Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

5 Years With Jane & Kate: The Other Middleton Girl

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

2016 marks the Duke and Duchess of Cambridges' fifth wedding anniversary. In May, I published a detailed post here that looked back over Kate's five years as a Duchess, charting her sartorial journey from commoner right out of college to international super star. As Kate celebrates 5 years, this blog  is celebrating its fifth anniversary, too, and today I am launching a series of look-back posts. I will highlight some of my best-received for you to remember, and for thousands of you, perhaps your first time reading them. I will also reflect on my memories and mind-sets when I wrote these posts. I am excited to wander down memory lane with you all! So, pop into my time-travel machine and buckle up! 
 
This was one of my very first posts, written just before Kate and William married. Today we are very used to designers acknowledging and promoting pieces that Kate has worn, but before Kate married this was, of course, not generally the case. I am far more comfortable today with stores releasing info about Kate's purchases (although I would still probably make a distinction between discussing something she bought privately and hasn't worn, and acknowledging a publicly worn piece) and it is interesting to see how my perspective has shifted in the five years that she has been a public figure rather than a private girlfriend. Pippa was also a relatively new celebrity at the time, since most of the media attention never drifted past Kate. Little did we know that Pippa was about to be launched to even greater attention at the Royal Wedding that would take place just one week. The picture I used of Pippa (from Holly Branson's engagement party) was and remains breathtaking.  I cannot wait to see Pippa as a bride. 

I smile when I reread this post--it was such an incredibly exciting spring. I was finishing my senior year in college and blogging away in a quiet corner of my local coffee shop. The posts are relatively short; I was still getting used to the whole idea of writing my thoughts on a public forum and presenting them to people I didn't even know! It was surreal and it was so, so fun. They were happy days. Without further ado, from April 22, 2011: 


The Other...Middleton Girl 



One week left to the wedding! For all the nay-saying articles about people uninterested, the excitement is fever pitch. This week saw the much reported shopping trip on King's Road and most of the stores reported what Kate purchased. It seems a dangerous choice to make for the stores. If they report what she bought, their sales will no doubt sky-rocket on those items, but they risk Kate's displeasure and possibly the royal patronage discontinued. Perhaps they feel safety in numbers, but whether they suffer repercussions or not, it seems very inappropriate. Despite it all, I hope she stills shops at the High Street stores. Part of the magic of Kate Middleton is her normalcy and the fashion accessibility to the average woman. Of course, no one minds the occasional stunning designer item...



Clearly, we all are familiar with Pippa Middleton, but when the Mail reported her at Holly Branson's engagement party complete with stunning photos, I suddenly sat up and took notice. The younger sister of Kate, she was born September 6, 1982. She was educated at the same schools as her sister, but attended the University of Edinburgh, rather than St. Andrews. It has been reported in the past that Pippa outshone Kate since she was the more glamorous sister. Although, this may very well have been true amongst their friends and social group, obviously Kate is a force in her own right now, and not just because of her royal connections. Nevertheless, the two have very, very similar style--all three Middleton women do, as a matter of fact. Apparently, they are the same size and often swap clothes. I do not think it is a disloyalty to look for fashion tips from Pippa as well. ;)

Frankly, over the past year or so, we have seen less and less of Kate; she has kept a fairly low profile and has spent much of her time in Anglesey. Among the many obvious exciting outcomes of the engagement is that we now get official public engagements with Kate, and so can mark the days on our calander when she will hit our news feed in yet another stunning ensemble. Nevertheless, I miss the more impromtu photos and clothes of the pre-engagement days, as wonderful as the more sophisticated princess looks have been.

Pippa, though, is still our girl about town, and I turn to her with excitement to see what she will turn up in and where. So, while we keep Kate Middleton as our favorite fashion guru, let's also keep an eye out for the stunning Pippa!

See the article on the Branson party at the Daily Mail, here. I think that the bangs are an awesome look for her. In the past she has primarily sported the same style as Kate, layered, but no bangs. The swept to the side look is striking.

34 comments:

  1. Wandering down memory lane sounds like a great idea and I look forward to the posts! Thank you, Jane.

    Pippa looks lovely and I love this outfit on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! Absolutely love this dress on her. It's classy but fun

      Delete
  2. A great post! This should be a fun series.

    By the way: Pippa was born in 1983 (not 1982).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pippa was born in 1983.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the idea of going down memory lane! Been a follower of your blog since the beginning but haven't really posted comments. Thank you for all that you do on here and for your thoughts and critiques on clothes and life in general of the Duchess of Cambridge and those associated with her. I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting idea and a great fill-in until the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely idea. Looking forward to reading the whole series.

    Ps. Pippa was born in 1983 and Kate 1982 (I know this because Kate and I very nearly share a birthday)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jane, how beautiful to have your you before now written down in a blog with posts that are so fun to read in hinsight and reflect your personal growth as well! i am a kate and fb2b follower since december 2012 when she got pregnant (i totally missed the wedding...) so i will be looking forward to your classics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pippa and Kate remind me of Jane Austin's characters. Marry well and enjoy! Whether it can be a woman's only aim/goal in life, could be up to serious discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you suggesting that it was their only goal in life?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if it's what 2:58 meant but I would consider that a compliment. Me, my sister and my sister-in-law are all highly educated women who also all purchased the same pride and prejudice board book for my baby niece. Why? Because Jane Austen writes compelling female characters who transcend time

      Delete
    3. Actually, I've always thought that the Middletons could have come right out of a Jane Austin novel. You have your upper middle class family with an apropos name (Middleton) living in a picturesque village (Bucklebury). The eldest daughter marries very well into the aristocracy but not without some requisite drama and the ruffling of feathers concerning societal norms. Sounds like a page out of Pride and Prejudice to me, and, I think, Austin would have loved Kate and Williams story.

      Delete
    4. Yes! Thank you, Anon 8:56! People who think Jane Austen only wrote sweet little love stories about getting married don't get her at all.

      Delete
    5. Austen!! Auto correct can be so annoying.

      Delete
  9. Such fun! And what a lovely picture of a care-free Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not only is this not an original thought @ 2:58, but the comment smacks of so many prejudices that it does not belong in society, let alone this blog. Such a shame that such thoughts still exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that was 2:58's intent, but speaking as someone who has followed W&K's relationship since the very beginning, and the opinions associated with it, I will make a general observation........ sometimes it is easier to turn a positive into a negative rather than acknowledge someone else's genuine good luck and qualities.

      Delete
  11. Women did not have jobs outside the home, let alone careers, in Jane Austen's time. If a man didn't marry off his daughters well, he faced supporting them for the rest of his life. The eldest sons carried the burden of care of spinster sisters from there-which didn't work out well in her case, or in the case of the women of Sense and Sensibility. Brothers weren't always conscientious following their father's demise. Fortunately, Jane had a talent for writing-a job that could be done at home. It paid some bills. Her books were parodies of
    the current customs surrounding the search for a suitable marriage.
    An upper middle class love match was fairly rare. One's husband was pre-selected. It was a
    daughter's duty to marry well, not always her choice. Love was a happy by product, but not
    considered necessary.Now it seems marriages of convenience are scorned. Love matches, as with Kate and Pippa, are lauded and money has become the happy by-product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women of a certain class did not work outside the home but not all of their servants lived in so those women presumably did have jobs outside of the home

      Delete
    2. Young girls and spinsters were usually those who were in service. As soon as the girls married they usually left their jobs. Mind you the spinsters were usually those who had turned 30 and not married yet! During those times women could not purchase property so, unless inherited, they couldn't own a place of residence. Marriage was the only option.

      Delete
  12. How fun to revisit those days as we wait for the long, long royal vacation season to run its course. I am not a fan of the bangs on Pippa but that's nothing compared to how amazingly toned she has always been! Those girls sure got some great genes from their parents! Carole is my granny guru!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In taking a look at the photos again just now, I have to say that I love the pantyhose that Pippa is wearing (likewise for Kate) and I hope they make a comeback. Yes, I said it! :)) I am referring to the more expensive and ultra sheer type, but I find them to be a classy, and classic, finishing touch...sort of like foundation for the legs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes. I never knew those kinds of hose were "out" when dressing up :) Maybe they were for ordinary daywear because of the expense but not for special ocassions and evening wear.

      Delete
    2. True confession: I was never more happy than when pantyhose went out of style. I felt like I was being stuffed in a sausage casing every time I had to wear them! I'm not sure I'd ever go back. Although I do wear opaque stockings in the winter - when needed.

      Delete
    3. I second that. Classy and classier.

      Royal fan in Northern Ontario

      Delete
    4. Lizzie, they may not be completely "out", but I do see women passing on them even in formal and elegant settings.

      Robin, thanks for the giggle. :) I'm no prude, but with my penchant for sheath dresses and pencil skirts, they remain a part of my wardrobe. Sausage factor or not! Lol.

      RF in Ontario, glad I'm not alone. :)

      Delete
  14. Pippa looks stunning here. Wish there were more photos from the event. I already checked the DM link.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 5th blog birthday Jane. I've followed you since the beginning, although I don't post often and look forward to continuing to read your posts for many years to come x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Long royal Vacation is well over---William has been back at his air ambulance job since the beginning of last week and he goes to Germany next Tuesday, followed by both of them on an away day you Luton on Wed.
    Just posted, a 2 day visit to Cornwall and the Scilly Isles on Sept 1 and 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't get that traditional long break off! Good for them to continue working while everyone else is frolicking up in Scotland!

      Delete
  17. This is a lovely thought, and I look forward to more such posts. Congratulations on five years! I particularly enjoy reading your opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi all, just in case anyone is interested there appears to have been a few "Kate" dresses that have gone up on eBay in recent days - including the DVF Patrice Wrap dress from the Australian tour which is a personal favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sonja from BavariaAugust 21, 2016 at 3:28 PM

    I love reading your old posts again, you always write so thoughtfully.
    Pippa really looks great in that dress and I think Kate should get a black blazer/jacket just like this one, a real wardrobe essential for everyone!
    I am still so happy that Pips got engaged, I can only imagine it was not always easy for her to be thrown into the limelight suddenly because of her sister's marriage.
    I am not very up to date on Pippa at the moment... what job does she currently do? I know she wrote the celebrate book and used to write articles for the waitrose magazine for some time, but I don't think she does that anymore...
    Does anyone know if she works at Party Pieces? I am really curious :)

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!