Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Duchess Plays Cricket in Mumbai and Visits the Banganga Water Tank

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The couple had time to catch their breath at the Taj Palace Hotel before a slew of events scheduled for the afternoon. It was expected that Kate would change, and she did not disappoint, switching into a pastel tunic dress by Mumbai designer Anita Dongre.



The couple were pictured waving to fans as they were whisked off to the Maidan Oval Cricket ground. The couple were greeted by local children who are members Magic Bus, a youth program that tries to help children rise out of poverty through mentoring and confidence program that produce adults confident young adults prepared to move into better jobs and better opportunities. It is a very sport-based program and an ideal charity for William and Kate to highlight.



This event was very reminiscent of the UNICEF program Kate took part in while in Scotland for the Commonwealth Games. There was hopping and jumping and running and laughing.



Kate is such an incredibly good sport. How she manages to dash about under the hot Indian sun, in wedges, and still look glamorous is really a mystery. This is a cute video of her playing a game with the children. You can see William is also taking part, he is on the left tossing balls back and forth.



The other celebrity on the field was Sachin Tendulkar, who is apparently one of the foremost cricket players in the world, and some believe the best batsman of all time. He gave Kate a good report card, according to several royal reporters on the ground, who said that Tendulkar said Kate was very sporty and played well.

UK in India


Two other children's charities were represented at the cricket event, Doorstep School and India Childline. They had set up tents along the side of the field and the Duke and Duchess were able to visit with representatives and children. That seems like a pretty smart set-up!



Wills & Kate got the authentic tour experience on their way to their next destination. they took an open-topped bus through Mumbai with children from yet another charity, Apnalya.

Kensington Palace Twitter Feed
Kate seemed to flag just a little on the bus, which would make sense. Fatigue of travel, sudden exertion on the cricket field would leave you thankful for a little break. This was a good transition allowing both royals to meet with kids, highlight a charity, see the city, and take a breath:


They all appeared to be in very high sprits despite the busy day:



The couple made their way to the Banganga Water Tank, which is a spring fed ...water tank that is part of a Hindu temple complex. Located around the highest point in Mumbai, Banganga was built in 1127 A.D., again in the 18th century, and has had significant repairs in the modern era. It remains a cultural gathering place with rich history for the Indian people.



This was my favorite event of the day. 


The ancient and historic location, the steps on four sides, the dichotomy between the worn, beige steps and Kate's soft, pastel dress, and the two royals releasing little leafs boats filled with petals:


The couple visited with local families who live near the water tank: 

Eliot Wagland Twitter
Notice the woman to the right of Kate and how well Kate's print coordinates? We will talk about the dress briefly, but I want to draw you attention to it while we are looking at this photo:

Eliot Wagland Twitter

Let's chat about the dress! When I caught my first glimpse, I cannot say that I was enthused. The dress has a busy pattern, but more importantly it is a very odd length, and I am just not in love with the tunic style. However, it really grew on me throughout the day and I quite like it now.



The dress is by Anita Dongre and is in a Jaipur-inspired print. It is $236. This obviously isn't something we would generally see in Kate's wardrobe, so that makes it interesting, but I also love the colors and the pattern and the flow of the dress.



The tunic style is appropriate to the region and the dress flattered Kate. It was a good length for bending down to children or at the water tank, and it looked like an airy dress that would have kept Kate cool and composed. If I could designate over, I would probably still chance that tunic top, but all in all, I think this was a big success! At $236, this dress hardly broke the bank and the earrings the Duchess debuted were even more affordable at just £8!




This ensemble bridged the Kate's cricket match appearance and the tour of the harder areas of Mumbai, so it was quite a thoughtful ensemble as well as fashionable.

If you missed this morning's beautiful McQueen dress kicking the tour off, you can see that post here. Kate is currently at the Bollywood Gala in blue Jenny P., and that post will come later this afternoon!




43 comments:

  1. I love this dress! In some pictures, Kate reminds me of Princess Mary of Denmark. This is a dress I can imagine Princess Mary in too. The dress photographs beautifully and the longer length was respectful and allowed Kate to play soccer and cricket without any wardrobe "malfunctions." I can't imagine looing so glamorous--especially while your body tries to adjust to the time difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja from BavariaApril 10, 2016 at 12:24 PM

      Yes, I noticed that, too!
      She likes to wear such flowy, almost kinda hippie-like ethno style (okay so I'm really bad at describing) long dresses for the annual summer photocalls of the Danish Royal family.

      Delete
    2. I thought of Princess Mary too! :) The dress was appropriate for the setting and engagements they had today. She needed something cool and comfortable, and this was perfect. And the length was ideal...not too long or short.

      Delete
  2. I noticed you didn't mention the brand of her shoes...is this because you don't believe they've been identified yet? WKW has them down as Monsoon Fleur wedges, and I believe they're correct. Agree?
    -TMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for a shoe ID too! I just suspect it's an incredibly busy day to be a Kate blogger, and toss in normal life, some details may take time to be updated, is my guess :-)
      ~ A

      Delete
  3. I thought the dress an odd length at first as well, and I confess I was not in love with it outside the hotel. Once I saw her on the cricket field it clicked for me. Beautiful against the green grass, light enough to be cool and long enough to not have any concerns about it billowing up inappropriately in the breeze. It was a strong, strong win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress! This is exactly what I was hoping to see Kate dressed in while in India! I love the colors, the patterns in the fabric, and the flow of the skirt. The long length and fullness of the skirt allowed her complete freedom of movement through all of the events of the afternoon. I would have left the bit at the top untied but it's a minor detail. The earrings are a perfect compliment to the style of the dress and the region and, if they aren't something Kate would repeat later, the cost is perfect. This complete outfit will sell out (if it hasn't already) quickly since it's completely affordable! W&K are certainly at their best when they are with children! I knew Jenny P. would make an appearance on this tour - one can't argue with so many successes in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonja from BavariaApril 10, 2016 at 11:32 AM

    May I point out that I love William's shoes?

    He and Kate looked pretty cool and relaxed as they played cricket - I love to see them in action doing sports - really their element.

    At first I was not quite sure about Kate's tunic dress, but it has grown on me during the past few hours... but I agree, the length is rather odd.
    And the earrings are great and so affordable!
    I have to admit that I first thought the bindi (or whatever it is called, the Indian/Hindu point) between her eyebrows was a pimple - but of course it's not. How can this woman have such a perfect skin? Kate is just so beautiful and really shining in India! Taking some risks and wearing colourful clothes is a great change.

    I admire Kate for being able to run and jump in wedges - I would probably fall or break my ankle!

    I'm looking forward to your thoughts on her Jenny P gown. Thank you for keeping us up to date during this very colourful and exotic tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Such a pretty graceful day dress that moved beautifully with her throughout the afternoon. Very pretty earrings as well. Love her choices so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite casual dress that Kate has ever worn!!! But not a fan of the shoes, actually I like the style of the shoe just not the nude color. And...why would you wear wedges if you know you'll be playing cricket and running around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because she is awesome :-) Anyone who can play volleyball in the towering Corkswoons can play cricket in these lower wedges. I certainly could not but she never seems to let higher heels cramp her style.

      Delete
    2. I think Kate really prefers to be in heels as often as possible for these types of events. We can only speculate as to why, but personally as someone who is 5'8" I feel heels give me more confidence, better posture, elongate my body (make an outfit look better), etc. Although we know she performs fabulously in wedges, maybe she likes the feeling heels give her when she knows everyone is watching and she's being photographed.
      ~ A

      Delete
    3. She's also been able to run along the beach in Australia in wedges. She is superwoman! Personally, I've have broken both of my ankles by now.

      Delete
  8. I really like this dress for the fun, breezy look we'd expect at the types of activities they're participating in today. I think our hopes for the fashion on this tour will be realized, as the Duchess has clearly put a lot of thought into every ensemble and has fully embraced the flamboyant fashion popular in India. :-D!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a day! Three gorgeous outfits and each so totally appropriate for the engagement. Catherine started well and got better as the day went on.
    The blue gown she is wearing for the dinner is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jean. Everything was wonderful! That gown she wore to dinner is so beautiful. I love that she chose one of her favorite designers and then the dress was sent to India to get the beading done. Perfect!

      Delete
  10. Something about this dress reminds me of a dress she wore to one of William's polo matches before they were married: http://www.katesclothes.com/outfit/watching-william-at-cirencester/

    It's fun to see how she "updates" her old looks to suit her new role :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch, 2:34. Kate always looked good, didn't she? :) I cannot believe this was almost 10 years ago! :)

      Delete
    2. Anon 2:34pm - it also reminded me of this dress, although today's is longer in length. This was from being a newlywed, so like you said, it is fun to see how she takes a concept and makes it work throughout 10 years and varying cultural designers.
      http://www.katesclothes.com/outfit/1018-2/
      ~ A

      Delete
    3. It does have that same breezy feel to it. Good memory, Anon. 2:34!

      Delete
  11. Jane, that picture with Sachin Tendulkar has been captioned "Royalty with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge" all over Indian social media. Tendulkar is God to more than a billion people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would prefer the dress either shorter or longer but I guess she can carry off the midi! Love the colours and the pattern but the shoes are terrible with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great, great post, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved everything but the shoes (dress was not love at first sight, but it grew) - can the woman not wear flats or a sandal? Is that anti protocol? Cool day for Will and Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate shoes. Simple balerinas would have been so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she wanted to be in heels, and with all the walking on grass wedges are the only real practical thing. Well, I think she wore heels on grass in California, but I think you get what I mean. Wedges don't get stuck in dirt ;-)

      Delete
  16. I liked this dress. Liked the colours and the flow of the fabric. Good choice for an active part of the day. It would be hard to look fresh in this heat.

    KiwiNic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she’d opt for a high ponytail–very hot and windy when you see the videos. Love the colorful dress and fun earrings. Red-eye flight, hot as Hades, and she can still run around–-amazing. William looked a bit wilted.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I want to know her secret.

      Delete
  17. This dress is so pretty! What lovely spring colours that complement Kate so well. & it looks quite light which hopefully helped her cope with the heat. I personally would have worn something lighter on my feet like sandals or ballet flats ... but I am not sure if either would have been appropriate on royalty during a highly scrutinized tour. Either may have been considered too casual?? The wedges seem more professional to me & in keeping with her on duty persona.

    All of her outfits today have wowed me, though her arrival outfit is my favourite. I'm really looking forward to Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here is a great article about Kate's fashions and all of the things they did on their first day. It talks about all of the charities involved today and what they do for those who live in difficult situations. There are also photos of some of the other fashions worn to the Bollywood event. The fabrics and beading are stunning.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3532629/Kate-dazzles-beaded-blue-gown-William-arrive-glittering-Bollywood-gala-feast-Indian-entertainment-including-singers-dancers-nod-fashion.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Alejandra RamírezApril 10, 2016 at 6:28 PM

    Amazing post Jane! Super well written!
    Love your narrative and extra comments!
    The dress was sooooooooooo nice and it was perfect for the two events! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. I quiet like this dress.. It looks comfortable and with the different backgrounds she was photographed against stands out really well.. I don't know how she always looks like she's having a good time but she pulls it off quiet nicely! Wtg Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dress is a win with it's pretty pattern and green and pink.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hmm I love these printed dress they both enjoy these trip

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think this, along with the McQeen at arrival, may be two of my favourite Kate-on-tour looks ever. So much so that when I saw this was available on the Anita Dongre website, I couldn't help but buy it :) I have one of her dresses from a recent trip to India and they are super flattering and I think a great choice for Kate...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this look: the colours and length is perfect. Also like how her hair is wavy - probably from the humid air. As usual, in my books, Catherine makes a perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jennifer from the SouthApril 11, 2016 at 3:29 PM

    I really like this dress, but would have preferred to see it as a proper tunic with some white skinny trousers/jeans and flats.

    Kate is quite skilled at jumping and running in wedges - quite personally I would have broken my neck! - but I wonder why she does not wear trousers for these types of things. I know she is on official duty and that usually requires dresses, but she has worn jeggings for heavens sake for other duties, including receiving the torch at BP (when a skirt, even her white jean skirt, would have been a better option), so I am confused about why they aren't appropriate here. Trousers can look very nice when properly done - just look at Mary and Letizia.

    Anyway, it looks like it was a really fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this dress! It has a boho style that I never thought to see on the duchess. The only think I would change is the shoes, a sandal without heels it would look much better and be more appropriate for playing games.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This probably sounds a little off, but the bus ride is my favorite event so far.
    Catherine and the the children-even other adults- looked so relaxed and happy.
    I wonder if she felt that for those moments, at least, she was accepted as her true self and need not face speculation and judgement. Children can do that for a person.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The colours on the dress are lovely and it looks like it would have been a cool fabric to wear in the Indian heat. I am a tad baffled about why Kate wears stockings/pantyhose though. I live in the tropics of northern Australia and the thought of wearing stockings in the heat here makes me wilt :(

    ReplyDelete
  29. The shoes/wedges have definitely been identified as Monsoon Fleur Wedges. The mint velvet ones have a different sole to the ones Kate is wearing. I have a pair and have been comparing them to loads of photos of Kate wearing them and they are definitely the Monsoon Fleur Wedges.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pretty dress. She's very slim, though. Disappointed to see more wedges.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!