Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

[Updated] Kate Runs Relay Race with the Boys at Olympic Park

Sunday, February 5, 2017

It is Super Bowl Sunday in the United States, and the spirit of intense athletics is in the air. On the other side of the pond, though, there was quite a bit of athletic competition at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park where Kate, William, and Harry joined the Heads Together team for a morning training as they prepped to run in the London Marathon.


Kate has mentioned before that the royals can't run in the marathon because of security concerns, but they were able to enjoy a little relay race in this more controlled environment. The three were on separate teams and as they gathered at the starting line there was
a healthy amount of ribbing and teasing. 


Despite that, or maybe because they were distracted, when the starting gun finally went off, Harry was first out of the box and looking behind like, "wait, am I the only one in this race? Are you guys even going to give me a run for my money?" There is no glory without decent competition...


Although just a tad late at the start, William and Kate both threw themselves in pretty quickly. I have to say this seemed mostly a race between Harry and William--fueled on by friendly sibling rivalry, perhaps. 


Kate managed to participate with zest, though, while still maintaining a lovely composure. Harry won, natch. Probably all that practice he has had with Usain Bolt.


Kate is thinking that the boys might be first across the finish line, but she is winning most photogenic sprinter award in tomorrow's paper. I hope they frame this picture. 

Via Heads Together Twitter

The morning gave the "Royal Trio" an opportunity to mingle with the racers and thank them for their efforts on behalf of the mental health initiative. Heads Together is the headlining charity this year for the London Marathon, and has been the young royals' primary focus now for about a year.  They have travelled the country and even the world, promoting their battle against the stigma attached to mental health issues and encouraging productive conversations. 


Kate arrived at the stadium this morning with her hair in her signature loose waves, but she tied her tresses back for her race with the guys. It gave us a chance to see these new earrings. More than a few Kate-watchers have noted the marked resemblance to Kate's Asprey Button pendant. Asprey doesn't sell Button pendant earrings--at least right now--so they are either old, customized for Kate, or...a different company's product. Maybe they are some Etsy repliKater's pieces. Do any of you want to fess up?


Asprey does sell them, but I don't think they were on the website when I checked. I wonder how long Kate has owned these? Were they a recent addition or did she get them with her necklace all those years ago?



Let's look at the fashion! This was pretty par for the course for an athletic appearance. Kate debuted a new ski jacket today, though, which is a little out of the ordinary. This red puffer coat is from Perfect Moment, a Chamonix-based label that produces top of the line ski-wear, but also a host of products for other sports. The coat features quilted goose down with feminine tailoring and contrasting navy patches at the elbows. Net-a-Porter has it retailing at $450.


Seeing Kate in a new ski coat does make we wonder if she purchased it with more than one use in mind.  The Cambridges have already taken George and Charlotte on their first ski getaway, and I expect that we will see the family hit the slopes regularly in the coming years, since they will be keen to teach their children the ropes early and often.


I don't like black skinny jeans. I never have and today was no exception. I wish she had worn either blue skinnies, which would have paired with the navy patch on the coat better, or opted for something else. Sometimes Kate has to make her sport ensemble do double duty, and on those occasions choosing skinnies is a great way to provide flexibility. She can dress them up for the formal aspect and down to hit the turf. A great example of this was another visit Kate made to Olympic Park in 2012. On that occasion her tangerine skinnies worked really well.


Since there was not really any need for formality at this event, Kate might have been better served by wearing a cute pair of athletic trousers, like the Monreal London track pants she wore in Edinburgh. As it was, the black skinnies did not detract much from an event that really highlighted William, Harry, and Kate at their best together, running, laughing, teasing, and generally projecting a sense of fun and camaraderie. My verdict is a win, even if it isn't a homerun. What does win is this picture of William cheering on his team. Yesssss.  Doesn't he remind you of George on his play tractor?


In related news today, the blog is finally on Instagram! My other website, Kate's Clothes, has been on Instagram for a while now, and I will update From Berkshire to Buckingham there sometimes, but I thought it was time for FBTB to have it's own account. You can view and follow here.  


One more video featuring William and Kate walking along...and Kate's hair is picture perfect:


Ok, kids. Over and out from me. We see Kate again tomorrow! In the meantime, good luck to the Super Bowl teams. I don't even know who is playing, but I have my champagne and peach salsa, so it should be a good time. 

40 comments:

  1. Kate, Please, once and for all, get rid of those skinny jeans immediately. They are skin tight and not flattering. Quite an odd choice to wear in a foot race, too. No wonder she lost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree. Immediately would be too soon. I'm not a fan of skinnies, no matter the color. If they're not flattering on Kate... At least she hasn't started wearing leggings, which are all the rage here in the U.S.

      Delete
    2. I cannot believe anyone would consider skinny jeans "unflattering" on Kate's super slim frame. If anything, I'd say they show that Kate is about 5 pounds away from looking unhealthy, but since we're not allowed to comment on her weight, I'm not gonna say that.

      Delete
    3. You just did say it, and yes, they are unflattering. They are too tight and even someone who is super slim should rethink this look. They fit like panty hose, for God's sake.

      Delete
    4. Yet, everybody loved the Gap pants which fit the same way.

      Delete
    5. BethNY I know I said it, it was meant to be a cheeky, humorous statement. People take themselves and their opinions way too seriously.
      Agree with anon at 8:33, everybody loved the blue gap pants and they looked no different from these skinnies.
      Anyway, I don't get why people think her skinny jeans are too tight or revealing. They are meant to be body-hugging, which they are. Which type of pants do you guys want to see her wear? Baggy mom jeans?

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking we may see Kate wearing this jacket again next month on the slopes. A nice young, sporty look for Kate today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun afternoon, but great publicity; their charity is all over the internet and shown practically every hour on TV.
    Lovely jacket--like you Jane, I immediately thought of a possible ski holiday.
    How does she manage to remain looking so elegant whilst tearing down a running track?
    Well done .

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great event! I bet Kate could do a Marathon, though I understand the security concern. She's so athletic!
    Loved the puffer jacket (in power red!) and, while I may be in the minority, I love black jeans, skinny or not. I think they fit the event today, and can be a great wardrobe staple (I have a pair cut straight/cigarette style that I think work well for work and play). Why is William the only one not dressed more athleticly? Cute brother competition:) Go Harry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no issue with these jeans so you are not alone. She blended in perfectly and, quite frankly, considering prior fuss over "faded black" and the "same old navy", I can understand today's choice.

      Delete
    2. I like the skinnies too. I just didn't enjoy seeing them pulled out for every casual/sporting event. We haven't seen them for a while, so thought she looked great today.

      Delete
    3. I think she looked just fine and perfect for the event. William could probably have lost the sweater-over-button-up for the day but the real treat is the interactions between the three of them.

      Delete
  5. Harry cheated! Ha! Kate's black skinnies exactly matched the ladies on either side of her. She likes to blend in. Again, I am amazed how little people focus on them. The attention is nearly always on someone or something else. Contrast that to actual celebrity appearances and it is easy to see why they can't be dismissed as celebrities. They are truly advocates with their eyes on the prize. I'm imagining HM in front of the telly, proudly cheering them all on. Who needs the Super Bowl?........ Fun post, Jane! Patriots and Falcons!!!! Champagne, is it? Peach salsa sounds like my kind of salsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the jeans, Anon 1 and said so above. :) And I too have visions of HM (and PP!) cheering them on.

      Delete
    2. Of course, royalfan. Grandad too....;+)... The design model was shown with black skinnies every bit as tight. Lets face it-she can get away with a fit that would reveal way too many bumps and bulges on some others. The practice
      is a fun, appropriate way to bring attention to HT and the London Marathon. Anyone who thinks Kate is tiny should compare her to Rachel? the past winner. Kate was also wearing a black turtleneck, which a number of the other participants wore with black jeans. I do hope this whole post isn't going to be hijacked by complaints about her jeans.

      Delete
    3. Agreed Anon 1. But it's early...William's outfit may enter the competition. Pardon the pun. πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜ƒ

      Delete
    4. Actually, royalfan, I could understand criticism of William's pants. Why doesn't anyone ever complain about his tight pants? Ha! Never mind. Well, that marathon winner isn't named Rachel. I had the name for a minute and lost it again. Paula?

      Delete
    5. Haha anon 1, I just complained about tight pants, incuding William's. I feel a bit bad, as I know many don't see it as an issue, in regards to William! ;) I'm not a perve...but sometimes I find it a bit distracting. They're a lovely couple & both in great shape, I just noticed they like the fit of their pants quite snug.

      Delete
    6. No comment ladies. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  6. These pants were SO tight on her that I initially thought that they were running leggings! I am a fan of the black skinnier at times, but this was not one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these jeggings. They look very like mine from M&S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does this jacket have black cuffs? The elbows look navy blue..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she was wearing a black shirt underneath?? It makes more sense than the red coat having blue patches on the elbow and black cuffs, I think?!? I could be wrong but the black shirt looks like it would match the jeans and it looks as though it's peaking out of the top of the coat in a few pictures... She can never please everyone.. At least she's not in blue like Wills!!?? He seriously needs to let his wife dress him, he really looks out of place!! Love the new earrings.. But I'm very much not happy with the comparisons between Kate and Meghan, Harry's new girl. She just doesn't sit right with me for some reason, I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm sorry I just can't get in the band wagon with her.. Can't say anything nice so....

      Delete
  9. The Queen is going to have a good chuckle when she sees these pictures in tomorrow's papers!

    Geez, all the fans/followers that have been swearing on their lives that Kate is pregnant. If that green skirt suit she just wore and this outfit doesn't confirm she ISN'T pregnant (or hasn't been for as long as people were convinced) this should kill those rumors. I'd love for them to have another child, but I think we need to stop insisting she is always pregnant.

    ~ A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! ~A, I couldn't agree more on the pregnancy issue!

      Delete
  10. I actually saw two quick snaps from last week's visit that showed a little belly (right after she stood up from accepting the bouquet from the little girl), so I'm still watching with interest. I haven't thought she was pregnant since the last time she was pregnant, but the photos in recent weeks are open to interpretation at the very least! Either way, the developments will be fun to watch. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Tsipa. Only I go by the full jaw line and loose waistlines. Amal and George Clooney are reportedly expecting twins. Yeah, I know. But I think this was confirmed by staff. She is 39. I hope baby Cambridge three arrives in the next year, if at all.

      Delete
    2. I dont know whether she is pregnant but i do find it very remarkable they forego the mustique holiday. It could be zika concerns!

      Delete
    3. I think that is the most likely explanation, Fabulousdaan.

      Delete
  11. I thought these were leggings when I saw these photos and refused to believe Jane until I zoomed in to verify the back pockets. She looks great, absolutely love the jacket. This is a young and on-trend athletic outfit, unlike those horrible baggy pants from that tennis clinic that were very expensive and about twenty years outdated. I wish she'd gone with full on leggings but I'll take this. I can see the arguments that it's too tight but that's what's in, and she can more than pull it off.

    SSM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the black jeans-they look like they are made with something other than denim? So maybe they are more athletic type pants-even with back pockets. If she can't wear them no one can! She looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not expect a high fashion moment today, I expected a track suit and trainers. I thought she looked great and totally appropriate for the engagement. I am eagerly awaiting her Bafta moment- if she can't go all out Princess in front of tv and movie stars, I throw up my hands in exasperation. I expect a new gown and some great jewels. Would love to see those long diamond and emerald earrings again, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swooning in anticipation for Bafta here too! I hadn't thought of the emeralds! Ooh!:)

      Delete
  14. Love this event & the amount of fun the trio are having...look at Harry go!
    I don't want the fashion to detract from this engagement, but I'm torn over this look on Kate.
    She has a fantastic figure & looks great in skinny jeans, it's just sometimes they look painted on! I don't think they need to be that tight, it doesn't look very professional for a woman in her royal position. Just a bit looser fit would've been more appropriate, IMHO. Don't get me started on William's pants either...
    But the cause that they are promoting & the joy on their faces during the visit certainly makes up for my quibble over their athletic attire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that Harry kicked all their asses!! Go, Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was surprised all 3 of them opted for "regular" pants rather than true athletic wear since they knew they would be running a race

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked this look better when I thought she was wearing workout pants/leggings. Still, I love the jacket & earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun event. Always love to see the three of them together, and they were in their element today. I thought Kate looked smashing, perfect for the event. I loved the red jacket, and I am not offended by skinny jeans. With her wonderful slim figure, Kate can carry off just about any style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tedi: I totally agree.

      Delete
  19. Harry did the same to Usain Bolt in Jamaica. In a race between himself the world champion runner, he distracted him before the start of the race and took off running. Of course, distracted or not Usain could have beat him but he pulled up towards the end and Harry won the race, (Check out the race on You Tube) Today, Kate and William were not expecting Harry's strategy and were caught off guard. It was fun to watch and Harry looked like he was over the moon. These three always seem to have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!