Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Queen Celebrates 69 Years of Marriage

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Today, Elizabeth and Philip celebrated their 69th wedding anniversary. After meeting in 1934, when Elizabeth was only eight years old, the two began their romance in 1939 by exchanging letters--a time honored tradition. :) They were secretly engaged in 1946 and once Elizabeth reached her 21st birthday, the two announced their engagement and were married at Westminster on November 20, 1947.


The very popular Netflix series The Crown depicts the ealry years of the couple's marriage. I have really enjoyed the inside peek, even if many scenes are hypothesis of how history may have transpired. I have also enjoyed the debates it has sparked amongst historians regarding the veracity of the series. One altercation which has been acknowledged to be true
, shows the couple arguing while on tour. Elizabeth chases Philip out of the house throwing a tennis racket at him, only to discover that cameras at the end of the drive-way have caught the fracas. I thought it was a very human and moving scene, as the young Elizabeth asks and is granted the comprising footage. 



Recently, there has been a hubbub about the portrayal of Elizabeth's relationship with Lord Porchester, 7th Earl of Carnarvon. Several news articles have quoted historians emphatically denying the portrayal of the Queen and her racing manager. Ultimately, I think everyone--historians and the Netflix series--agrees that the Queen seems devoted to Philip, and although his personality is a little less decorous than hers, that he is equally devoted to her. Today, the Twitter account for The Crown tweeted  a beautiful letter that George VI wrote to Elizabeth upon her marriage and I wanted to share it with you tonight:


The Queen's marriage is obviously and remarkably very strong and I know it stands as an example to William and Kate as they mark five down and fifty-some-odd to go. ;) Longevity in the face of their unusual dynamic is particularly noteworthy.  They are an impressive couple. Many more years to this incredible couple. 



12 comments:

  1. Lovely post! Lovely letter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's amazing how long they are together. I could only wish the same for my husband and me. Hope there will be many more years to come!
    Best regards from Vanuatu
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful letter George VI wrote to Elizabeth. Thank you Jane, for sharing it with us, it was very moving to me. Imagine 69 years, they are an amazing couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got tears in my eyes when reading this letter.
    Such beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that. Thank you Jane for sharing!

      Delete
  6. So much has changed since then. The wedding was on my 12th birthday and we were given a day off school, but of course there was no TV, just a bit on the "Wireless". WE saw it later on newsreels at the cinema.
    The letter from George V1 is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very sweet letter indeed. I have been meaning to watch "The Crown" and perhaps this is the nudge I needed... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched it yet either. I may get around to it sooner or later. It can make up for the missing Downton Abbey this winter.

      Delete
  8. Lovely letter. She really was an attractive young woman, still is very attractive. I love so many of the clothes she wore. It is always fun to see photos of her over the years. ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet letter from King George VI and such a lovely thing to share with us. My husband and I are a wee bit more than half way there at 36 years - 37 in January.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!