Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Wears Tabitha Webb to "Shaun the Sheep" Charities Forum Morning

Monday, October 26, 2015

I know you want to jump straight into the Spectre premiere, so do I, but we can't short-change this morning's very cute event. The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince Harry were at BAFTA in London earlier for an event sponsored by their Charities Forum. I was not able to follow the event live, so when I finally sat down and began to sift through the pictures, I came across this one and I thought, "what in the world went on today?!" Lots of laughter and fun, that's what. 



The theme of the morning was Shaun the Sheep, an animated children's series that is currently being made into a movie. I can't say I am an expert on the genre or the particular show, but I (now) know this it is quite popular, and apparently Prince George is a fan. Children from various royal charities came together for the fun-filled morning, which included watching a 30-minute short of an upcoming Shaun the Sheep episode?? I'll be totally honest with you...I didn't do a lot of research on Shaun the Sheep. Honesty is the best policy, they say. I can give my input on this photo. William is thinking: "Part of my job is to watch a 30-minute Shaun the Sheep short. The places life will take you." Kate is thinking about how she'll give George the insider's preview of his favorite program. Harry is thinking about...which cufflinks he'll wear to the Bond premiere. 



Treats, games, and creative play were part of the morning. I thought this was a fun video of the royal trio trying to knock the farmer's head off with a wellie. Guess who wins?

>

They had fun. :)


Among other things, the Duchess made a short little video using green-screen technology. 

Kensington Palace released the video and you can watch it here:





Ok, on to fashion... Kate debuted a new dress! I know there has been a lot of talk about her new pieces recently, and I actually have some comments to make on it, but I have decided to save it for another post, both because I very frankly don't have enough time at this exact moment, but I also believe it merits its own post. Look for that next week. For the moment, this is a new dress from Tabitha Webb, and I am a big fan!



You are already familiar with Tabitha Webb, even if you don't know it. Most prominently, Pippa collaborated with the designer to do a scarf and a dress in aid of the British Heart Foundation. When the pictures were released of Pips modeling the pieces, the below really caught my eye. I thought at the time, and I maintain still that I it is the most beautiful photos of Pippa I have ever seen. I truly loved it. I love her smile, her natural and unassuming pose, the styling of the scarf with the shirt. She was picture perfect. 


Kate has (sort of) worn Tabitha Webb before. Project D is a label created by Tabitha Webb and Danni Minogue and the Duchess wore one of their dresses for her trip to SouthEast Asia. Nevertheless, I think distinctions should be made between labels, and this is a designer debut for Kate! 



I really liked today's dress. It was in the style of some of the Suzannah dresses Kate and Pippa have worn. I would not usually be drawn to this pattern, it is a little too eclectic for me, but perhaps because this event was centered around children and learning, it felt appropriate to me. It certainly was in Kate's color scheme of blue and black. If I had my druthers, I would order it up in another color, but it worked.  

In every other respect, it is absolutely lovely. Made from 100% silk with Kate's favorite 3/4 length sleeves and and a fitted bodice, it was perfectly flattering on the Duchess.  She paired the dress with black suede pumps by Jimmy Choo, her black suede Bayswater clutch, and her sapphire and diamond drops. I know some of you have been less than pleased with Kate's penchant for suede, but I have to admit I love suede. I thought this was a lovely ensemble. 

We don't give a lot of love to the Duke. This photo was particularly charming, and I wanted to share it. In fact, I am instituting a new element of each post where we will highlight the best/cutest,most handsome, yadayada picture of William. This won out for the inaugural post:



Final verdict. Kate looked lovely. I loved the way she had parted her hair, I loved the longer length of this dress which added just a touch of vintage to a modern print, and of course, I loved the implicit support of her sister. Pippa close collaboration with Tabitha Webb probably steered Kate in this direction, and she knew we would all make the connection. I love the family loyalty!



Certainly not to short-change this ensemble, but it feels like the appetizer to the Spectre main course. I can't wait to get to that post and it is up next. I promise I will do it tonight, but it will be some...hours. Sorry, this kid has to study Torts before tackling Spectre. Some of you might need to check in tomorrow, but for the night owls...it is coming.



26 comments:

  1. It seems that opinion was split on this outfit but I like it a lot! She looks fab in the dress. I wouldn't necessarily buy it off the rack if I wondered by but it's theme-appropriate, a new take on her classic look, and supportive of her sister. Definitely a win. I feel like people often want her to branch out and, in my eyes, she definitely has this week! It's making up for that loooooong drought.

    Also the activities could not have been any cuter. That little boy with William is managing to be even cuter than the Duke himself and that tiny silly sheep. Too bad it's overshadowed by Bond because this was downright adorable and fun to watch. I don't think I've ever seen her laughing more at any event??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane. Thank you for taking time out of your study time yo bring us your great post. I know what you are going through.
    I thought this morning engagement was great. Kate looked just stunning. And they looked like they were having a great time with the kids. Loved the one photo showing Kate hugging the little girls. Those three always have do much fun when they are together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane sorry for the double comment. My iPad froze.
    I just wanted to say that their engagement was out of this world. Kate never looked more beautiful then she did tonight. William and Harry looked handsome too. Again the looks they give each other just makes me smile.

    Also what is your opinion of the photos being posted of Kate and George when they were out together last week? I just don't know why people can't respect their wishes for privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely look-liked the dress with the print that worked well for both the craft work as well as the forum meeting. The trio looked like they had a great time today-it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post, Jane! Looks like a fun engagement for all involved. The dress was pretty, functional, and appropriate for the occasion. She always looks pretty. And it's fun to see her in action and enjoying herself along with William and Harry. Looking forward to tonight's (or tomorrow's) post on the Spectre premier. Happy studying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the dress was appropriate (fun and colorful) for the engagement, but perhaps a ponytail would have been a nice touch. (There's a lot going on with the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I totally agree about this being a great photo of Pippa. I don't recall seeing a nicer one; she looks lovely.

      Delete
  7. At first I wasn't a big fan, but the more photos I saw the more I liked it. Yay for black pumps (not blue)! She looked lovely, they all looked like they had fun;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw the video of this BAFTA event this morning I was completely taken with how Kate dressed so appropriately for interacting and doing activities with children. The bright print and the "workability" of the dress in length and fullness that allowed her to bend over or stoop down was perfect! The video of the little girls running up to give her a hug was precious. The three of them do seem to have such a great deal of fun together! I'm also happy that you've chosen to do a focus picture on William each time. After all, this is a blog about Kate's style and he is her best accessory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her best accessory indeed! :)

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to dish on the Spectre premier!

      Delete
    3. I agree with you Robin. This dress was perfect for the event. The style allowed her to fully participate in all the activities and print was vibrant and fun. Would I buy it for myself...no. But I always try and separate my personal taste from my "fashion judgement". And from a pure fashion perspective (or at least mine!!) it works. The suede pumps were a great match...grounded the print. In fact I felt th "men" in their suits seemed a little over dressed in comparison. I understand there was a business meeting as part of this but when they were with the kids couldn't they have lost the jackets and rolled up the sleeves?

      But I again agree with Robin, that the real win was how engaged with the kids Kate was. She was totally in too everything. I think her personality truly shone today.

      Delete
  9. I like this dress- she definitely likes blue and black prints though! If the Whistles dress from the Diamond Jubilee Concert of 2012 and the Wimbledon red LK Bennett dress had a baby- this dress would be the result! Love the pictures from the engagement today- great smiles and shots of all three of them. Harry is definitely a hottie with his ginger beard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked this dress - the youthful print with the classy length and sleeves and the POCKETS! I love pockets.

    That pic of Pippa is beautiful. I agree that it's the best I've seen - so casual yet hip and the coloring and lighting and her hair styling. Very stunning.

    Also - I'm glad you posted that pic of Kate wearing the Label Project D just b/c it really contrasts with her maturity now. She looks older now - not in a bad way by any means, but in a maturity growth way. She looks lovely in the Project D picture but it is more reminiscent of her college pics and of young lady pics and now she has fully grown into her role as a lady, as the Duchess. Does that make sense? I'm rambling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very charming picture of William, even more charming of the little boy. I like your new element!

    So the dress- I like the print a lot. Nice to have an abstract rather than a floral. Nice to have a print rather than a solid. Nice to have a dress rather than a coatdress. However, I don't find the style of the dress all that exciting. The waist sits high on her and the length is not flattering. Overall, a matronly style imo. The heels and the pattern of the material save the dress from apperaing completely frumpy.

    Jane, will you be publishing the photo of Kate and George at the museum? I know there was a big bruhaha the last time but its a beautiful photo and they are in a public place. Im interested in what earrings she is wearing. I can't quite tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Plus while I know there's many who prefer or seek longer hemlines on the Duchess, I just find the longer length dowdy, it just ages her...in my opinion. No matter, I find the exuberance and laughter so engaging.

      Delete
    2. They were in a public place and I'm sure they knew photos were being taken. The photo is adorable and little Prince George is getting quite handsome!

      Delete
  12. I, too, liked this outfit; the dress print was colourful and cheerful, the length was good, the lines flattering. I even liked her suede shoes. (My main beef with suede has less to do with the look and more to do with how easily they can be ruined by rain, puddles, etc., not to mention how difficult they can be to restore, once scuffed, or worn overlong. These problems can be circumvented by having some quality smooth leather footwear, to be worn in iffy weather conditions--they can be easily waterproofed and scuff marks can be concealed with polish.) The shoes Kate wore today appeared to be in good shape, unlike, for example, a pair of brown suede ankle boots Kate wore well past their prime. Anyone remember these?

    Regarding this inaugural pic of William, hmmm....Bet he was thinking along these lines: Don't laugh; DO NOT LAUGH!! That little boy sitting next to me is obviously keen on Shaun the Sheep; he would be offended. He wouldn't understand how silly I feel sitting here constructing a clay sheep.

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  13. at first I don't like the dress but when scroll more I think its good and youthful gives me energy and good vibe I love that you post pic the duchess and prince George the museum s getting handsome and growing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carmen, The NetherlandsOctober 27, 2015 at 1:50 AM

    That picture of Kate and Harry is so charming and fun! I am sure they all enjoyed themselves.
    I have to say that I don't love the dress. Sure, she looks great in it but she looks great in everything. I can't really put my finger on it but it's something about the print combined with the lenght of the dress that bothers me. I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would have liked a ponytail and different shoes with this dress. Otherwise... I wouldn't wear it and I think it makes the waist look thick, but she can wear almost everything and she is really slim so.. no damage here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a ponytail would have been perfect! I'll be she repeats this dress some time and wears it with a ponytail, just like she did with the black and white dalmatian print dress. Fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  16. I love that Kate once again went with a new designer, I love the dress, the print is fun and makes the long silhouette looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Jane, spot on as always. At first glance I did not like the dress because of the pattern. But when I got closer and saw the silk, the cut of the dress, the pockets! I fell in love with it. It is the perfect choice for a children's venue, both fun and classic, and a bit modern. I laugh at myself when I first question Kate's choices (the aubergine D & G) because I almost always come around in the end. The Duchess is still leading the way in fashion, it's about being appropriate, but forward thinking too. She is radiant, as always. And the fun the three of them have, it's just lovely. Thank you for giving Wills his props, he is a stunning prince, as is Harry, both so tall and slender and very poised for their ages. William is the perfect future King of England, Harry is the perfect handsome bearded prince, and Kate...well, she is sublime as we all know. So happy for all of them, it's a new era for the monarchy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sonja from BavariaOctober 27, 2015 at 5:17 PM

    The photo of the children hugging Kate is so cute! It's so great to see Kate at events with kids, she is great with them.

    Kate seemed to be realky happy, funny and in a good moid today. But, how couldn't she with both William and Harry accompanying her? ;)

    I like the dress, but I'm not in love with it. From sime angles, tje longer skirt really adds the 'vintage' touch you mentioned, but in most pics, I think the dress would look way better with a shorter skirt.
    And that photo of pippa is really beautiful!

    Do you think William thinks Kate looks the prettiest in blue? Because I've noticed that she often (of course not always, but often) wears blue for joint engagements...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate and Harry are so cute! They have such great chemistry. I love to see them laugh together. I feel like maybe she can be more lighthearted and fun with him, as opposed to when she's with William. They keep is so sterile when they're together, but with Harry there, she just lights up.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!