Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

[Full Post] Day 4 in Kelowna, BC & Whitehorse, Yukon

Tuesday, September 27, 2016


The word came "across the wire" that Kate was wearing green Dolce & Gabanna and my heart froze. Not another lace Dolce, I thought. Sorry, Kate. I am the first to gravitate toward the lace, but I have put myself on a lace hiatus and I think you should be on one, too. Happily, when the princess stepped out of the plane that had flown her from Victoria to Kelowna, and started down the steps to the tarmac, it was not in a lace ensemble, rather it was a retro-styled midi dress inspired by Alice in Wonderland!


The couple were quickly whisked to University of British Columbia where they were warmly welcomed by students, staff, and representatives from the local indigenous tribes. 


The dress is relatively fitted through the hips with just a slight flare. It looks like it stepped off the set of Foyle's War and right onto Kate. 

After the two unveiled a plaque they walked to the nearby stadium where the women's volleyball team was ready to play ball. The place was packed with very excited Generations Zs. I think that Kate is such a fantastic role model for young women, so I really enjoy when we see her interacting with them. The energy in the building to welcome the royal couple was certainly strong.



They even got an athlete's entrance, with their heights announced over the loudspeaker:



Watching Kate chatting with her hosts I was very impressed by her delightful and cheerful demeanor. She really looked lovely and thoughtful without a whisper of boredom or unease. She does like to twist that ring, though. :)


The couple didn't stay that long. They met the players, were presented with personalized jerseys and teddies for the kiddos, and they left. The exit was epic--they walked up a staircase lined with fangirling young people with their phones out. Celebrity status on steroids:

Hello!
Let's talk about the dress. It is inspired by Alice in Wonderland and is called the Pocket Watch Midi, because, get this, it has a massive pocket watch appliqué on it. Are you just staring at the screen right now while your brain furiously tries to function? Sometimes, fashion really surprises me.



I almost wish that Kate had worn it as designed, rather than having the watch taken off, but I think it would have left everyone more perplexed than Alice was in Wonderland.

UBC Twitter

Reader Meghan on Twitter actually messaged me suggesting this would be the dress Kate wore before we even had seen Kate in the dress, so major props on calling that, Meghan. I know Meghan is disappointed that the watch wasn't worn, but she might have reasons other than mine for her disappointment. I'm not sure. What do you all think? Would this have just left your jaw on the floor? I feel like it would have been too quirky and left all of Kelowna scratching their heads.

Kensington Royal

After the couple left UBC, they made their way to every millennial's favorite weekend activity, a "Taste of (Insert Your Town Name), and in this case, it was obviously Taste of British Columbia. Hosted by Mission Hill Family Estate, this event focused on the local surf and turf industries. The couple got to take another stroll through a vineyard, too. It was like a retake of their stroll through the Australian vineyard, but this time Kate stayed steady on her feet.


I love this shot of William, apparently serenading the assembled company. Kate thinks it is hilarious. Rebecca Deacon wonders if the clams were spiked. Mr. Security thinks this is all together beyond the princely pail. What a crew.


The event was also hosting some other charming guests, highlighting Chefs in the Classroom, a program for kids that teaches them about agriculture, nutrition, and healthy lifestyles. 


Don't just zip by this video. It includes Kate trying to keep a mini-chef in his seat and is very, very sweet.

I don't know what Kate was trying here, I think from earlier pictures that it has tentacles, but I can't be sure. Whatever it was, I am guessing she won't be sourcing it for her Anmer Hall table.



After what appeared to be a fantastic visit, the couple headed to the plane to fly to Whitehorse, Yukon, where they would spend their first night on tour away from George and Charlotte. 

Evening in Whitehorse, Yukon


The disparity in temperature was significant, and we wondered if Kate would change into a new and warmer ensemble. She did, but she didn't. The Duchess kept her Pocket Watch Midi on, but added her very popular Persephone trench from Hobbs.

I think this coat is so beautiful on Kate. It was a huge hit when she first wore it in 2014, and this recycle was a big fashion win. Kate has a special glow when she wears green. It might be her best color. On this particular occasion, the forest green, against the misty grey hues of Whitehorse toward dusk, was perfect.


The only problem with the coat was that I am not sure it was warm enough. It was 6 celsius, which is just around 42 Fahrenheit, and as Emily Andrews pointed out several times, freezing. Both the royals look chilled here on the tarmac and they had a partial outdoor engagement still to go. 6C/42F doesn't sound so cold in theory, but particularly when coming from a warmer climate, it is quite brisk.



At first glance and from a distance, I thought that Kate was carrying her Strathearn tartan, but far more diplomatically, it turned out to be the Maple Leaf, Canada's unofficial pattern. The symbolism is really fun. Described by Windsor's Scottish Heritage:

[T]he Maple Leaf Tartan is the unofficial tartan of Canada. The Commercial Division of the Office of the High Commissioner for Canada said of the design, "In creating the Maple Leaf Tartan fabric, David Weiser captured the natural phenomena of these leaves turning from summer into autumn. The green is the early colour of the foliage. Gold appears at the turn of autumn. Red shows up at the coming of the first frost. The two tones of brown find their way throughout the leaf creating a prolific profusion of colour."
From the airport, the couple to Kwanlin DĂŒn’s cultural centre, where they enjoyed an exhibit "Land of Gold – A Yukon Cultural Celebration" and a performance by local, young artists.


All in all, the verdict is a big win. Kate's Pocket Watch Dress was a hit for me, and I enjoyed all the feedback, both in favor and opposed to the appliqué! Kate was radiant in both shades of green, and this coat is particularly flattering on her. My only criticism is the shoes. I rarely have a problem with her nude shoes, but on the frosty looking tarmac in Whitehorse, even I thought they looked uncomfortably out of place. She should have worn dark suede, or even pulled out the Rumba boots! They would have gone better with the Northern night and crisp fire of the Yukon:


If you need the exact details on what Kate is wearing, it is all on Kate's Clothes here.

68 comments:

  1. She's so beautiful and regal! Dress is just gorgeous and I think it's her color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this look! lovely dress although it gave me a mini hear-attack when I saw it is $3,545 !!
    Kates clothing budget has increased by several times it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We know she pays for her clothes, but we certainly do not know how much she pays. The constant emphasis on price is rather tedious. Diana had an extensive wardrobe and I am sure it came at a hefty price, but no one ever knew the pricing.Social media is driving this constant reporting on price. Other royals also wear hefty price tags,but it's never discussed.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing they're getting an allotment from the Duchy of Cornwall for her tour clothes. Since they have stepped up the number of tours and other appearances this year it would make sense. I am also thinking that we're going to see her being gifted some lovely pieces of jewelry from the royal collection soon.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and appropriate. Ceremony before the unveiling was quite moving. Definitely could not go casual today. As usual she got it right and really love the new earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is all about the vintage silhouettes on this tour! Do like the dress overall but when I first saw the buttons I thought they looked like jingle balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, jingle bells (autocorrect!)

      Delete
    2. lol! Autocorrect (or as we call it in our family - stupid autocorrect) makes some funny sentences!

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love the color and cut of this beautiful dress! Another stunning look for Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The vintage design is lovely and, although she doesn't wear dark green often, it is a wonderful color for her. Really brings out the shade of her hair and complexion. Great new earrings as well that I might have to look into for myself.

      One minor quibble. Im not in love with the nude shoes and purse with this dress. Bland.

      Delete
    2. Faith, I agree. I'm wondering if black shoes in a similar style as the red ones/suede? woukd have looked nice. Maybe! Any suggestions?

      Delete
    3. I think the red shoes in black would have been wonderful. Although its off her radar, a shoe with some vintage flavor would be amazing such as an ankle strap, peep toe or stacked heel
      maryjanes. Someone with much more fashion sense than I have could probably
      come up wirh some uncredible color combinations such as a plum or granite shade for the shoe.

      Delete
    4. Love the ideas!

      Delete
    5. I love the dress with the stopwatch, and black shoes would be perfect with that version of the dress. Major vintage. Love it!

      Delete
    6. Ankle strap pumps would have been great! And her DVF leopard print clutch :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely color on her and will work for many events in the future too. But, the accessories are bland and I question the high price when it is not a British or Canadian designer. I think it's fine for royals to wear foreign brands, but on tours, I think it's better to represent the home or visiting country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder why she opted for D&G rather than Erdem (which we have to see this tour)

      Delete
    2. She has done very well for Britain. Three days out of four wearing British designers and accessories is certainly representing your country well.

      Delete
    3. Yes but wearing Erdem would be representing the host country. D&G is not connected to either the UK or Canada.

      Delete
    4. No Canadian designer yet. Quite disappointed - feels like a snubb.

      Delete
    5. I agree. Kate is usually credited with great thoughtfulness and symbolism in her sartorial choices so the lack of Canadian designers (for major pieces not just earrings) is somewhat disappointing

      Delete
  7. Loved the dress--it has a nineteen forties vibe.
    In my opinion the nude shoes are perfect with it. Nice earrings and hair looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RE her shoes - completely agree; I loved the nude shoes with this too! I have been a bit tired of all the nude/flesh/tan shoes, but these are *perfect* with this dress, IMO.

      Johanna in Florida

      Delete
  8. I love this look on Kate and I am glad the watch was not on the dress. I really like Kate's choices for this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that the strangely large watch was not on Kate's version! Oh my goodness I can't even imagine it and I'm sure the Halloween costume remarks would have been fast and furious. As it is, I love the retro look of the dress and the nude accessories - for once - are perfect with it and the shoes aren't suede! I know there are some who will not like this dress but I love retro and, apparently, so does Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I love retro so we agree there, but I would also enjoy the watch on the dress. I'd like to see Kate have a bit of fun and make us guess... :) Although, I do understand her avoiding the distraction.

      Delete
    2. But when the dress was IDed as Alice in Wonderland as it would have been..and I'm late I'm late for a very important date came up? Especially since Kate is known for wearing intentional symbols? Seems it could have been awkward.

      Delete
    3. That is true, lizzie! lol! Maybe D&G could have made that pocket watch just a bit (a lot) smaller for the nod.

      Delete
    4. The dress is already too jeune fille with the string tie, shoulder ruffles, peaked sleeves and swarm of gold buttons. I don't always like her hair down for official engagements but this day the hair covered some of the excess of detail.
      What redeems this dress is the fabulous swishy skirt.

      Delete
  10. The color is nice on Kate. I was shocked by the price of the dress though but that has been true for much of this tour-- I think the "cheapest" dress so far was the red one from last night.  I think this dress is better without the applique..... .it seems best not to wear anything that has to "be explained." And wearing a watch applique could easily convey the wrong symbolism for this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine looks wonderful today! The dark green is a gorgeous colour on her, with lovely new earrings to match. She really shines in a crowd - as the Queen does and Diana did - in couture made clothes and jewel tones. So much better than all those boring cream, beige and white dresses that she tends to favour. She looks fantastic and seems to be enjoying herself on the tour so far. This dress has photographed well too; it's a lovely, regal look that I hope we see again (along with that blue Jenny Peckham dress from Day 1 - another great dress exquisitely made and in a gorgeous, crowd-pleasing colour).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the watch would be too distracting and all the press would report on is that and not the event. She has to be careful what she wears to engagements.

    I think black shoes would work as well but maybe later in the fall. The nude shoe makes it less wintery and also elongates the legs and puts more focus on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the original design of the dress with the watch. If it was not appropriate for the tour (but actually I think it would have been fine) I would have rather she just picked a different dress. I thought it was ill fitting and just not terribly flattering, the watch would have at least made it fun and interesting. The colour is beautiful on her and her hair is perfection today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She wrote her master's thesis (or British equivalent?) on Alice in Wonderland! It's a fun read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, who did? Kate doesn't have a masters from university...

      Delete
    2. It probably was her senior thesis. Lewis Carroll was known for his pictures of children (very spooky and eerie) as well as his writing of "Alice".Since Kate was an art history major- she may have done it on that. I saw a very nice exhibition of the photographs at the Art Institute of Chicago about 15 years ago.

      Delete
  15. I am obviously in the minority here. Kate is a beautiful woman who always looks lovely, but I didn't care for the color of this dress. It looked heavy to me and matronly. I think a soft lighter color print would have been better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree. It's fall so a more jewel tone is appropriate, plus green eyes and brown hair hold up well against the color.
      ~ A

      Delete
    2. I suppose it technically is fall, here in Arizona it is still summer! My mind is still with warm weather clothing!��

      Delete
    3. Fabulous colour on her. Probably worn as a nod to the large Jade mining industry in British Columbi. BC is one of the largest producers and exporters in the world. Seeing that they were showcasing BC industries yesterday, I believe this was her thinking

      Delete
  16. I wanted the pocket watch for the same reason as you Jane - just to see how giant a kerfuffle it would have caused. It's such a demure dress but that appliqué took it straight to fashion mad hatter territory. Guess I'm just a troublemaker at heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have the earrings been ID'd yet? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Leaving the appliqué on would have been trendy and awesome, which is probably why she could not wear it. I once read somewhere that the royals are not supposed to wear classic looking styles, rather than trendy or fashionable because they are mindful of photos making them looked dated. Plus, trendy doesn't recycle well in the royal wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oops, meant to say, "are supposed to wear classic looking styles. . ."

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really not crazy about the dress itself: I don't like the buttons on the front or the ruffles on the shoulders or the bow at the neckline. The price tag is insane. Surely, this dress is not worth $3,500!! And thank goodness Kate had the watch appliqué removed. But I absolutely LOVE the color. I've often thought that Kate should wear dark green more often. It really looks great with her hair and green eyes... very flattering, and in my opinion, one of her very best colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, yes, the dress is great. But, I'm most pleased to see the return of AKH: awesome Kate hair. It's made a couple of rare appearances over the last few years, but this is a roaringly successful return!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Manuela from Rhineland-PalatinateSeptember 28, 2016 at 1:59 AM

    I prefer the dress without the watch. In my opinion it is more classic and more elegant without the applique. Thank you Jane for your great blog and your instagram stories!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, love this classy dress! She truly looks beautiful in this cut and conservatively elegant style. The color is nothing short of complete perfection! I do wish that she would have opted for a deep brown leather like (since I'm aiming to become a Vegan - no leather wishes here of course) shoe with a gold accent detail though. It would have highlighted her scarf and enhanced that fabulous autumn style.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the outfit well enough. However, I'm underwhelmed on this tour. Where are the Canadian designers? They are spending so much time flying in and out of Victoria they don't have as much time to *see* things and *interact* with people - the whole point of a tour! And why, oh why(!!), does she always think *holding* a scarf/tartan is acceptable for acknowledging a place? She carries her Scottish Tartan and then she carries the Canada tartan. Wrap it around your neck and use it as an accessory! Tartan can be made into so many accessories so if she doesn't like wearing scarves I wish she'd have something practical made that she could wear when out.
    PS. I'm Canadian and love Kate but am disappointed at how this tour is playing out.
    PPS. Jane I commented on Twitter that the issues with the Chief are nothing new. Many are still bitter at what was done and thinking not enough has been done to remedy. It's very forefront in our news at all times and very political. Very different than the US.
    ~A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read W&K were promised plenty of "private family time" if they brought the children. If true, with the children in Victoria, keeping that promise would require lots of flying in and out. I agree though, it is an unusual tour schedule. I am also surprised Kate  hasn't worn any Canadian designers as she wore outfits by Indian designers when on that tour. There's still a bit of time for that but not much.

      Delete
    2. I worry that if she doesn't showcase some Canadian designers in the next few days they will come under attack as this being more of an extended family holiday than a proper tour

      Delete
    3. She never wears more than one or two host nation designers on a tour. Even on the extended tour of NZ/Aust. In India she also wore very little. I'm also in Canada and I see plenty interaction with the public and a lot of showcasing of areas that most Canadians don't even get to, That is ultimately the point of royal tours- to showcase the country.

      Delete
    4. Lizzie I know that is what our Prime Minister promised, and it is nice that they don't have to be away from their kids as much. I agree it is a bit of an odd tour.
      ~ A

      Delete
    5. Anon 10:30 I never said they weren't showcasing a lot. There is still decent content. They could be doing more if they didn't spend so much time on planes. That's my point.
      ~ A

      Delete
    6. Anon 9:59 agreed it risks looking like 1/2tour, 1/2 vacay....although they are spending a lot of time on planes and not with their kids. CDN tax payers are footing the bill, and while they are doing a lovely job showcasing these places, I just feel a better tour should have been planned. We even flew them here! Others tours they fly commercial. In 2011 Canada even flew them to California on our plane. We are really being too nice. Great admiration, or desperation. I'm not sure. This is also nt against the Cambridges, frustration is with my country.
      ~ A

      Delete
    7. Maybe one engagement a day more. They are spending an hour or two a day on planes and that is not every day. The number of engagements they are doing a day is the norm for royal tours. Anyway it's admirable that they put there family first and it's a lesson many should take cognizance of in today's society which is full of family problems.

      Delete
    8. I was thinking that tartan would have looked fabulous worn over her shoulder and the ends tucked through her belt in front and back. Just carrying it looked a little odd. Unless she wanted it to keep her hands warm - which is a possibility. I don't personally know of many Canadian designers (just my ignorance) but if she wears one on the day they are out with the children it will be a huge hit!

      Delete
    9. Especially if the children are in Canadian designers/brands as well!

      Delete
    10. Robin, true our designers are not as famous. Sophie, the Prime Minister's wife we saw with them earlier in the trip, is constantly wearing Canadian designers. She is given great credit for wearing our designers on the world stage. If Kate was stumped her office could have called Sophie's.... Also, Erdem is considered Canadian enough and we know Kate is an Erdem fan. Today is a Venezualan-American designer.....sigh.
      ~ A

      Delete
    11. Since we know Kate loves Erdem, that may be her choice in the next day or two. She wears Erdem very well!

      Delete
    12. British Columbia is a very big Province. Seeing this much of it would require airplane rides regardless of where they are based. An hour to Kelowna, 2 hours to Whitehorse. I don't see how not having the children with them would change that very much. This itinerary is amazing and truly showcases the vastness of the West Coast.

      Also, Kate is dripping in Canadian designers this afternoon. She even has her Calgary cowboy boots on. Go Kate.

      Delete
  25. I am so excited that Will & Kate are in the Yukon as part of the tour. I lived there for 6 years and it holds a very dear place in my heart. It is a unique place, almost a secret from most of Canada, and certainly the world (except for Germans, Germans love the Yukon!). The natural beauty is incredible (like, blow your mind) the heritage very rich, and the people friendly, creative, and in a lot of cases, eccentric. It's like no other place I've lived. I still have a lot of friends there who I have on high alert for photo ops and to give me the inside scoop on anything they see or hear. I'll keep you posted! If anyone of you ever get the chance to visit the Yukon (summer or winter!) I really encourage you to go!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the dress, love the color, and love the silhouette on Kate. I immediately thought of a 1940's vibe too. It really is a nice shape for her figure and the dark green is a much nicer hue than the bright green she's worn (I am thinking of the Catherine Walker one she wore at Chelsea flower show). Pair it with one of my favorite coats and voila, perfect clothes day for me for Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I prefer the dress without the clock appliqué, that looks kinda childish to me. The green is lovely on Kate and the nude pumps matched perfectly. But I would have preferred her DVF leopard print clutch to add some pep to the ensemble :)

    The dress had a great vintage like vibe to me and I love to see her wear more Monica Viander jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love her in green. I think it looks lovely on her, especially when she passes out the shamrocks to the Irish Guards on St. Patrick's Day. The coat is beautiful. All her clothes are beautiful on this trip, but my favorite is the McQueen red patterned dress. I love how they modified it for her. I also love this blog. I check it first thing every morning, especially when they're on a trip. The coverage is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this blog! Thank you for your work! I do have a question. I have noticed in several of the videos that William will get out of the car first and already be greatng people while Kate is left alone walking arounf the car to catch up with William
    It seems somewhat awkward.has anyone else noticed this'? It really isn't a big issue just curious as to why they do this. I have seen it in several videos posted lately

    Thank you so much for all your hard work. The information is so thorough and fun to read. Lots of reading and so many beautiful clothes to look at. One thing I like about Kate is she wears beautiful clothes but they are "normal" yes very expensive but I could see the average person wearing many of her choices. She just has a way of making everything look extra gorgeous !!!

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!