Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kate Stumped Royal Watchers in Catherine Walker Floral

Sunday, July 16, 2017

The Duchess of Cambridge attended the men's final at Wimbledon today, accompanied by her husband the Duke of Cambridge. In the past, Kate has often repeated for her Wimbledon appearances, but in keeping with her uptick in new ensembles, Kate wore a new day dress. It led fashion watchers on quite the hunt to ID it!


When Kate stepped out in this dress I thought it looked the type that would be IDed in seconds, but hours went by as royal fashion IDers combed every outlet to track down this summery floral print. I thought it might be a Lela Rose because of the overlay, and it also has elements in common with Gucci's recent designs. It was similar (but nowhere near an exact match) to a Ted Baker dress, so the Daily Mail just went ahead and IDed it as such. Oh well. I think most everyone had marked themselves stymied when @ParkysGirl79 found it! The dress was featured in Catherine Walker's Chelsea Flower Show shoot! 


Betty Bader snagged a screen shot of Kate by the car, and the Duchess is wearing new block sandal-heels from L.K. Bennett.


These are the company's Helena Fawn Block Heels and retail for £195 at one of Kate's favorite accessory brands. 


A better complete look from EasiGrass:



Kate: Baby, did you shave today? 


William: Oops, let me just whip out my shaving bag on-the-go...


That's not what happened. Apparently, guests of the Royal Box always get some kind of little "party favor." Today, they received a leather bag of goodies and William couldn't resist digging into his to see what he'd received as Kate looked on with amusement. Twitter thought that William had brought a man-bag! I was really confused. I thought, good goodness, did Wills pack along his shaving bag with him today? Super bizarre. The explanation helped a lot! @RoyalSpectator shared these three images. You are never too old to get stoked for a great party favor, eh?


I think Kate sees shades of George here. ;) 


Kate wore her recently debuted Bulgari sunglasses and recycled her Temple of Heaven earrings. These earrings are getting a lot of love from Kate, but a frosty reception from the comment section. I get the sense you all are ready for her to move on! Happily for you, I think Kate will break the streak tomorrow as she starts her trip!


The New York Times ran a fascinating piece dishing the inside scoop on the Royal Box experience. Details in the article include the confirmation of the goodie bag and the general program of the day--lunch before play and tea and sandwiches afterward for those who wish to stay. Apparently the dress code for women states that no dresses can end above the knee, so as a Duchess, Kate must be exempt, because today's dress was above the knee, as have several of her past ensembles. 
Guests are assigned woven-wicker seats in the box, each with their name, a commemorative program and a small gift. This year, the gift was a green leather zippered bag embossed with the Wimbledon logo and the words “Royal Box 2017.” Guests also receive sterling silver lapel pins and a commemorative photograph of match action from that day’s play with the box visible in the background, paired with a seating chart.
Wimbledon
Federer won the championship and the Duke and Duchess got a chance to congratulate the star:


Just as they did last year, the Duke and Duchess stayed for the doubles game that followed the men's final. 


The royal duo also got a chance to chat with the ladies' champion Garbine Muguruza. Since Kate didn't show up on Saturday for polo, I think she was packing for Poland...and watching the ladies' final on the telly. 



The verdict is ace. I vaguely remember the picture of the Catherine Walker model from the Chelsea Flower Show, but let's just say....it didn't do anything for me. Kate saw past the netting and the creepy face paint and she totally nailed a fresh summer look today in the Royal Box! White is pretty traditional at Wimbledon, although I enjoy it when Kate branches out. This dress was a fun combo. I know people are really divided on the hair, but I was loving it today! These relaxed waves looked great! Most of all, Kate's passion for tennis always lights her up from the inside. I thought she was radiant this afternoon and a wonderful ambassador for this sport. 


P.S. The bow features Wimbledon's official colors. 

44 comments:

  1. oooh Nice, hair looks great today too!! William looks very handsome :) Beautiful couple........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is just perfection! It's beautiful on it's own and beautiful on Kate. I, for one, love her hair especially for this summer season. She looks fabulous. What is the little bow on the bodice? It looks like there is another woman wearing the same so I'm thinking it is representative of something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Wimbledon bow! Green and purple as she is patron! And I love her hair today... less bouncy curls and more wavy... perfection!

      Delete
    2. I believe it's actually for members of AELTC, not Wimbledon specifically.

      Delete
  4. Now this is a good, casual look. I like her hair better today because it is straighter. Great dress too. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first comment after 6 years of lurking is to say that I love her hair here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh, so exciting! I had my fingers crossed for Kate and William at the Wimbledon finals. Kate looks amazing. William too. I hope Federer wins!
    Royal Watcher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her hair looks FABULOUS here. Almost looks a tiny bit shorter than the last two appearances where she wore her new cut loose? She reminds me very much of Kate Beckinsale with her hair like this. I normally don't like a center part (very unforgiving unless you have very symmetrical features, which most do not) but it's every so slightly off center and works here. Dress is very pretty and fresh for a summer's day. They're presenting trophies later right? I hope we get to see the shoes... and I hope they're not pointy nudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing sandals of some sort since she's been wearing the style so often recently. Love to see her carrying the larger purse again but do wish she might accidentally lose those earrings in its depths. I think a pair of her colorful Kikis would have looked better with this dress.

      Delete
    2. Where do you see her earrings?! Which pic?!

      Delete
    3. There are photos in the DM. She is wearing the gold earrings she wore to the NHM.

      Delete
  8. I would almost call this cut a lob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had the same thought and absolutely love it! Those beach waves are stunning on her!

      Delete
  9. Love the "Cottage garden" dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the dress, though I'd like it better without that little bow pinned on. Hopefully we'll get a re-wear sometime without it. Still, it is gorgeous and looks very lovely with the new, shorter hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Wimbledon bow :-)
      ~ A

      Delete
  11. She looks lovely, and is glowing. This whole look suits her to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As expected, the long time President of the All England club (which hosts the Wimbledon Championships) presented the trophies to the winners and runners-up.

    Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent for anyone who may not know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty dress, shoe looks wonderful. I also much prefer this length cut straighter and more relaxed. Without all the curl around her shoulder and chin it works much better with her features. Still agree that a bit more of a side part might be better but overall it looks great. Wish we could see the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sandals ladies! And even better they are patent! It's been so exciting seeing Kate break out of her "uniform" recently and I can't wait to see what she debuts on the upcoming tour!

      Delete
    2. Do you have a picof the shoes?

      Delete
  14. Cute! And it's nice to see a summer day dress actually worn on a summer day. I like the waves in her hair vs the curls she wore the first day of Wimbledon. And I think the off-center part is more flattering than the dead-center one worn at the museum. I don't think the earrings mesh very well with the dress but honestly, I've never liked those earrings very much anyway. I think one of her many pairs of Kikis might have looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A++ for today's ensemble!! Wondering which shoes she was wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this dress up to the tips of the blue flowers - I'm sure the 'phantom' flowers higher up (about the height of her ring in this photo) look great in person, but in several photos looked like stains/spilled liquid. I personally love the Temple of Heaven earrings, but agree that a colorful pair of Kikis would have looked smashing. Can't wait to see a full length photo with shoes. I'm holding out hope for color - pretty much ANYTHING would look amazing here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Her hair looks MUCH better today! I love the soft waves with this length of hair. I also think the dress was lovely and she has her trusty Wimbledon purse.

    ~ A

    ReplyDelete
  18. I look forward to Wimbledon each year, as Kate always knocks it out of the park. Her makeup is fresh, the dress is on point and her hair is straight up perfection. I do wish we'd been able to see the whole Middleton clan sitting with W&K, but I understand why we did not. I can't wait for the tour this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the dress, hate the hair. It ages her. Her arms look great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL - Jane, your close-up shots of William and his 'man-bag' cracked me up. He really looked like he was enjoying rifling through his goodie bag! :) Kate looked beautiful, I liked her hair here & the dress is very pretty & summery. I don't like those earrings, though. I'll be happy not to see them again for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Her hair is amazing - simply perfect today. A lovely dress that doesn't take away the focus from her own beauty. Also - William is looking pretty sharp in that blazer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bet those seated in the front row (lower half obscured by the wall) get a slight pass on dress length requirements. Just my guess.
    -TMM

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the face framing highlights. I didn't notice them before.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's hilarious about the swag bag. Good job, Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The dress is really a hit, the hair is young and relaxed today, much better than those curls which make her look older

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally perfect look :) I love how Kate is branching out into open toes and while I really hope she grows her hair back, the shorter look is super cute in summer. This is hands down one of my favourite Kate-Wimbledon ensembles.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hair = total ace! She looks fantastic! They both do! Can't wait for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this dress. What made me laugh is I saw everyone saying it looked familiar, couldn't place it etc... I'm almost positive my daughter had a very similar dress from Marks & Spencer when she was about 1! :) I don't have any pictures of her wearing it as I have a memory of her growing out of it before the right season came along but it was gorgeous. And similar! It's not unusual for me and other mums to sit around discussing how it would be nice if we had clothes like our daughters'... and Kate definitely nailed that today. Gorgeous dress and I love love love her hair shorter like this. So much fresher and more modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me WatchingKate my mom, sister, and I had matching dresses very similar to Kate's in the 1960s. The top was white like Kate's but sleeveless (hot southern US summers before AC was common.) The flowers on the bottom were teal-toned blues and lavendar with spiky iris-type olive green foliage. I outgrew mine pretty quickly but it was passed down to my sister for when she outgrew hers.

      Delete
  29. Love this dress on her, very pretty and summery.

    I really wish I could fix her hair lol.

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  30. The bow threw me off a bit but other than that she looks great!!! I'm also looking the haircut and style for the first time!!! No funny faces though??? I'm shocked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the shoes! I'm a shoe person so I'm so happy to see the varieties of sandals that Catherine has worn of late. I agree with other readers who suggested a pair of her coloured Kiki earrings would have been a better option....but even so I am loving the whole look. I do think the shorter style suits her better and I join those in favour of her not going longer again.

    I often smile when I read the various opposing opinions, one loves the shorter hair another hates it, this hemline is too short, no it's youthful and flirty, the shoes don't match, they are a perfect match! etc. If a panel of Jane's readers were invited to dress Catherine for a day methinks confusion would reign :)
    ~Mo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bravo!!! This is the best Kate has looked to date, in my opinion. Her hair is modern and flattering when styled with a slight wave and straight ends. I hope we see it styled in this sleek way more often.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those curls at the museum were terrible im glad her hair is growing out and becoming itself.

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!