Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Somber Kate Marks Remembrance Sunday

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Every year, on the Sunday closest to the 11th of November, the Queen and senior members of her family gather with government leaders at the Cenotaph to pay tribute to the country's fallen. In the often gloomy and grey winter morning, troops line magnificent Whitehall as the Monarch places the first wreath of red poppies at the base of the war monument. From the balcony of the Foreign Office, the spouses of those senior royals partaking in the tribute, watch somberly. Today, for the sixth consecutive year, Kate stood by HRH the Duchess of Cornwall and HRH the Countess of Wessex on the principle balcony.



I have been watching The Crown on Netflix, as I think have all royal fans, so I Googled the Elizabeth's first Remembrance Sunday as queen and this video from 1952 surfaced:



Today, the 90 year old monarch, still flanked by the Duke of Edinburgh, but now also by the Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry, laid her wreath at the Cenotaph. Really remarkable the span of her reign.



Kate made her first appearance on the Foreign Office balcony in 2011, wearing a double-breasted Diane von Fürstenberg coat that featured elaborate embroidery on the collar and at the cuffs. She wore that coat again in 2012, and today she recycled it for its third appearance at a Remembrance Sunday. Here she is, radiantly gorgeous, in 2011 wearing the DVF Lio coat.



Kate almost always mixes a debut item with a recycle for Remembrance Sunday. 2011, by necessity, was a complete debut, since she was a newly minted royal. In 2012, she recycled the same coat and paired it with a hat that walked the line between debut and recycle.



It was the hat's first royal appearance, but long-time Kate fans were already familiar with the Philip Treacy piece thanks to its first outing in December of 2006 when Kate wore it to William's Passing Out Parade at Sandhurst.



In 2013, Kate recycled her hat and wore a new Temperley coat.  The duchess surprised fans by styling her hair in long banana curls. It was a coiffure which would be done away in relatively short order.



In 2014, the pregnant duchess recycled that wildly popular first hat and paired it with a new coat from Alexander McQueen. This is one of my favorite looks, and I still think she looks like the Duchess of Devonshire or Lady Blakeney.


Finally, just last year, Kate wore a second entirely new ensemble for her appearance on the balcony next to the extremely stylish Queen Maxima, who was a visiting London with her husband King Willem-Alexander.



Following her general protocol, this year Kate paired her recycled coat with a new hat from (I think it must be) John Boyd. This gracious, full-brimmed chapeau is in the same style as the dove-grey hat Kate wore to the Commonwealth Service at Westminster in March of this year.


I know not everyone loved that ensemble, but it really wowed me. Kate wears so many perchers that it is a treat and a pleasure when she wears a broad brim. Today's hat has a more rounded shape, but if I had to guess (which is exactly what I am doing right now) I'd say it is Boyd.


Today was a big win for Kate. The pictures showed this coat off to its best advantage. I have to say, I had never really noticed the extra detailing along bodice and I think these pictures also show off the extravagant cuffs to best advantage, too. This is the first time Kate has worn her hair up for Remembrance Sunday, choosing to style it in this chic side chignon she recently highlighted in Canada. It is very sophisticated and the asymmetry is a nice twist on her usual updo. Kate added a touch of sparkle (after last night's rather lackluster showing) with new earrings on loan from the Queen. Well done, Your Royal Highness. This was a princess perfect.



P.S. Today is the first anniversary of that terrible, terrible night at the Stade de France, at the cafes in the 10th, and the atrocities of the Bataclan. For me, and I am sure many, a year has not dimmed the horror of that night as the news of Paris under siege unfolded. One year on, the families of the victims, and indeed those who were lost, remain in our prayers.

Mass at Notre-Dame for the Victims of the 13th of November 






43 comments:

  1. Love the look! The hair is amazing, wish she'd done that yesterday with the coat dress. Her make - up is so beautiful, and the coat looks its best this time around. Wish we could see the shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on today. I've loved the coat each time she has worn it and this new hat seems to make it look even better.
    Beautiful earrings--is it my imagination , but she seems prepared to borrow jewellery for state occasions and evening dos, but prefers her own more moderate things for her charity visits?
    all three royal ladies look grat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jean. She seems to be a bit more comfortable with borrowing for special occasions. I'm not a great fan of Sophie's hat but I think her dress is lovely. Do you know what the other brooch is that she's wearing?

      Delete
    2. According to this link http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot.com/?m=1 Sophie was wearing the badge of the 5th Battalion the Rifles because she is the Royal Colonel. I know she has worn it before at this event. Camilla's regimental badge belonged to the Queen Mother and represent's Camilla's father's regiment. 

      Delete
    3. Thanks, lizzie. That makes perfect sense for this occasion!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it sixth consecutive year? Love today's look -tres elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never noticed those amazing cuffs before and am so happy she wore this coat again - it's a recycle by feels fresh styled this way to highlight a feature of the garment not highlighted before. And that hat is divine - I love that she is incorporating more dramatic millinery into her style - she's come a long way since that feather fascinator! Finally, those earring are gorgeous. I love when she brings out royal jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything about her look today! My favorite hat is still the 2011 hat but I do love her in a broad brim. The earrings are gorgeous! Do we know what they call these earrings? It seems there is always name attached to the royal jewelry. I am also one of the ones who really loved the gray ensemble - every bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are called the Queen's Bahrain Pearl Drop Earrings. They were made from pearls given to the Queen in the forties by the King of Bahrain. They are exquisite and I hope we see them often. I agree with you about her whole look. Completely iimpeccable.

      Delete
    2. Me too, Robin-the gray outfit.

      Delete
    3. The close-up of these earrings shows stunning details! Way to go, Kate!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think she repeats and downplays as much as possible for these types of events as not to overshadow the cause. She still looked lovely though and her hat is similar to the style we normally see on the Duchess of Cornwall. Small correction, Commonwealth Day takes place at the Abbey does it not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous and regal. One of her best looks ever

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this look very much and cheered when I saw the hat, earrings, and chignon. Super elegant in every way!

    P.S. JC ... I replied to your comment in the "Is Andrew Angling..." post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are those yet another pair of the Queen's pearl and diamond earrings? Other than the ones she wore in Canada.
      Interesting pearl choker on Camilla.Would like to see the clasp up close. Wonder if the necklace is new. Perhaps one if the Queen's? I'm sure it will be well-covered on the ROSP
      jewel blog.

      Delete
    2. Anon 1, both are familiar pieces... Although you did make me wonder if Camilla has yet another choker to dazzle us with. :)

      Kate's earrings...

      http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-bahrain-pearl-drop-earrings.html

      And Camilla's choker...

      http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-duchess-of-cornwalls-four-strand.html

      Delete
  10. I don't think she had the detachBle cuffs on the coat in previous wearings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder I never noticed them before!

      Delete
  11. I really like the wide-brimmed hat. I wish Kate would wear them more often. (I'm not a fan of Kate's extensive collection of fascinators.) I also love the earrings--they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is first time we've seen the detachable cuffs on the garment. Love the hat- she looks very "senior Royal" to me. Love the earrings too- they're very much Kate's style. I bet HM saw them in her jewelry safe recently, and said I think Kate might like to wear these. I prefer her sartorial choice today to the ordinary coat/dress from last night. Well done Duchess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This whole outfit was lovely. I have always liked this coat and with the cuffs today it was even better. I am not a huge fan of the side chignon but with this hat I think it works. Love a wide brim hat...and this one is gorgeous. The earrings were simple but needless to say gorgeous!! Very sophisticated. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with all of the above, Laura. The side chignon balances the hat.
      Beautiful earrings.

      Delete
    2. Isn't the coat more tight this time?? It seems the former times more loose-fitting to me...

      Snon2

      Delete
  14. Just a stunning look. So elegant and chic. Plus it was a very moving ceremony. We must never forget the men and women who fought for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't love Kates look on this occassion I think she looked better in previous years, but I am surprised no one mentioned Sophie, I think she totally nailed the look. Bravo Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because this is a Kate blog, Kate. However, I did comment on several other royals
      yesterday, including Sophie. Sophie does have blogs about her. Perhaps you can go on one and express surprise that no one mentioned how beautiful Kate looked? Perhaps you already have.
      Which was your favorite Kate Remembrance Sunday look, then?

      Delete
    2. Kate,you are perfectly right. Sophie looked beautiful. And I even agree with you on Kate's look.

      Please ignore comments like the one above!

      Delete
    3. I mentioned Sophie. I think her dress is beautiful!

      Delete
    4. I agree Robin, Sophie looked elegant.

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed the photos of the previous years' outfits. There are some less flattering views out there, but you chose the best ones, Jane.
    She really does hold her own with the oher royal wives, doesn't she?
    Doesn't Timothy Lawrence generally appear on the balcony with the other "royal wives," so to speak? Or is that for the Garter ceremonies?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jennifer from the SouthNovember 14, 2016 at 8:44 AM

    LOVE the earrings and updo. Love the hat. This is my favorite black coat of hers. Best Remembrance Sunday outing dare I say ever.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is, apparently, the third time Kate has worn this coat to Remembrance Sunday services: 2011, 2012, 2016, but, because the sheep-wool? collar and wrist cuffs can be removed, I missed this. (In 2012, Kate wore the coat without said collar and sleeve cuffs.)

    Compared to other black ensembles Kate has worn on Remembrance Sunday--she's worn it 3 of 6 times--this is my standout favourite when worn with the warm and cozy sheep-wool collar and cuffs. Of course, I am partial to DVF as I think her designer off-the-rack clothing is a match made in heaven for Kate, and her North American body-type, a view I have expressed before.

    Regarding Kates hat, well, it isn't as bad as her misguided mother has worn when it comes to over-sized turned up brims, nor as overblown as many--same style--worn by the Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla; its simple and understated.

    And, she had to carry it off without the clothing allowance Sophie now enjoys, and without a diamond brooch. So...hats off to Kate; two thumbs up, here!

    PS Kates hair was great, and, I quite liked her earrings, whether real, c/o HM, or decent fashion fakes.

    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there is a brooch or a badge associated with Kate's role as Honorary Air Commandant but it's rather large. I think she'll eventually have something else to wear on Remembrance Sunday the same way Camilla and Sophie do.

      Delete
    2. Huh? North American body type? Misguided mother? Wow! Strong and somewhat lacking in fact opinions JC.

      Delete
  19. @ royalfan. Thanks for the heads up--I did check once, just so you know. Heading that way right now.

    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you JC. And I just chimed in again... :)

      Delete
    2. @royalfan, this whole crap of having to go back and search is annoying to say the least! Is there no internet genius out there who can override this glitch?

      Heading your way.

      JC

      Delete
  20. My favourite look is the one from 2015. Just love that coat. The DvF is nice, but last year's was special.

    Royal fan in Northern Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the video from 1952!

    Royal fan in Northern Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, yes, I'm loving The Crown! The costumes are absolutely sumptuous! I know it's really not in this blog's wheelhouse, but I certainly wouldn't mind a post on the show and its fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Crown is fabulous, loving it! Also loved the video from 1952. The Queen was so young, and very beautiful. She still is beautiful. Thanks for sharing that with us Jane.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!