Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Recycles Tory Burch for World Mental Health Day at Mind in Harrow

Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge marked World Mental Health Day with a visit to Harrow College in London. They were attending an event hosted by Mind, a charity that works to improve support for those suffering from mental health problems. 



Part of their visit included meeting with students involved in the "Time to Change" initiative, which is an anti-stigma campaign produced by Mind and Rethink Mental Illness. The Time to Change website explains a little about the program:
Our young Champions have been central to our children and young people’s campaign, and have delivered training in schools so that staff and students get to hear people’s real life stories. The young Champions also helped create materials for secondary schools to use to run their own Time to Change campaign.
The couple also sat down and learned from students using a program called "mind kit" which features puzzles and games that "work-out" the brain.



Kate has really been focusing on mental health this fall. Her press office announced she would dedicate the majority of her autumn calendar to it, and the word on the street, via People, is she will travel to Dundee in Scotland later this month. William and Kate both spent time meeting students and adults working to improve mental health. Nina Massay of PA took this snap of William chatting with a basketball coach about the positive effects of the sport:

@NinaMasseyPA Twitter

Kate recycled a dress that I think was a hit when she debuted it? Was the consensus split on this? I very much liked the Tory Burch Paulina. Kate first wore it to the Plunket Playdate with George in New Zealand. The focus was very much on the baby prince at the time, but I thought the dress was very flattering on the Duchess.


One of you lovely readers pointed out that we never got a very clear view of the dress when she wore it in NZ, and wholeheartedly agree. It is just as pretty or more so! I am particular nothing the two pleats in the front. This is a very flattering dress on Kate. 



Kate was at the Anna Freud Centre last month, which was also an event highlighting mental health. I think it is interesting that for both that engagement and this one, Kate chose to wear black and white patterned dresses. For some reason, it seems like a perfect choice...


Once again, Kate's fringe/bangs are gorgeous. I really like this look on her right now. They have grown out just a hair or two, and are more flattering than ever. Despite wearing her hair in her signature long waves, we still got a glimpse of the new pair of earrings Kate was sporting!



They are from Kiki McDonough's Lauren collection. Launched earlier this summer, the collection features this leaf motif to celebrate British ballerina Lauren Cuthbertson and her role as Alice in Alice in Wonderland.  They are 18t gold and studded with little diamonds. Whether Kate bought them, or whether they were a gift, these little dangles cost somebody £1,400!

Kiki McDonough's Lauren Leaf Earrings
The Duchess carried one of her favorite clutches, the Mulberry Bayswater. It is pictured below as it was released to the public, but Kate had hers customized in suede. She carries it often. She wore her Stuart Weitzman "Power" pumps--again, old faithfuls for her. 

William and Kate were their usual charming selves. I am perfectly content to see Kate do solo engagements, but is a nice treat when they are together. Their combined energy certainly gives an event a special edge, and their joy in each other is infectious.  


Verdict: Big win. This is such a feminine and flattering dress, its fun and interesting, without overwhelming the scene and the focus. Kate's hair was perfect and she added a fun edge by debuting those earrings. Such a great Royal Recycle! Oddly, perhaps, this was my favorite photo. Kate looks so gorgeous, her eyes are sparkling and she looks natural and full of fun. Just the way I imagine her at home with her family:



Please note that William and Kate ARE at the Wales rugby game. Kate is in her Reiss Delaney coat and what I think are her Rumbas, but will have to wait for better picture. Best photo can be seen here. I have to pop off to some other things, but I will be back tonight with a chilled glass of champagne and that update. Join me then! ;) 

30 comments:

  1. Is it me or since she came back, she's wearing many black and dado outfits???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the colour we wear reflects our mood. In pics she seems oldish and tired.

      Delete
    2. Black & white prints, like these, make an outfit "easy" to wear. They could also be good optical illusions if she is still feeling self-conscience of her post-baby #2 body (although I think she looks really slim!). She might find it easier to work with these two colors in a pattern, as opposed to accessorizing with color, etc. Either way, she looks good!

      Delete
    3. Black and white is timeless and classic and, based on the photos, it has nothing to do with her mood.

      Delete
    4. Yeap, when you have a bunch of smiling photos....

      Delete
  2. Sonja from BavariaOctober 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM

    Many people will disagree, but I LOVE Kate's fringe! Her hhir was just perfect today.
    And has anyone else noticed that her eye makeup was more natural today? I thought that she used less eyeliner and her eye makep was in soft brown/nude shades. To be honest, I much prefer this more natural eye makeup over the darker one (just my opinion).

    Onto the dress: I loved it when she wore it in NZ, and I loved it today. The dress is gorgeous, I wish it hadn't sold out (and would've been cheaper!). It really highlighted her really slim waist. It was great that she recyxled today so that the focus was a bit more on the serious issue of the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like her fringe the first few times we saw it...now that it's a little longer I'm a fan!

      Delete
  3. Love this dress--glad we were able to get a proper look at it.
    There was a report on Sky News this morning that the Duke and Duchess and Prince Harry had carried out some private visits to learn more about Mental Health and would be carrying out more in the next few weeks. Glad they are taking such an interest in an important subject, ignored for too long.
    The outfit at the rugby was great too and her facial expressions amusing as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous & fresh. Love this dress. You're right Jane- her eyes are sparkling, skin dewy. A bit hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great repeat! This dress is so cute! But also professional. I look forward to the banter re: the rugby game coat;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I thought the same thing. I think most of us severely disliked her outfit when she first wore that jacket. For some reason, today I found it a bit more palatable.

      Delete
    2. Customized a clutch?! Seems a bit ridiculous, but if you are given the option, why not, I guess.

      Today is the first time I liked her fringe/bangs, and I really like that dress and it works well on her.

      Based on two "new" pairs of earrings she has recently debuted, it becomes more clear that she is drawn to organic jewelry designs.

      Delete
  6. She looks lovely. So glad to get a better look at this gorgeous dress. Love the more natural looking eye makeup as well. Does she have a new PPO (visible in the first pic)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. She did not wear the uniform to the rugby game. Jeans! Boots! Big purse! Holy moly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That *is* a great picture of Kate (the link at the end of this post). I like the jacket more today than the first time around. Perhaps it was the wedge boots and the navy pants...? This was a more sophisticated look, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a really great picture, actually :-) Yeah, I think the former wear just had every element working against it. Probably, that is my most disliked Kate outfit ever. This wear was great, hoFaithwever.

      Delete
    2. And that's what happens when you blog and feed the kiddos at the same time :-)

      Delete
  9. Okay so on the first wearing I was so-so on this dress. But today I really liked it. Mind you we did get a better look at it today and I agree with whoever said that it shows off her tiny waist. I think dresses like this that have a bit of personality and young fresh detailing like the fringe are good for Kate. Since she goes so basic and monotone with her accessories I think it is good for the garmet to have some personality on it's own.

    Outside of the fashion what really struck me today was how much she seemed to take the lead on this engagement and William seemed to be more the supporting player. (and bless his heart for doing so!) He has had a lifetime of advice from him Mom, his Dad and his Grandmother on how to handle these engagements. Kate has not. And yet she seems confident and vibrant and clearly has the ability to connect with the people she meets. Not as easy as it looks.

    I also love seeing them doing these events as a couple. Not withstanding that they are so darn cute together, I think it is healthy for their relationship to be able to share a common cause.

    Great work by both of them today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, the fringe is getting in the duchess 's eyes and hiding her beautiful face. As a person in a public position, a leader, she should have her hair out of way, this will help her come across as more open and sincere.
    The dress is fantastic and so is her figure. D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still don't like this cut on her. It blows across her face or hangs over the one eye like a pirate's patch. Today, it had a life of its own and was puffing up while the rest of her hair was staying flat. I miss the hair of 2011-2013. It was stellar.

      Delete
  11. Her fringe doesn't always blend well into her hair, it sort of sits in a strange bump at times. Not my favorite styling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Her clothes do look a bit bland and her style is becoming a little 'tedious'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She looks so gorgeous!! It's not a dress I would wear but she rocks it and looks so happy and beautiful. Her makeup and hair are an inspiration. HOWEVER - and I wish I could let it slide but I can't - yuck on those earrings. They look like something that would come free in a jewelry set for a third grader, not something a duchess would spend more than $3k on (now that they've been confirmed by the jeweler to be the most expensive sort). Too cutesy! I hope we don't see these often. They're topping my list of least fave jewelry ever :( Still love you though, Kate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fresh (well, not really fresh) off the plane from a week in London and had to come here to see what photos of Kate were chosen to show off her fashion! I have to say that I did not like this Tory Burch dress the first time Kate wore it but on this wearing I actually love it! I agree that the details make all the difference and we just couldn't see them before. When I first saw those earrings they didn't look great in the photos. With your close up of them, however, they are lovely. As always with these two, their sweet relationship outshines the fashion. I don't think they could be any more adorable!

    I noticed something very interesting in London this time. When Diana was on the scene you could find dozens of different photographs of her that had been made into postcards. The only postcards of Kate are those that have been released as official photographs and not even all of those. I found this sort of strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I just welcomed you back in another post. :) Regarding the postcards...interesting...I do wonder what may be behind it.

      You reminded me of an observation I made shortly after Diana's death... I was sad to see that in gift shops at BP, KP, Windsor Castle, etc. items related to her (books, videos, postcards, etc.) were nowhere to be found, in comparison to prior visits. The mother of a future king.

      Delete
    2. I noticed that too, royalfan. It was pretty glaring. Now, it's a completely different thing and I credit the popularity of William & Kate and Harry for it. There is a fashion display at Kensington and the dresses belonged to the Queen, Princess Margaret, and Diana. In the gift shop there aren't any postcards of Diana but there is a new line of porcelain keepsakes in pink and white and trimmed in platinum with Diana's silhouette on them. There is also Christmas ornament that is heart shaped (as in the queen of people's hearts) in the same colors with her "D" insignia on one side. In the entry to the palace itself, after the pay point, there are large photos of the palaces most famous residents: Queen Victoria, Princess Margaret, William & Kate holding George on his Christening day, and the largest one by far is one of Testino's photos of Diana. I was very happy to see these tributes. I also noticed that the Diana, Princess of Wales, Memorial Fountain was officially opened by The Queen. Again, I attribute this to William and Harry now being old enough and influential enough to encourage the BRF to treat her better in death than they did in life.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for sharing that, Robin. I just took a look at the Historic Royal Palaces gift shop website and was able to see the items you referred to; the porcelain, in particular, is lovely.

      And I do agree with your statement regarding William and Harry's age and influence. Amen.

      Delete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!