining. You really rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was really stoked to get this comment. :) Sorry ti took me a bit to respond, it has been a little busy on this end!

      Delete
  8. Excellent analysis and very good reading! Interesting to watch the little 2009 video of William and Kate embracing too; I'd seen the stills before but not the video. It appears that Kate has moved away to enter the car, and William pulls her to him, or indicates for her to come etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I love that video! it's so natural and cute. We don't have really many other instances quite like it. It was a sweet moment.

      Delete
  9. Jane, you are hereby awarded the Sherlock Holmes prize for "Going above and beyond the duties required of a Kate blogger"! Its an Australian award and highly regarded you know :-)
    Please find your award attached :-)
    https://www.thegadgetchannel.co.uk/ViewItem.php?ItemID=Sherlock-Holmes-Deerstalker-Hat-+-Pipe-Outfit-112
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Anon 5:28, Why would her going to a doctors apt. at probably 12 Weeks cause you question ' how awful she has felt'. Have you never been ill and then recover? Have you ever gone out to a doctor's office when you have not felt well? Also, just because she has gone on an outing to visit her doctor does not mean she has fully recovered from HG.

    As far as your musing ' Curious why she has to be pregnant again so close to George birth' - my question - why not. George will be about 21 months of age when this berrn arrives - not unusual spacing, just about right fora 32 yr. old women was possibly planning for another child before she turns 35.

    As to you question about KP - it has gotten very OLD. PLEASE move on. It's a done deal and has been hashed beyond warranting any more comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,

      You know, people can have questions and not be attacking W&K. It is so frustrating on this and other Kate centric sites that when someone doesn't agree with everything W&K do, say, wear, etc... the poster gets attacked, mocked and put down. I quit posting on one site due to this very reason, I have continued to post here because that was never an issue. It's really sad to see it starting here.

      Delete
  11. Having spent time with a colleague who suffered from HG through the first two trimesters of her pregnancy, I can attest that you can feel fine and normal one day only to feel horrible the next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two things: First I think people are stretching with the photos being old. We would have seen them sooner since it was Kate's first pregnancy and any baby bump photo was in high demand. Also, the water on the windshield looks exactly like water on a windshield with the street light reflecting. I think it is funny that anyone thought it was ice. In my opinion it is obviously rain. I live in a lot of rain so maybe that is why it is so obvious to me.

    Secondly: Jane were you jokingly saying that the 'dastardly American papers' will print those pictures. And your partially blind faith? I don't know if I missed your tone and you were joking. Because if you were serious it would be a bit hypocritical since you also post the photos. Don't get me wrong, I love that you do and give your opinion on them. That is part of the reason I enjoy your blog. So, I mean no disrespect. I just didn't know if I was taking it the wrong way:). Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tongue in cheek. I am very vocal in my support of almost all pap photos and am myself an American. I mdae the joke because the UK papers take the high ground and do not print and much is made of the Wild West Americans who will print anything they can buy. It was all in good humor, though, I assure you.

      Delete
    2. Well, now, the US are prudes - they won't publish nudity, unlike other foreign dailys. The UK press is actually under constant legal threat from the royal family -- I don't know if it is high ground, more than they can't afford the legal bills.

      Delete
  13. Once again great analysis. Love this blog. Hope DoC continues to feel well and makes a working appearance this week. Ruth G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Really, it is lovely to hear from all of you who like the blog. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  14. Hello, can the length of her hair give it away, its much shorter now than in the photographs (length of hair in her last appearance). I could be wrong.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure that helps. In these photos her hair is curly and not blown out. That would make it appear several inches shorter.

      Delete
  15. Hello everyone, sorry for my english, I'm Italian and I often read your blog. I wanted to give my opinion about this post ... I think the photos are old. The reason? The length of the hair of Kate. In the photos of the gynecological examination are much longer than the last official appearance in August (August 5, When She visited the poppy installation at the Tower of London with William and Harry). I do not think the hair have grown so fast in 3 months. Instead the length coincides with photos of Kate taken during official appointments followed his admission.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!