Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Walk Through the World With Me: William & Kate's 5th Wedding Anniversary

Friday, April 29, 2016

In 1969 Petula Clark and the charming Peter O'Toole appeared in "Goodbye, Mr. Chips." One of the many beautiful songs in that film was called Walk Through the World With Me. Watching William and Kate hike to Tiger's Nest earlier this month got me thinking about their hand-holding and today, as we celebrate their 5th anniversary, the lyrics seems especially applicable to William and Kate: Walk through the world with me, and you will see how happy life can be...hand in hand, together for eternity. This duo has covered the globe in the past five years, often hand in hand.




William said that he was torn about asking Kate first or Michael first, but settled on proposing to Kate. The prince famously popped the question to his girlfriend while on vacation in Kenya, but shortly after their return William invited Michael and Carole to Birkhall, Prince Charles' Balmoral Estate. During this intimate shooting weekend away, William asked Michael Middleton for Kate's hand in marriage. Although William claims he was worried Michael would say no, I think it is pretty clear that every single party involved was absolutely thrilled by the secret proposal. Five months after William asked Michael for Kate's hand, in the proverbial sense, Mr. Middleton delivered in a poignant moment at the foot of Westminster Abbey's altar.


The custom of asking the bride's father for her hand is an old one, which increasingly has been left at the wayside, but William maintained the tradition and more than many couples, it seemed particularly appropriate. Once William took Kate's hand that morning, it seems the two haven't let go. 


The morning after the Royal Wedding, the couple strolled across the green lawn of Buckingham Palace. They had spent the night at Buckingham Palace after their private reception and were making their way to a waiting helicopter. Usually reticent with the press, the newlyweds were happy to put their joy on display for all to see.


There were only a few paparazzi shots of the couple's super-secret and jealously guarded honeymoon in the Seychelles, but the one that did emerge pictured the couple hand-in-hand walking the beach. 


The two spent a weekend in Scotland, where their royal romance first began, to attend cousin Zara's wedding. The newlyweds took a break in Holyrood Park in what was to be the first of many vacation walks we would witness. 


Photos of their happy stroll along the pebbled beaches near their Anglesey home remain favorites for many:


In 2012, the pair travelled to Southeast Asia where they were hoisted high into the canopy of the rainforest, holding tightly to one another so as not to drift off.


Sport games are often frustrating for fashionistas because we don't get a great look at the clothes and the overall view of the royals is often partially obstructed. The balance to that drawback is the relaxed nature of the event usually highlights sweet moments, such as this one from the 2012 London Olympics:


It was Christmas in 2013 that the Duke & Duchess first walked hand-in-hand to the Christmas morning service. It was an evolution not in their relationship, as we have seen, but in their comfort level with the press. The necessary discretion of their dating days was starting to fall away.



When the couple flew to another hemisphere in 2014, they were pictured walking the grounds of Government House in Canberra:


Toward the end of that year, in what appeared to be a more contemplative moment, they watched the Commonwealth Games in Scotland together:



Who can forget their stunning moment at the head of the steps of the Metropolitan Museum in New York City?


It was just a few short weeks later they were at Sandringham once again for their family Christmas gathering. That was a special year as it was the first time that the Middletons joined the royals for this major holiday. Kate's family stayed at Anmer Hall and were present at the Sunday morning service.


The couple marked a milestone on May 2, 2015 when they introduced their daughter Charlotte to the waiting press and to the world on the steps of the Lindo Wing:


Most recently, the couple travelled to India and Bhutan, during which they spent several hours hiking to a historic monastery nestled high in the mountains.


Throughout the years, their joy in each other has been readily apparent to even the most jaded observer. Their penchant for hand-holding is a delightful outward symbol of their unity and the strength of what appears to be a remarkable romance. It has been five years since William and Kate joined hands to walk through the world together and it has been a wonderful, wonderful journey thus far.


The two are celebrating privately this year, and having just finished their tour of India and Bhutan, they have a lot of memories to reflect on both from this year and the past five!  



If you haven't seen last years's post Love Is In The Air, be sure to pop over and OD a little on the pictures. I have had this scene from the Royal Wedding on replay most of the day. The ceremony remains as magnificent, soul-moving, and visually arresting as it was at 3am five years ago!



Wishing you all a very Happy Royal Wedding Anniversary Day and a celebration that continues into this weekend! I am having champagne tonight; I hope you do, too. ;) 




28 comments:

  1. I have a special connection to Kate and William's anniversary--I watched their wedding as a newlywed myself! My 5th anniversary with my husband was a short 6 days ago, and I have no problem admitting that watching their wedding video in addition to my own is a big part of my personal anniversary celebration (although my husband doesn't join me to watch the royal wedding, in keeping with the precedent he set by going to bed 5 years ago while I stayed awake in the living room).
    Kate's dress looked very much like my mothers (first my grandmother's), which I had always hoped to wear. Unfortunately, after 5 wears and almost as many alterations, it was unfit for another round of changes to make it ready for my wedding. So, as much as I LOVED the dress I chose to wear instead, it was beyond thrilling to see Kate wearing one so much like the one I had dreamed of wearing.
    I also married a military officer, one who flies aircraft, so I felt doubly connected to Kate's new life as a military spouse.
    I know I'm only one of many, many others who share this time of year with W&K, celebrating our anniversaries, and I would be celebrating with them regardless of my own connection to the date. But it does make it feel a bit more special to me.
    Happy 5th Anniversary, Kate and Will! Here's to many, many more years of wedded bliss!
    -TMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TMM my story is a little like yours! I was married five years ago in March (March 2011), so I was on a wedding high while I indulged and witnessed the Cambridge union. I took a vacation day from work, my mom came over early in the morning, we made breakfast and drank mimosas, and my husband bought cupcakes for the "cake". So while I have no children, I feel a connection to their anniversary and what can be accomplished in five years :-)
      Happy Anniversary to you too, TMM!
      ~ A

      Delete
    2. Happy anniversary to you both(and anyone else who shares this week).

      Delete
    3. Ugh, A, I replied to you yesterday but just realized something must have gone wrong because it never showed up.
      I love your husband and the fact that he's down with celebrating--mine couldn't be bothered less. But he does humor me by letting me give him the play by play of W&K's every move.
      Happy anniversary to you!
      -TMM

      Delete
  2. What a great story,TMM!

    And -perfect Jane,just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and photos. My husband and I were engaged the same day as Charles and Diana, married a week after they did, and are still happily married. I've watched all the royal weddings live through the years, and I'm glad William's marriage appears to be a great success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you on such a long and happy marriage!
      ~ A

      Delete
  4. They had "handfasting" as part of their wedding ceremony (as did my husband and I)--it seems to have worked well! (For us, too, we still hold hands after 20 years.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun theme to follow :-) I loved the video of them in Canberra (I believe that's where they were) when Kate jumped and clicked her heels. William didn't even flinch or look over; it was such a "dorky", but lovable move by Kate.

    I live in Canada, and this morning on the radio they were playing some brief audio clips from the Cambridge wedding - that's what reminded me! I remember watching their wedding while I was on a wedding high from my own. I never tire of my wedding video or their wedding video - my two favorite weddings!

    Happy anniversary to us all, since this is also a milestone for us as a Kate-watching community!

    ~ A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, what a lovely post to mark W&K's anniversary and celebrate the love that continues. I hope they enjoyed their special day, and I wish them many, many more to come.

    I had taken the day off from work to watch the wedding coverage throughout the day and planned to be up before the birds. Well, I was so excited that I couldn't sleep, so I even caught the preparations of the BP balcony and the laying of the red carpet at Westminster Abbey! What an incredible day it was, from start to finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really sweet remembrance, royalfan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, 8:21, but there was a touch of bittersweet mixed in as well. How sad that Diana wasn't there to cheer them on. I recall her sheer enthusiasm at Andrew and Sarah's wedding and, looking back, I really admire her for it since her own marriage was not the happiest at that point.

      Delete
    2. Being here in the Pacific time zone I just stayed up all night to watch the wedding. It was a couldn't miss event for me. I stayed up all night to watch Diana's wedding, Andrew & Sarah's wedding, and then again to watch Diana's funeral. It was nice to see a happy occasion again although I agree with you, royalfan, that it was bittersweet because Diana wasn't there. Seeing Carole wear that beautiful light blue suit by Catherine Walker, whom Diana wore many times, seemed like a wonderful nod - even if it was unintentional. Women with good style know how to choose the right designer.

      Delete
    3. "Couldn't miss event" indeed. I scheduled a day off as soon as they announced the date. :) I had no intention of settling for coverage after the fact.

      And I truly loved Carole's outfit. Not only was it beautiful and flattering on her, but the obvious nod to Diana was lovely. I'm sure the gesture was not lost on William, Harry, or the Spencer's. ("Others" too, but oh well! ;)

      Delete
  8. My favorite moment of Will & Kate letting down their guard and really showing affectation is at he cycling event at the 2012 Olympic. Who can forget those photos of Will hugging her waist and she with her arms around his neck. It seemed in the excitement she literally jumped into his arms and her caught her all the while celebrating with a with arms in the air a huge grins on their faces. Quite like any couple enjoying a spectacular moment at a sporting event. Really loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched the wedding with my friend of sixty-six years from when we met in third grade. We had quiche and mimosas in her home after she picked me up from the hotel at three AM. In a way it was like we came full circle because we watched the Queen's coronation in my home. Her family didn't have a TV in 1953. It's hard to believe that five years have passed since that wonderful day.
    Your post's theme of "holding hands" is thoughtful and much appreciated. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. What a wonderful memory.

      It's times like this that I *do* hope W&K are aware of how people feel...

      Delete
    2. One would hope, royalfan. (5:58 am)
      Perhaps as counterpoint to some of the harsher moments.

      Delete
  10. I have that picture imprinted on my mind. Such a big smile of joy on her face. I think it reflected more than just winning a race. Underlying happiness and contentment, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon:9:51. I like how you phrase it: "Underlying happiness and contentment" and you are absolutely correct.

      Best regards,

      RW.

      Delete
  11. Alejandra RamírezApril 29, 2016 at 11:26 PM

    Yeih! I was so happy when I saw your post! I knew you would make something special for the day!
    Love the post and the storyline you put to it! It is truly a love story, a strong one and above all, an honest and genuine one.
    They look so happy!
    God bless them and you Jane for all the wonderful work you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You stole my words! Such a romantic, tender, dainty post, a Perfect commemoration.

      Delete
  12. Sonja from BavariaApril 30, 2016 at 3:17 AM

    I think it's so lovely that William maintained the tradition and asked Mike for permission. For me, one of the most moving moments of the entire ceremony was Mike lifting Kate's veil.

    I guess you are either a holding hands couple or you are not, William and Kate apparently are :) this is very cute.

    Some of my favourite couple moments were also William and Kate hugging spontaneously at the Olympic games or the photo you included of them walking the beach of Angelsey with small Lupo, I just love dogs and I have seem so many adorable photos of either Kate or William holding him and giving him a tender kiss :)

    Thanks for this lovely lookback at this 'holiday' for royal watchers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely beautiful post.
    I treated myself to re-watching the ceremony on U-tube. I had forgotten so much of the soaring music.
    Long may their happiness continue.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane, I knew you would have a thoughtful and lovely post today! Thanks for all the great pictures- I love seeing these two together. Seems to be quite the unified team! I bet as they commemorate today that they smile at each other and are quite happy with the little family they have made! Congratulations to them both, and I look forward to watching the Cambridges do their bit for Queen and Country!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wanted to see the moment when Michael Middleton lifted Kate's veil during their wedding, but I've always missed it.
    There are a handsome couple now and a beautiful bride and groom then!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this lovely post. The Wedding was sooo exciting and what a beautiful bride and groom was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post for their anniversary. I'm a few days late because life really got in the way of fun stuff this week! I love that you chose their hand holding to focus on. My husband and I are still hand holders after all these years. We started dating in high school and have never lost the habit. W&K's happiness is so apparent in every look and touch between the two of them. Wonderful to see and you've pulled together some fantastic photos, Jane.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!