Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Did Carole Middleton Buy Princess Charlotte's Ensemble?

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Every grandmother loves to shop for her grandchildren, but when you are the grandmother of the most prominent little royals in the world, your purchases can get a little more attention than usual.  I received an anonymous tip that Carole had purchased the dress for Charlotte, in which case E! might have had a bigger exclusive than they thought:



Carole was spotted shopping at Trotters in beginning of October. E! ran an article about it at the time, noting:
Carole traveled to Kings Road where she stopped in a variety of kid-friendly stores including Trotters Childrenswear. While her final purchases remain a mystery, we couldn't help but spy Carole checking out the sweaters and dresses near the front of the store. She would later leave with a large shopping bag from the family-owned business that promises "top to toe" fashion for children.
I remember thinking we'd never get to see the sweet little ensembles she has chosen, but that might not be the case! Carole can be seen in this picture from E! perusing the merchandise, and right at the bottom left of the screen you can see what some think is Charlotte's darling little dress.


I think it looks close, but I do not think it is a match for two reasons.


The first is that Charlotte's dress appears to be a single unit. The ruffle of the collar has the same piping as the pattern of the dress, so I think it is attached rather than a separate blouse:


Secondly, and this is a little harder to tell, I think this is a brighter print than the Trotters dress:

Charlotte's print
I do, however, think that the dress is similar enough to other pieces in the store (and online) that it could very well be from Trotters, although I have not found anything online that matches. I know many of you out there have very sharp eyes for fashion, so if you think you have a tip, fill me in! I know that the ladies over at Prince George's Pieces are working hard on this, too. Emily Andrews seems to have correctly IDed the stuffed animal, at least. It is a Jellycat Fuddlewuddle Puppy. 




I have several friends who have had baby girls recently, so I would love some direction on royal baby clothes to get them started on the right path. :) Hopefully the Kate community can solve the mystery. If you are just tuning in today, pop by the earlier post featuring the newly released photos of Princess Charlotte compliments of TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. 

22 comments:

  1. If this is true (and it certainly looks that way!), then I think it's a lovely way for Kate to include her mother in the process as the children's milestones are documented for history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cqrole is a cute grandma - George and Charlotte are lucky to have her. And Kate and Carole must be so hapoy that they can shop for a girl now! I ?mean, of course you can buy cute clothes for boys and I love the clothes Kate has picked for George, but who could resist shopping for those gorgeous tiny pink dresses, ruffles and what not? ;) I'm curious about the ID of Charlotte's sweet dress.. my littld cousin wore a similar dress when she was Charlottes age, but not the same dress (I think it was either by Benetton or S.Oliver)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, here is a link to some classic baby girl dresses similar to what Charlotte is wearing. My favorite - Baby Dior. It's what I dressed my daughter in *and* they have a Royal Warrant! Perfect for a little princess and perfect for baby gifts!

    http://www.childrensalon.com/baby/dresses?cat=490

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kind of makes me want to chuck law school finals and go start a family. I kid. "To everything there is a season..." ;) I will content myself with shopping for other people's babies. These are gorgeous--I need to forward to Kate and Carole pronto.

      Delete
    2. All good things come in their time. In the meantime your friends will benefit from your sense of style!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jane! bild.de says the dress is Alexander mcqueen. Best wishes, marlies
    http://m.bild.de/unterhaltung/royals/catherine-mountbatten-windsor/diese-fotos-hat-mama-kate-gemacht-43595702.bildMobile.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find anything online that indicates Alexander McQueen has a children's clothing line. Even on the really high end Neiman Marcus/Harrods/Bergdorf sites. I looked at Dolce & Gabbana's baby girl dresses (so adorable) and Stella McCartney's line (not cute at all) and the dress isn't there. Kate is playing an awesome game of "stump the viewers" this time around! Well played, Duchess, well played.

      Delete
  5. If you look below the dress that is pictured prominently, the next dress down has a white, ruffled collar. Secondly, Carole is very clearly holding a pale pink cardigan on a hanger that looks like what Princess Charlotte is wearing. I think we saw her buying the whole ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I should have circle it. I was considering the lowest dress...with the ruffle collar. I don't see the piping along the collar, and I do see a kind of prominent looking stripe along the waste that Charlotte's dress is missing. Without better pictures it is hard to say, but I don't think that is the exact dress. I DO agree that it is likely this was the store and occasion that Carole bought the ensemble...just that the actual dress didn't make it into the frame. But, without better pictures, I would not want to say for sure! That could be the dress. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree the details of the lower dress are not 100% now that I am looking on my laptop and not my phone (when I really should be studying, but I can't resist your blog). Carole is looking up in the photo. Perhaps our mystery dress is above and out of the frame? :D

      Delete
  6. The more I look at the photos the more I see William in Charlottes face. Hmmm like most babys will be many years before we know:) Either way she is a cute child and love her cute dress and sweater. One site mentioned a brand name for the tights but have no idea how that could be discerned. ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think amaia kids posted that Charlotte was wearing their pink tights but I can't believe that - I mean all tights look so similar/almost equal and it must be impossible to ID them...

      Delete
  7. Thanks wondered were it originated. Agree with you doubt they can really know:) ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless they know that Kate ordered them or that someone from her circle was in to buy them. That's happened before but otherwise I agree, tough to tell .

      Delete
  8. Little English clothing posted on their Instagram in such a way that implies she is wearing their blouse. It may be worth checking out-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe the ruffle is part of the dress not a separate blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a blog that is stating the dress is from Irulea. The same place that carries the outfit that Charlotte went home from hospital wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ruffle is definitely part of the dress and not a blouse. It's not Little English (although they have darling clothes) and it's not Irulea (ditto on the cute factor). I love baby clothes so this search is really fun for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why should a Grandma buy kids clothes. Especially as for Kate it is much more "complicated" to come to London and do shopping on her own. Probably she gave her mother kind of a shopping list and pre screened the internet... My mom would have done that for me and I would have trusted her fashion choice. I always consider that in terms of fashion the two are alwaye close. Look at the kind of black and white chino - Kate has a similar one as well. I feel that probably the dress on the very left low corner is the one...
    To be honest, I hope that Charlotte is allowed to wear more comfortable clothes and trousers for her starting everyday activities and not making her a "sweet doll" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mystery solved with Charlotte's dress - another Spanish kiddie designer :)

    http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20395222_20970538,00.html?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one! Very sweet dress with that classic style. Carole or Nanny Maria have excellent taste in children's clothes! As to Anon2:06 question - Grandmas buy clothes because it is our pleasure and our joy. Little girls who are Charlotte's age are more comfortable in little dresses and it is far more convenient to change them when needed. My daughter didn't want to have anything to do with wearing pants until she was in 5th grade. My granddaughter, at 3 years old, only wants to wear dresses. I'm sure Kate and Carole will have her outfitted to perfection for each occasion.

      Delete
  14. hmm I love the grandma carole doing the that for her daughter the duchess is truly blessed to have carole as a grandma I also think that she buy charlotte dress too

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!