Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Happy 2nd Birthday, Prince George!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

It is the 22nd of July! Happy memories all around, eh? Today, we are celebrating the 2nd birthday of Prince George Alexander Louis, who two years ago was nameless and so still going by "Royal Baby". Two years on and he has blossomed into quite the bundle of energy as he is ooohed and cooed over by people around the globe.  This past week, I wondered how the Palace would deal with the picture scenario. Kensington Palace answered the question early by releasing a photo yesterday of the birthday boy taken at Princess Charlotte's christening:


I am so glad that they released something, even if it isn't a whole new shoot. We were just glutted with photos from the baptism, to say nothing of the four shots of the little Cambridges taken by Kate at the family's Anmer Hall home last month. The Palace likes to space out photos of George, but you can't exactly let his 2nd birthday pass without a fuss. They compromised by releasing this secondary shot. It struck me this afternoon that Kate isn't in the picture, which more fully keeps the focus on George. I don't know if that was deliberate, or if they really loved this daddy/son shot.  



It has been a very fun two years, and everyone has enjoyed getting a little peak at this tiny prince's precocious personality. From the moment he was introduced to the world, George got busy letting everyone know he had arrived on the scene. In stark contrast to Princess Charlotte's placid, sleeping face at her own presentation, Prince George wriggled and wailed as the photographers snapped and his parents chatted with the press. Who can forget the little fist thrust from the blanket and the headlines that zipped around the world: Royal Baby's First Wave! 



At his christening in October of that year, George was calmer, but no less alert, his big eyes trained on his mother and his tiny hands clasped, almost as if in pious prayer:


To celebrate George's birthday, I have put together a few of my favorite snaps of George, and the corresponding thoughts I imagine passing through his head. ;).

We got our first solid glimpses of George's personality on the tour in Australia and New Zealand:

"Seriously, Mom? I thought Down Under was supposed to be warm. I hope you packed more than just my shorts..." 



"Hmm, next I ought to perform a feat of strength. I will show my advanced toddling skills, I think."



"Ugh, how to break this gently. They're oblivious, but those flowers were clearly meant for me."



"Aaack! What. in. the. WORLD?! Mom! Dad! Someone shaved all that rabbit's hair off!"


"Mother thinks she is keeping me amused. The naiveté."



"Daaaad! What's the use of being the future king if we don't leave when I command it? Make this ceaseless chatter stop and let's be off!"



"All the men here have horses. I have no horse!"



 "My kingdom for a horse!"


"Wow. You were right, there are a lot. You said we just wave, right? We don't have to shake everyone's hand, I hope..."



"Oooh, it is good to let your hair down and relax!"



"Forget you saw that...now."


"Well done, Mom and Dad. You always have such interesting things for me to peek at. Thankfully, she is better looking than that bilby."


"Oh the memories..."



Georgie, I have no idea what is going on in your head, but you are a real cutie. It is incredible to reflect that he has only been around two years! Four years ago today, Kate was a newly married princess, and she was at Buckingham Palace with Queen Elizabeth:


Kate and the Queen were visiting the Summer Opening exhibit at Buckingham Palace, which featured Kate's own Royal Wedding. The pair browsed the collection including a look at the cake. Most of this was the actual cake from the wedding, and one side had a piece missing from where William and Kate cut their slice! The top three tiers were, however, new.  Fiona Cairns made them specifically for the presentation, because William and Kate kept the first two tiers, and the third was served to the guests at their wedding.  



Of course, they also viewed the wedding dress of the decade, which was the real McCoy. The box to the right held some of Kate's accessories, including a replica of her bridal bouquet, made of fake flowers for the exhibit. You might recall that the Queen found the presentation of the headless gown to be "creepy." What I want to know is, what did Prince Philip think:


Kate was gorgeous in a simple, pale shift dress from Joseph and her Asprey button pendant, Tiffany "Diamonds by the Yard" bracelet, faux-diamond drops from Heavenly Necklaces, and her Jimmy Choo "Lovely" pumps. It was chic and sophisticated.



Two years later, she was celebrating one of the most pivotal moments of her life--motherhood--and four years later she has a second precious little baby to add to her royal family. Congrats to Kate and William as they celebrate George and new life!






40 comments:

  1. Great recap of Gorgeous George's brief two years on this earth. Loved your comments and the recap of the four years ago today. Every photo is adorable and I think KP got it right by holding back a favorite for release on his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a smart move! I was very pleased they had a special shot to allow us to celebrate!

      Delete
  2. Sonja from BavariaJuly 22, 2015 at 2:46 AM

    The new picture of George is really cute and I love that the Palace shows more pictures of him now. He looks so happy and full of energy - a typical toddler. I'm sure Kate has picked up many toys and wrapped them up beautifully so that a certain little boy can start the day of his birthday with opening presents.

    I wonder if George's godparents will also be at Anmer Hall today to celebrate ? Last year, they were (at least Emilia Jardine-Paterson and Zara Tindall if I recall correctly, but I'm not sure about the others...) It would surely be great fun for George to play with Emilia's son Leo - a 2yearold needs other kids around him to play :)

    All these pictures you've picked are goregous - especially the ones from New Zealand or the polo matches. I absolutely love the way Kate dresses George and I'm looking forward to seeing ehat Charlotte will wear in the future.

    Happy birthday to Prince George, what a happy day for William and Kate who will undoubtedly make this a great and very special day for their beloved son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a party at Anmer Hall! I will try to cover what I can in the next post! :)

      Delete
  3. Carmen, The NetherlandsJuly 22, 2015 at 2:48 AM

    Lovely post! The look on George's face when they leave the plane in Australia still cracks me up. So unimpressed and slightly bored :D Hilarous if you ask me!
    Happy birthday Georgie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think that was also our first real taste of his facial expressions. :) He just took the world by storm that afternoon. Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures and great comments--George has such an expressive face.
    Seems impossible that it is two years since we were all chewing our fingernails waiting for his birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time really has flown. It's incredible.
      Whenever I see Kate at a sports match I think, that's where George gets it!

      Delete
  5. I think William and Catherine choose the picture from the christening because they liked it. And it proves one thing he isn't always grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are probably right. It is very natural and brimming with his energy. To be fair to George, he has smiled many times, but I think you are right that his grumpy faces stick in the public imagination more.

      Delete
  6. Faith from BostonJuly 22, 2015 at 6:01 AM

    Well, that's the cutest post I have ever seen! Adorable new photo even though I'm still upset over the overall quality of the Testino pictures. I'm excited for Sunday. Thrilled we get to see her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of photographers were very down on the Testino shots. It is odd how overexposed this picture was, but as you say, I loved it anyway. :)
      I am so stoked for Sunday!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday little man. Thanks for sharing your cute little self with us. And thank you Jane. A wonderful look at his funny faces these past two years. Evidence of a happy, healthy little prince of a boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Jane (in Canada ;))!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the hilarious captions--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so glad you thought they were funny. That's always sort of a nail biter. ;)

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday, George! May you continue to wear your feelings on your face--makes it so much fun to look at you, and so much easier to relate to you. Hope you're enjoying your big day, and hope someone had the foresight to give you your very own swing set, complete with slide and sandbox. Especially the sandbox! You could get really down and dirty with the last, particularly if you find a handy water source--Lupo slobbers, doesn't he?

    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeew! :) Haha, I loved the sandbox when I was little. I hope Georgie has one, and that Kate puts him in something that can be absolutely ruined when he goes to play in it!

      Delete
  10. Jane thank you for this great post. George is such a beautiful little boy. Kate and William ate great parents. Their love for one another shined through their children. George could not he a happy boy if his parent were not.
    Loved all the photos and your take on them.
    I just wish we had a photo of William holding his little princess. I have not seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am holding out for that photo, too, but it will come. It will be nice when she is a little bigger than she is now, and maybe dressed up with bows, etc. :)

      Delete
  11. This summer birthday reminds me of another one, when these lines formed in my mind:

    "The day he turned two
    My Grandson
    Looked at all the lawnchair laps
    And wanted mine."

    I wish Carole Middleton as many happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful lines to capture a moment in time! Thanks for sharing that :-)

      Delete
    2. Such a perfect expression of a special love, and a lovely wish for Grandma Middleton. Thank you, Kaye. What a lucky grandson!

      Delete
    3. :) Very sweet! In the pictures from the christening, George is looking back at Carole on multiple occasions. It is very clear he has a close bond with her. I LOVE it!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the photo round up! George is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping in and reading!

      Delete
  13. Jane:

    Awesome blog and a lovely write-up celebrating little Prince George's birthday. I laughed out loud at the captions--much more hilarious than "Buzzfeed", in my opinion.

    To me the last four years as an outsider looking the Cambridge's since their wedding--it is just been magical. Of course, we know that life is not without it's disappointments, ups-and-downs, however; the events that we were privy to, taken as a whole does make for a magical time. Together they exude happiness--it's been palpable especially since the arrival of the babies.

    Happy Birthday Prince George!

    Once again, thanks for a great blog.

    Sincerely,

    Royalwatcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I read your comment I had to run over and read BuzzFeed. :) Thank you, very glad you enjoyed the post!!
      I agree, obviously they must have their moments, but on the whole, they seem entirely charmed. It's a delight to royal watch these (now) four.

      Delete
  14. Great post per usual Jane!

    Happy Birthday Prince George!


    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  15. The "Express" on line is reporting that George had a party for about a dozen little friends and the Duke of Edinburgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard this too! Nice of Philip to make an appearance at an informal children's party! I'm sure Kate snapped some photos that will be cherished in their personal collection.

      I heard that the children all arrived in Range Rovers. Perhaps they are local children George has befriended, but were they all picked up (with their parents) from one point for security reasons? As opposed to having a dozen parents in a dozen cars arriving at the home of future monarchs? I think it could be wise, while still allowing George to interact with "normal" children.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there was a birthday bash at Anmer. I will try and cover it in the next post!

      Delete
  16. Great post as usual, Jane!
    That little boy is so cute! Happy birthday, George!
    Who's he taking after now, looks-wise, do you all think? The newest photo makes me see more Kate, but the tumbling photos look very William. Hmm?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja from BavariaJuly 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM

      Well, I think George looks a lot like Michael Middleton (and kate, but more like her father), but I sometimes see something of William in him, too.
      But his eye colour is definitely from Kate/her side of the family.

      Delete
    2. I still see a lot of Pippa in George, so I continue to think that the Middleton genes are quite strong. I did catch hints of William though, in this shot. He is a lovely blend, to me.

      Delete
  17. From what I remember from having visited the exhibition, the cake did not have one slice missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja from BavariaJuly 24, 2015 at 2:03 PM

      I think I read somewhere that they replaced it/made a replica of the missing slice of cake for the exhibition :)

      Delete
  18. No, not a missing slice of cake, one tier of the cake was eaten, a replica was made of the missing tier. I visited the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There was a crack in the icing of the bottom tier, where William had cut the cake (for a wedding photographer(?), William may have used a ceremonial sword to do this) Kate pointed this out to the Queen in the video footage.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!