Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Royal Watcher's Guide to Periscope

Thursday, April 30, 2015

As the Royal Baby prepares to make his or her appearance, the excitement and interest is giving a boost to media, papers, bloggers, the fashion industry and more. One perhaps unlikely star in the #LindoWingWatch show is Twitter's new live-feed app Periscope! Launched just over a month ago, the app allows iOS users to alert all their followers (via Twitter) of their live broadcast. This might seem an amateur's tool, but this second arrival of a Cambridge HRH is a little different from Round 1, and the circumstances have made it ripe for Periscoping to take off.



In 2013, the press were allowed to set up in front of the Lindo Wing on July 1st. One of London's hottest summers on record, photographers, reporters, cameramen and more spent hours under the glaring sun waiting for Kate to come to the hospital and have her first child. There were 24-hour live feeds of the Lindo Wing door, and reporters snatched at anything to have something to say as the days ticked slowly by. Prince George was not born until the 22nd of July, but for the unhappy group stuffed into the press pens, those twenty-two days likely felt closer to a lifetime. 

In a bid to avoid the same circus, Kensington Palace changed the rules for this Lindo Wing Watch. Since The Duchess of Cambridge was due mid-late April, no press was allowed to set up until the 15th of the month. Positions are assigned, to bypass the jostling of 2013, triggered by a first-come, first served policy, and no broadcasting is to take place until Kate is confirmed to have been admitted to the hospital. 

Most of these rules are for everyone's benefit, and the media and Palace alike seem pleased with the parameters, and the more organized results. Nevertheless, fans are desperate for more up-to-the minute news, and thankfully Twitter had solved the dilemma. Enter Periscope, which has become the royal reporting tool de rigueur. One by one, press began using the app and the airwaves are now thick with transmittals from the frontline.

If you have Twitter and an iPhone, simply download the app, and you will be presented with a list of everyone you follow on Twitter who also has the Periscope app. You can then choose whom you wish to follow. When any given broadcaster begins a live-feed, you will get a little chirping bird noise to alert you a broadcast is beginning. Tune in, and presto, you are transported to the Lindo Wing for an instant update. The app allows users to interact with the broadcaster, and many of the reporters are happy to field questions from fans.  Android users have been left a little in the cold with this Apple-only feature, but if you do not have an Apple phone, I believe you can download the Periscope app to your computer. 

Who should you follow?  My recommendations...

Max Foster: (@MaxFosterCNN) The veteran CNN anchor has really nailed the whole Periscope process, delivering relaxed and fluid reports. Max fields questions really well, and diffuses the occasional royal-hater with tact and humor. As most television reporters are, Max is easy on the eyes, a fact has not gone unnoticed by more than one viewer. But, ladies, before you dump Prince Harry and change those Tumblr handles to @FosterForever, he is married, as he has injected this status into more than one commentary. Cool it, and stick with Harry... 

Tim Ewart (@EwartRoyale) Tim interviews Victoria Murphy and Emily Nash with regularity. He is pleasant and constant, and, he parries the occasional offensive tweet with good grace. Double points from me.

Simon Vigar (@SimonVigar5) Truthfully, I am not sure I am always awake or concentrating when Mr. Vigar broadcasts, but I see his name popping on my iPhone, so if you want frequent updates, he is worth a follow.

James Whatling (@JWhatling) James broadcasts in the wee hours for me, so I only catch him if I am restless, but sleepy. I know I have never given his Periscopes their just dessert, but James takes many of the most beautiful photos you see on this blog, so I am always pleased to see him pop up.

Paul Harrison (@SkyNewsEditor) Paul is still favorite in royal circles, even though he has moved to loftier reporting. He isn't on the royal beat anymore, but we all remember him fondly from the days he covered Kate and, of course, the first GreatKateWait. Frankly, if you are interested in politics, his Periscopes are still quite interesting--he is following the British elections and I am loving it!

Emily Nash (@emynash) Super cute reporter over at The Sun, Emily will occasionally do her own Periscope, but is often a guest. The girls in general haven't exactly taken to Periscope, but they often star in the boys' productions--appropriate. You are more likely to catch Emily on Tim or Max's feed.

Lastly, Jesal Parshotam (@therealjesal) stole the show tonight when he gave an after dark tour of the area around the Lindo Wing, including taking us behind the hospital to the back entrance Kate used when she slipped in at dawn when in labor with George. He showed us where the photographers are waiting, and the possible entrances the Duchess might use this time. It was really, really fun and informative. It just won hands down--the best Periscope of the Great Kate Wait.

Obviously, as soon as Kate is admitted, every journalist and photographer will abandon Periscope for their high def cameras, but I think the app will continue to be a major player in royal reporting as media will likely broadcast live all number of royal events, and importantly for us fashion watchers, the royal arrivals. Instant fashion for all!

If you are on Twitter, follow From Berkshire to Buckingham @HRHKateBlog. Occasionally, I say something sarcastic or acerbic. :)

Hopefully, we will have a new baby very soon!


16 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to look into Periscope but never got around to it. Thanks for all the information Jane! I'm joining the Periscope bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ! I'm absolutely loving this new form of media sharing! Ive been following all of these reporters and they've been great!

    Another person that has been great to follow regarding the Royal Baby wait that's not on this list is Kay Burley (@KayBurley)! She did a Periscope Palace tour starting at the Lindo Wing and then on to Buck Place and changing of the guard, Kensington, St. James's, and Diana Memorial Park all while answering questions about what she knew of what had been going on regarding the baby wait and answering viewers questions. It was a neat idea instead of just staring at the front door to the Lindo Wing the whole time! haha Hopefully this baby will be born soon though! I cant begin to imagine how the Duchess feels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although she might not want to wait that long, it would be great if Kate gave birth on Star Wars Day (May the 4th be with you!), then they could name the prince Luke or the princess Leia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that we are into May, I believe it MAY be right to consider a revision to the name of the next princess. To wit, altho I love Caroline Elizabeth Frances and Alice Elizabeth Frances, what could be more suitable than Mary Elizabeth Frances? Mary was the name of the Queens grandmother, and, within the family she was known as May. Just a thought. Plus, Charlotte just doesn't do it for me--too fusty, and it also happens to be Pippas middle name, and I don't happen to be a Pippa fan.

    If this child, generally accepted as *the spare*, should be a boy, then, after several months of ruminating, I have decided that the very best name would be James William Francis or William James Francis.

    Basically, I see it this way. George Alexander Louis was named after the Windsor and Spencer side of the family. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think George is one of the POWs names and Louis is one of Williams. Alexander is a name well represented within the Royal family tree. However, it must be noted that all three names are well represented in the current Spencer (Diana's nephews) family as well.

    Surely, this time around, Kate's side of the family ought to be acknowledged, i.e., Elizabeth, as a middle name, covers the Queen, Carole Middleton, and the child's mother, Kate. Frances covers both Diana and Mike Middleton.

    James William Francis covers Kates brother, husband and father. And of course James covers many Royal precedents, as does William. I would rest easier if I thought that Kate, and her side of the family, were well-represented this time round.--Last time, they were ignored.

    I also hope that, this time, the choice of godparents reflects a whole lot more of Kate and a whole lot less of William and the Royal family, in general.

    Time for William to man up and show us, via his actions, that he stands by his wife, that she is more than a brood mare.

    JMO, and maybe a bit OTT, not to mention a tad off topic. But I call it as I see it.

    JC



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree about the godparents, it was VERY one-sided.

      Delete
  5. @JC. Um, pretty sure he doesn't view her as a brood mare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A late reply, but keep in mind that at the same stage in Charles and Diana's marriage, you and countless others might have said the same thing.

      JC

      Delete
  6. Is this a sponsored post... I can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this is not a sponsored post. My sponsored posts are noted within the content, so had this been a sponsored post you would have seen something like, "Periscope reached out to me..." or "The team at Twitter emailed me and introduced me to their new app Periscope..." It is, however, like every post on this blog, whether sponsored or not, a topic that is of interest to me and that pertains to the subject of the blog. Periscope is very new and many are not familiar with it, but the royal reporters have been using it quite a bit and royal watchers are loving it. I received several requests on Twitter to suggest my favorite broadcasters and some people were still confused as to what Periscope even is! So, I wrote a post to let everyone in on the fun.

      I will say, though, that your comment suggests a negative attitude toward sponsored posts, and I want to address that right now. As you can see on the About page, this blog does “host” sponsored posts. I only work with brands that I personally would vouch for, and of those brands, only the ones that pertain in some way to fashion or to Kate. This blog and my new website Kate’s Clothes are very, very costly to maintain every month, to say absolutely nothing of the hours, and hours of time I put into the blog myself. I sacrifice a great deal of my time and my expendable--and at times non-expendable--income, to create a space that I think is lovely, that I enjoy, and that I hope others enjoy as well. I welcome any advertiser to pitch to me a product they think is appropriate on this blog. I have a discerning and tasteful audience and I am proud that brands seek out this community, and am thankful that there are companies interested in to marketing to Kate fans, because it keeps this blog in existence.

      Delete
    2. I love your reply. So what if this blog is sponsored? This is my first stop for all things princess Kate.

      Delete
    3. Well said Jane!!! Keep on rockin' the blog and the websites... they are fabulous and who really cares if anything is sponsored?? As you said your followers are discerning (I like to think that I am anyway :) ) any site can support a sponsor or prop up anything they want.. it is up to me to decide if I want to jump and check it out or pass. Freewill... now about that BABY! Going slightly mad in New York USA.... maybe a glass of wine will help me pass the time? LOL

      Delete
    4. Go, Jane, go!! As long as you maintain your integrity (don't make deals which compromise your view of Kate, or anything else) who cares? Not me.

      JC

      Delete
  7. @KensingtonRoyal: HRH The Duchess of Cambridge was admitted at 06.00hrs to St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London and is in the early stages of labour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I've said before love your blog Jane but sometimes less is more - you don't need to explain / justify your position on sponsorship - it's YOIR blog and those of us who follow you love you for that alone!
    Now muchore exciting things are happening over at the Limdo Wing! Woo hoo!!
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh! My excitement got in the way of my spelling ;-) sorry!!
    I'm thrilled at the news!
    Simone

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!