Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Easter & The Cambridges: A Holiday All Their Own

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter is the Cambridge family holiday for which we have very little precedent. Christmas was a little uncertain, but it seems the two are trying to respect the Royal Family's Sandringham tradition, while still involving the Middletons, but we have no pattern at all for Easter. In 2011, it came before the Royal Wedding, and William spent it with Kate and the Middletons in Bucklebury. That year, Easter Sunday fell on the 24th, and a less than a week later, the couple were married, so I imagine that they needed that low-key time to prepare for the microscope that was about to come into very sharp focus. Just three days after the holiday, Kate was spotted putting the final touches to her wedding arrangements:



Perhaps, we were starting to see a pattern of sharing when the two then spent their first Easter as a married couple in Scotland with Charles and Camilla. They were spotted attending Easter Sunday services at the Crathie Kirk. US Weekly reported at the time:
"It was a beautiful service," the royal aide says. "Afterwards, they were back at Balmoral for Sunday lunch."
William had only recently returned from his tour in the Falklands, and William and Kate had flown almost directly to France for a ski holiday with the Middletons, which doubtless they considered an early Easter celebration, among other things.



In 2013, they were quietly ensconced in Anglesey. Kate was pregnant with George, but had been carrying a relatively full calendar. The couple attended the Sunday service at St. Cadwalader, where they graciously signed the visitors book. Just four days later, they flew north to Scotland for two days of engagements.



We all know where the Cambridge family celebrated Easter Sunday in 2014. Last year, we were all hopped up on coffee and adrenaline as Kate absolutely stunned in a cool, grey ensemble from Alexander McQueen and Jane Taylor:


Later in the day, and in keeping with the family-centered holiday, they took George to the zoo for one of the most hotly anticipated events of the tour. Opening the bilby pen named in the little prince's honor. 


It was only later that photos emerged of Kate and William, fully dressed for their morning Easter service clothes, kneeling in the grass enjoying their son's first Easter egg hunt!


This year, Kate was spotted on a number of occasions in the past week. The two must have spent Palm Sunday in Norfolk, since the Duchess was seen shopping on, of all days, April 1st. A young man who works at a Currys (computer store) in King's Lynn described his excitement seeing Kate arrive with a security entourage, to pick up a printer. Apparently, she had six officers with her, and was driving herself in one of two Range Rovers. Additionally, she picked up kitchen supplies, maybe for something she was preparing for today? 

Meanwhile, stories are circulating that Kate had "feminine" paint samples delivered to Anmer. The Express reported:
The Duchess of Cambridge fuelled speculation yet again after a set of expensive feminine paint samples by Oxford interior design company Annie Sloan were understood to be supplied to the royals.
Henrietta, Antoinette, Emile

I believe the origin of the story is the Daily Mail. That is full-disclosure, kids, and I submit it to you without a hint prejudice for any party. The piece continues:
According to the Daily Mail the colours are understood to be Henrietta, a ‘beautiful rich complex pink with a hint of lilac’, Antoinette, a ‘soft pale pink with a hint of brown’, reminiscent of ‘old-fashioned roses and the colour of old plaster’ and Emile, a ‘warm soft aubergine colour with pink red undertones’.
If the paint rumors are true to begin with, those might be baby room colors, but honestly, they seem to be universal enough that they could just be for an airy and relaxed morning room. I wouldn't head straight to your local bookie and max-out on you betting limit.

The Queen celebrated Easter at Windsor, as she does every year. In some sense, the Cambridges have set an Easter precedent, simply by not having set any precedent. Without any hard and fast habits, they do not have to answer to the expectations of the public or either family, and are free to juggle the holiday as it fits their personal needs and schedule. I suspect that William and Kate will maintain Easter as their own holiday, to spend as they choose, for as long as possible.  That seems a very healthy balance for a young family.



I wish you and yours a joyous Easter! I suggest alternating between chocolate and champagne for the rest of the day... ;)






27 comments:

  1. A very Happy and blessed Easter to you Jane. Great post as always. Do miss seeing photos but it is nice they are spending it on private.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to everyone who is celebrating.

    Today, I read some negative comments about W&K (regarding Easter) and I appreciate the facts and common sense in this post. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter to you. I agree that those pinks are too adult for a nursery, but I have to admit I'm rooting for a princess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am familiar with Annie Sloan paints (never used sadly :( ), they are chalk paints used on furniture, and then covered with wood wax after some distressing. They would not be appropriate for walls at all. I have used chalk paint on a side table and a gossip bench, so I can really see a pink color used anywhere, but I would put it in a sunroom personally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie Sloan paints! Kate has good taste - I love them! Doesn't necessarily mean a girl but isn't it nice to dream? I would love to see how Kate would dress a little girl! Unusual that she would order chalk paints. Could it be she's got a little bit of a DIY nesting bug?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jane for a great post. Especially for the musical tribute to Easter From King's College. One of my favorite places to visit !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yankee from CaliforniaApril 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM

    Hi Jane! I have been interested in the BRF since childhood and have read a few DoC blogs in the past -- somehow missing yours until this weekend. I want to say that I love your writing style, your involvement with your readers and the lovely environment you have created. I look forward to enjoying the new baby's arrival with you and all of your readers (especially a few whose names I recognize here!)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yankee from CaliforniaApril 5, 2015 at 9:45 PM

    Hi Jane! I have been interested in the BRF since childhood and have read a few DoC blogs in the past -- somehow missing yours until this weekend. I want to say that I love your writing style, your involvement with your readers and the lovely environment you have created. I look forward to enjoying the new baby's arrival with you and all of your readers (especially a few whose names I recognize here!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Yankee from California... I'm very happy to see you here. :)))

      Delete
    2. Happy to see positive old friends here to both Yankee from california and royalfan !!!!! A great site!

      Delete
    3. Amen, Eva. Thank you. :))

      A great site indeed!

      Delete
    4. Yankee from CaliforniaApril 6, 2015 at 6:02 PM

      Hello to both of you! I am so excited to have found you both here in such a friendly place! :-)

      Delete
    5. Having no plan is a plan. Jane, I don't know how you always manage to come up with photos I have never
      seen before.
      Thank-you for the music from Cambridge-how appropriate! The organ is glorious and lifted my spirits.
      Eva B., have you really heard that organ in person?
      Another old friend

      Delete
    6. Oh Yes mkleinfeld, several times - as well as many other Organs in the UK. As an organist in my second life - I seek out all the organs I can find wherever I go :-) and play on as many as I can. Unfortunately - have never had the opportunity to play on this wonderful instrument. Also love to hear "Carols from Kings" every Christmas Eve !!

      Great to find another "old friend" on this site.

      Delete
    7. Yankee, please stay here. It is a very friendly environment. And as we wait for Baby Cambridge no 2, why not do it in a positive way. Don't worry about other Blogs. Let it go :-)
      Old Friend

      Delete
    8. i was betting on the 10th to 12th for baby Cambridge to show up - my nerves will be I n shreds not to mention my reputation :-)
      Hello Yankee, EvaB and MKleinfeld - lovely to chat agin :-)
      Simone

      Delete
    9. Lovely comment Old Friend :-) superb blog and a distinct lack of animosity which keeps me coming back!
      Thanks Jne - nice one!

      Delete
    10. Yankee from CaliforniaApril 9, 2015 at 6:02 PM

      Thanks to all of you. There are many places we can go to read the work of excellent bloggers and I'm so happy that Jane is providing one of them. I like the idea of a little fun escape from my extremely stressful life. It may be juvenile of me to want a safe place to "fan-girl" but I'm okay with that! I haven't read everything here, but I have found intelligent conversation that is fostered by a caring blogger and I appreciate this comments section's cohesive vibe. Royalfan, Eva, Simone and others, thank you for being the awesome people you are!

      As for the baby, I am so torn! I hope George gets a little brother because there's nothing like having a sibling who is the same sex and so close in age. But selfishly, I die to see a little girl. I have a boy and a girl two years apart and they have always been so sweet together - well, almost always! I know I'm out on a limb with this name, but I'd love to see a Prince Nicholas! And definitely Princess Alexandra. I think the shortened versions are cute for a child and work really well for adults.

      Delete
    11. Thank you, Yankee. :) I agree; there's enough stress in our lives. The title works for me...I want to enjoy some stress-free downtime at the end of the day.

      Regarding Baby Cambridge, well, I keep telling myself healthy baby first and foremost. And then I find myself seeing PINK. Lol.

      Delete
  9. I usually enjoy your blogpost! One comment though: Malvinas and not Falkands...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prince William would never refer to the Falkland Islands by any other name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sonja from BavariaApril 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM

    I hope that everyone had a happy and blessed Easter!

    Thank you for this nice post, Jane. I think it's great for the little Cambridge family to celebrate this holiday in private, even though it's a pity for us that we don't get to see them. IMO, it would be a great idea to release a family picture instead.

    As every year, we celebrated Easter at my grandma's with all the close and distant relatives - my little cousins looking for easter eggs were just so cute! William and Kate surely enjoyed this holiday with George (my cousin Katharina is only a few months younger than him and she was so cute! I can imagine him being a cheeky boy).

    I hope they enjoy the last time alone with George - it won't be easy for him to get used to a younger sibling... poor Georgie. (Even though Kate spends a lot of quality time with him - going to the museum, etc)

    Can't wait for the baby to be born!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the paint colours would be nice for a sitting room for Catherine. If they are indeed furniture paint, she might be renovating some old chest of drawers for her new sitting room. I can see her just relaxing with a book and some classical music, looking out over the treetops... Whilst her babies are napping she might take some tea and dark chocolates with Pippa and her Mother :-)
    Old Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a sweet picture!

      Delete
    2. Eva B.- please let us know when you finally get to play the King's College magnificent instrument. There must be a way!

      Delete
  13. Hello all, do people think that George makes enough 'public appearances'? We seem to rely on candid photos to sometimes see him...there's an recent article by Camilla Tominey in the 'Daily Express' debating this point, and mentioning that the New Zealand/Australia appearances don't 'count' as they weren't on British soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I do wish they would release more official photos, I believe all appearances count. And the level of exposure/coverage during the NZ/Australia tour was unprecedented. My two cents... :)

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!