Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate's Embargoed Visit to HMP Eastwood Park & The Nelson Trust

Friday, November 4, 2016

The Duchess of Cambridge had no scheduled events today, but it turns out she had an embargoed event! The princess arrived at The Nelson Trust in Gloucester this morning to learn about the organizations work with vulnerable woman who have experienced abuse, as well as the support The Nelson Trust provides for mental health issues, alcohol addiction, and drug dependency. 



According to Kensington Palace, Kate first visited HMP Eastwood Park. She met with
female prisoners to hear their stories and learn about the support they are offered. At the moment, I have found no pictures of that stop, which appears to have been very private. This is not the first time that Kate has made an unannounced visit to a prison. You doubtless remember her surprise engagement at HMP Send last year, in that drop-dead gorgeous The Fold dress.


After her visit to HMP Eastwood Park, Kate made her way to The Nelson Trust, which works closely with HMP Eastwood Park to help women being released to transition. 

Kensington Palace 
Today's ensemble was interesting. It was a recycle of a number of pieces and felt very familiar and informal, like something she'd wear around Bucklebury to run errands. This fuzzy blue coat is the Paddington by Mulberry. It is first and foremost a personal coat for Kate. She first wore it in February on her commute home after a public engagement. Kate had made an appearance for the Air Cadets in London and was snapped afterward making her way to her waiting helicopter that flew her home to Norfolk. She was dressed down and wearing this coat.  


Today Kate is wearing her Annoushka pearl drop earrings and carrying what I think is her Bayswater  clutch in black suede, and wearing her Power pumps. 

Kensington Palace

The skirt is, of course, the Dolce & Gabbana she first wore at Kensington Palace the day she guest edited the Huffington Post UK. Today, she paired it with a black turtle-neck, but on its debut she wore it with a filmy, ruffled blouse from Reiss, and I have to say, I prefer that original color contrast.


Today, she wore one of her favorite knit tops. Notice its distinctive brown edging. It is a piece we have seen on a number of occasions. Kate makes headlines for even the smallest cut, but today she is wearing quite a hefty band-aid on her hand. 


Here you can see the same knit with the edging on her visit to Scotland. Read more and see a close up of the ribbing on this post


It is fun to have these events pop up as a surprise. I had wondered if we'd get something like this, because Kate almost universally bundles her engagements together. This wasn't a big fashion moment. I like this skirt, but it isn't anything that really pops. Paired with the right blouse, and in the context of the guest editor, I thought it was spot on. Today, the ensemble felt proper and functional, but nothing that made me say, what a fantastic combination. That is not necessarily a problem. It is kind of fun to see a more normal--I just threw this together this morning--kind of look. 

Kensington Palace Twitter
When Kate arrived at The Nelson Trust, she dropped her water bottle when exiting the car. The duchess spun around and picked it ip herself before turning to greet her host. I think that set the tone for the day. Kate the Great is still the girl next door, just doing her princess job. I liked this. A nice change of pace from last night's glamorous red carpet stop. (I updated that post this morning, you can pop over to see it here.)





42 comments:

  1. I prefer the black turtleneck to the blouse with this skirt. I love the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this casual feel. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the brown trim on the sweater but, otherwise, I like the idea of a black turtleneck and black opaque stockings with this skirt. The coat was a fun way to top it off. I love that she does these appearances without the fanfare. It shows that she really does care about her chosen areas of focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the black turtleneck and the opaque stockings with this skirt as well. Simple yet very pulled together. The pop of baby blue is a great contrast against all the black.

      Delete
    2. I love the black turtleneck and the opaque stockings with this skirt as well. Simple yet very pulled together. The pop of baby blue is a great contrast against all the black.

      Delete
    3. Ditto, Robin and Faith. In general, I favour skirts on Kate--she seems to have a good eye for same, as she does for evening gowns.

      JC

      Delete
  3. I like this kind of dressed down/ more normal look on Kate. I think it works really well for the type of engagements she had today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what happened to her hand . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be Charlotte bit her. (Just kidding :D )

      Delete
    2. Sonja from BavariaNovember 4, 2016 at 2:18 PM

      Maybe bob the cat was in a bad mood yesterday ;)

      Delete
    3. That bandage is right in the spot where my doctor says one of the most seen injuries occur - he calls them "bagel related injuries" as so many people slice their hands while trying to cut a bagel in half. When you think about it, it makes sense. The dang things are round and tend to roll while you're attempting to cut them! My daughter needed six stitches after a "bagel related injury" several years back.

      Delete
    4. A bagel injury, I love it!!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your post. Lots to think about here. First, I think she fit in with the women she was
    visiting. Sort of business casual.She still looked like a princess to me. I have yet to see anyone running around
    doing everyday errands dressed and groomed as well as she was. I would wear the skirt (D&G!)
    I think the blouse was nice, but for these engagements in these settings, the sweater seemed
    appropriate to me. As I commented in the last post, I do like the Matthew Williamson better.
    I could write a sonnet about that The Fold dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure!! I don't run errands in heels...ha!!

      Anon2

      Delete
    2. Bumbling, ha!!

      Delete
    3. I much prefer this coat to the Matthew Williamson. I'm not a big fan of pocket flaps, let alone two sets.

      Delete
  6. PS The bandage: I've had many a boo boo on just that area of my hand from careless removal of cookie baking pans from the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! Baking brownies!!

      Anon2

      Delete
    2. ...but it's worth it, anon 2

      Delete
  7. " It was a recycle of a number of pieces and felt very familiar and informal, like something she'd wear around Bucklebury to run errands." This line is to the point what I felt seeing the outfit.

    While the complete outfit looks casual, once the coat is removed it gets very formal look. I think the coat is not planned as a part of the outfit. She might have just get it because it is cold and removed it once inside. I felt instantly relatable to today's outfit. It's like you plan a good outfit and wear whatever the coat as you remove it anyway. Anyway I love this complete look, with and without the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonja from BavariaNovember 4, 2016 at 2:19 PM

    A great look, so normal :) And I am so happy she wore this skirt again, it is one of my favourite garments she has ever worn and I ADORE it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great outfit for the job in hand and looked good too.
    She certainly doesn't choose the easy or glamorous places to visit; hospices; addiction charities; mental health and prisons.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the whole look, and I really love her focus on these types of events. I think she is doing a brilliant job on the issues that are close to her heart. Overall a terrific day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this outfit quite a bit. The coat not so much. I agree it adds a nice pop of color. But the fuzziness, especially on the arms and hem, makes it look a little worn. (I know that's probably from the mohair but that degree of fuzziness is not obvious on the maker's website photos) It's also a bit wrinkled. But the outfit underneath is cute and professional. While I liked the white blouse worn for the Huffpo event, it seemed a little dainty and lacy for many workplaces so I like the sweater better. I'd like the outfit even better with suede booties but the suede pumps are fine too. To me, THIS is when suede should be worn...not in the summer and not with "evening" dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the same style outfit I wear to work in the winter..not the same price tag and certainly not while running errands but definitely appropriate office attire. She just looks "normal" and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This outfit emphasizes just how tiny she is, from her bust, to her waist to her legs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Overall, I really like this look. I think Kate looks youthful yet professional. The one piece I'm not crazy about is the skirt. It almost looks little girlish. I definitely like the black sweater better than the white blouse she wore with this skirt last time. I like the opaque tights... I wish Kate would wear them more often. And I like Kate's hair. While I don't care for most of the coats in Kate's very extensive collection of coats, I love this one. It's not too dressy and not too casual. Also, the color is really pretty on Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This skirt is able to shine when it's not teamed with a stuffy blouse that competes. I must prefer this outing over it's first and am happy to see her mix it up a bit with a cool and modern (and unexpected) coat. Between this and the Self Portrait I'm so pleased this week.

    My quibble: I'm not even being photographed and I wouldn't be able to put that brown trimmed sweater on with all that black and grey. Of course, she probably drops loads on a sweater so she wouldn't just switch it out for a new black turtle neck but personally I'd be heading right for Forever 21 to grab a solid black.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kate the Great doing her Princess job. That is just a classic comment. Kate really does it so well. I love today. It's her thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just loved her casual, young look today. She looks modern and relaxed. I'm not really sure why, but when I saw pics of her reaching down to pic up her own water bottle she went up a little on my "high regards" ladder (as if she wasn't already near the top). It's a silly thing, I suppose, but it's a reinforcement that an icon is in fact just another human being doing ordinary things in extraordinary circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the coat. Powder blue is beautiful with her coloring. The outfit is a bit schoolgirlish. Black, low heeled riding boots would look better than the pumps. Don't like pumps with tights (look nicer with sheer hose).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Anon 8:15, I have a pair of black velvet pumps that I only wear if I'm wearing tights because I don't like the difference in texture between the smooth black leather pumps and tights. And I prefer solid black tights.

      Catherine's tights have a grey/blue tint that only adds to the multiple hues she's wearing.

      Belle

      Delete
  19. Watching The Crown on Netflix, and really loving it. I am up to episode 5 now. It follows the Queen's life beginning with her marriage to Prince Philip. Sumptuous sets, costumes and terrific actors. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I've binged until episode 5 too. It's very well done and nicely cast. May have to have the DVD version in my library.

      Delete
    2. Isn't it fantastic?! Loving it! Claire Foy is an amazing actress, I wonder what the Queen and Prince Phillip would think of it? Seems very fair and probably pretty accurate from my limited point of view. Great acting, great writing!

      Delete
    3. I have now watched all episodes of The Crown, and will likely watch it all again soon! Truly a great story about the young Queen Elizabeth, and it seems to be as much about Winston Churchill as her.

      Belle

      Delete
  20. Do not like this coat at all. It looks pilled and cheap. I love her skirt and she looks amazing in black turtlenecks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jennifer from the SouthNovember 7, 2016 at 8:24 AM

    LOVE the look - it feels like a hint of the old Kate Middleton we once knew, yet glammed up a bit. I think she does these sorts of looks the very best - and she seems most comfortable like this.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!