Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Christmas Photos of Prince George Released by Clarence House

Saturday, December 13, 2014

The radio keeps saying "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." And that would seem to be justified, because this morning Emily Andrews of The Sun and Paul Harrison of Sky told me royal watchers had a surprise coming our way. Needless to say, it immediately became a day of anticipation. I was actually very much hoping that William and Kate would release a family Christmas photo, which they have never done in the past, but to live is to change. When the photos were released, they were solo shots of George. I was a little disappointed, but it is hard not to love these absolutely, drop-dead charming snaps.


The mischievous tot is pictured sitting on the steps of Kensington Palace is an impeccable ensemble doubtless put together by his picture-perfect mother. He really is a bright-eyed boy and obviously full of spunk. William and Kate didn't waste any time jetting home to their little prince, whom they had left in the care of his grandparents in Bucklebury.


I have to say, I far, far prefer these shots of George to the first set. His little ensemble is classic and traditional yet still hip. (He will have no cause to reproach mom in later years...) Kate has done very well. These beautiful photos are quite worthy of the history books and museums in which they will one day be displayed. Of course, below we have the photo that is destined to be a viral-meme. I will get the ball rolling and say the caption needs to discuss his thirst for power and world domination. Relax George, you have a throne coming your way, and there is plenty of time left in your life to demand fealty from France... 



While Kate doubtless cuddled with George and recovered from her busy three days and two trans-atlatinc flights in less than a week, William got right back into the spotlight at the unveiling of a new monument at the National Memorial Arboretum. As the president of the FA, he was on hand to dedicate a memorial to the Christmas Day truce of 1914, where the German and British troops called a ceasefire and came together to celebrate the birth of Christ. They exchanged gifts and, iconically, played football (aka: soccer, oh Americans) together. 



Sainsbury's Christmas ad this year dramatized this event, and it is well worth a watch. William commented that the 1914 truce, "remains wholly relevant today as a message of hope and humanity, even in the bleakest of times. Football, then as now, had the power to bring people together and break down barriers."  He is the president of the FA... I hope you are wearing waterproof mascara and that your tissues are nearby:



Back to the boy of the hour: in chatting after the ceremony, William remarked that George cannot fall asleep if there is any noise. I think our cutie-prince is still a handful. This is a lucky week for royal watchers. It was December 12th of 2010 that William and Kate released their engagement photos. At the time, we were inundated with computer generated extrapolations of future children the royal couple would produce--all the while the two had probably yet to even choose their wedding cake flavor, God bless them. 


Thankfully, four years later, this handsome little boy looks nothing like those odd pictures we could not escape, and instead he is that beautiful blend of both parents, and both families.  I still think that George more closely resembles his mother. Those big brown eyes and strong eyebrows are very much of the Middleton side. Still, in the magical way that features mix, he strongly resembles his handsome dad and I suspect that will be a resemblance that grows as the years tick by. 




21 comments:

  1. Oh Jane, THANK YOU for the neat photos. AND THANKS to William and Kate for releasing them. I am not really disappointed that is was not a family photo. While it would have been really nice to see the whole family, we have seen quite a few pix of William and Kate in the last few months so at least we can now put them, at least in our minds, as a family. He is sooo adorable!!! I can see both William and Kate in the photos - maybe a little more Kate. Think I need to see another photo of William at this age as well to refresh my memory ;-)

    It is also great to see William stepping up to the plate, so as to speak, in taking on more royal duties even while studying for his flying exams. Your are so right, I needed to reach for the Kleenex box when watching this ad. Silent Night being sung in both English and German simultaneous was so moving, but the music after, a well known christian hymn called "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" was so very meaningful. A reminder that we can not understand why things like WW I can take place, but "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" is the only thing that makes these horrific events at all bearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly agree with you :-) I would have liked a family photo of them all (including Lupo), or just a photo or George and Lupo interacting. In the past we've seen that they view Lupo as a member of the family and I would love to see that continue.

      Delete
    2. Hi eva!! I am really thrilled they released the shots. They made a comment that they appreciated the space they were getting to raise George in privacy, which seems like more of a future request than the reality. There was a lot of pressure to have George appear on Christmas and I think this is their way of nicely saying: NO. :)

      I would love a family shot...maybe someone will share the Christmas card!! Fingers are crossed on that one.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pictures---can't you tell he is just plotting some mischief? He seems to have grown up so much since we last had a photo.
    Thanks for publishing so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he a doll? I feel like he has grown significantly!! And it doesn't feel like it was that long ago that we saw him. Amazing how they get big so quickly.

      Delete
  3. Carmen, The NetherlandsDecember 14, 2014 at 3:28 AM

    You're absolutely right Jane; He is a beautiful blend of both his parents. And what a jolly little boy he is! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you think his eyebrows are Kate's? SO, so strong. He is darling.

      Delete
  4. How lovely an article Jane! George is the spitting image of both his parents and what a mischevious look! And those cheeks... Have a lovely Sunday!
    Best,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie!! My heart melted when I saw these shots. :) He is super precious. Lucky William and Kate!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely little boy :) he looks so mischievous! I can't be the only one looking forward to seeing him grow up. I think he's going to be such a handful when he's older. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think he will be a wild child, but we will love him like Harry despite it all. :)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely,lovely baby,he is too nice,and he looks to Price William when he was a little boy!
    Excuse me for my bad English,i am Italian,from Rome and i adore The Cambridge!Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is great, Elena! Thanks for taking the trouble to weigh in! He is an amazing mix of Kate and William, isn't he? And, a little guy all his own. It was certainly very gracious of the Cambridges to give us these intimate shots.

      Delete
  7. Is it how kids in UK are normally dressed, short pants in december and black socks with sandals, I'm just curious because I didn' use such cloths with my son

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very classic look. A little retro, but I don't think it is terribly unusual, no. My mother used the same style. It's just very traditional. I think it is lovely, though.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Jane,

    Thanks for this post!

    "Gorgeous George" is just...gorgeous!!! He appears to have snagged the photogenic gene from Mommy-very lucky for him. He has grown up so much from the July pics. Is it just me or does anyone else see a lot of his Aunt Pippa in George?

    The grocery store ad did make me cry. Just think of almost 4 more years of outright slaughter of such precious young men after that 1914 Christmas Day cease fire. Let us all make a Christmas wish that similar waste will stop happening everywhere.

    Happy Christmas to all! - Sandringham pics are likely the next event, maybe Will and Kate's Xmas Lunch first...



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put my finger on it, but I think you are absolutely right! His Middleton features and those dark eyes are very Pippa, yes. And even the kind of mischievous look, which Pippa often displays. Very cool. I will keep more of an eye out for the resemblance.

      Delete
  9. He is soooo cute, I want one just like that. And he has grown up a lot, he is a little boy now ! It is a good thing we do not see him too often, we can observe real changes.

    HS : is it just for me or some comments have disappeared on the blog, especially those posted during the NYC trip ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there! So, we have made some changes here. I switched to Disqus about a month or two ago and while I liked it, the majority of readers very much disliked it. I think it made the commenting process more work for a lot, the comments did load quickly, and people often couldn't even find the comments, so.... I removed Disqus in the pas 36 hours. That deleted comments on the blog for the period Disqus was the comment host. I backed up the comments and will try to reinstall them on the blog, but for the moment they are gone. I am so sorry for all the trouble.:( Growing pains... :)

      Delete
  10. The second picture, the one where he's looking straight at the camera, is his most Winston Churchill pic yet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these pics! George just looks so content/confident/happy with his life, and those huge brown eyes are to die for.

    IMO, he looks more Middleton/Spencer than Mountbatten/Windsor. The facial structure is Middleton, the eye colour is pure Middleton, the size of the eyes are both Kate ad Diana, the long legs, suggestive of height, are Spencer.

    I do hope that he doesn't inherit his fathers premature baldness, altho that is to be expected, and I really hope that he doesn't inherit the Mountbatten/Windsor gums, most prominently displayed by Princess Beatrice, less prominently, by Anne, Zara, Peter and William.

    JC

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!