Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Kicking Off Three Pregnancies: Kate's Final Engagements Before She Announces

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Almost two weeks ago I got a message from a reader telling me she had heard that Kate had paid a visit to hospital and that the Duchess might be expecting again. Indeed, Woman's Day, a very popular magazine out of Australia (that publishes many of the pictures of G&C) had reported that Kate checked into the Edward VII hospital for a one night visit, and that Carole had watched the kids while Kate was gone. There was not a hint of this in the British media, or anywhere else for that matter, but the rumor hung on the margins of the royal-watching community until Wednesday when Kate stepped out at Kensington Palace with her husband and brother-in-law.


The smiling and slim Duchess was glowing on August 30th, and nothing about her fitted crepe-silk Prada dress suggested the Woman's Day rumor was true.


As we all know now (I certainly hope), on Monday morning royal reporters began asking questions when they learned Kate's engagement at Hornsey Road Children's Centre was canceled. Shortly thereafter, Kensington Palace broke the news with a press release announcing the Duchess of Cambridge was pregnant with her third child...and once again suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum. For me, the final and penultimate engagements Kate undertakes just before she announces really stick in my head. Her Wednesday appearance in the White Garden at Kensington Palace will now forever be linked to the happy news of this third little Cambridge. On this crisp September Saturday, let's review her past two announcements.

George

The world had been on baby watch for Kate's first since, I don't know, April 30, 2011? But in November of 2012 we were a good year and half after the wedding and had settled into a pattern of false magazine headlines and no royal baby.  In late November, Kate undertook a string of public engagements, concluding with the two that stand in my mind as the "George-Announcmeent" events. The first was her visit to Cambridge on the 28th. Dressed in a pale pink MaxMara coat, Kate looked lit from within despite the wind that seemed to blow from every direction. 


Unbeknownst to us, or even to her, the Duchess's next engagement would be her last before she broke the news to the world that there would be a little Cambridge. Kate paid a visit to Saint Andrews Pangbourne where she once was a pupil and reminisced about her childhood. Dressed in her Black Watch tartan coat, the Duchess dashed around the field--hockey stick in hand--aboslutely glowing with life and energy.


That weekend, William and Kate drove to Bucklebury to spend time with the Middletons. It is likely they were celebrating their secret, but the celebrations were cut short. Kate became very ill and when she didn't recover, William drove her back to London, to Edward VII, where she was hospitalized for severe dehydration and ultimately diagnosed with hypermesis gravidarum.


As I've mentioned in a few of the posts this week, Kate still fulfilled her commitment to appear at the Sports Personality of the Year awards, and we saw her at church in Bucklebury on Christmas morning. She also made a public appearance in January to view her first official portrait on the day it was unveiled at the National Portrait Gallery. With Charlotte, however, Kate kept to her bed, or at least out of the limelight.

Charlotte


2014 was a big, big year. The Cambridges undertook their longest tour to-date, traveling to New Zealand and Australia for a total of three-weeks on the road. It was also the Cambridges debut as a family, since they brought along Baby George. After they returned, Kate took her little man to a polo game in June and I think the public was still adjusting to the new order with little thought to baby #2.


On August 5th, William, Harry, and Kate visited the Tower of London to view the poppy installation honoring the fallen of WWI. Kate was striking in her bright blue L.K. Bennett against the scarlet sea of flowers. It was their last engagement before the royals retired to their summer vacation, and we didn't expect to see Kate much in August.


The summer went by with reports that Kate was enjoying her time with George. Playdates and walks in the park filtered through, and of course the family was transitioning to Norfolk at the time, and Kate was busy working on that project.


At the very end of August, the Duke and Duchess were spotted on a quiet date-night at the Kings Head Hotel in Great Bircham near Sandringham. Dressed casually, they enjoyed a meal together and appeared more loved-up than ever. They probably knew the hg would likely strike soon and were enjoying whatever time they had left before all the world was informed of their happy news.


With September comes the return of the royals and excitement was high to see Kate with William in Oxford on Monday, September 8th, to open a centre on China studies, followed by two more engagements that week alone. But when the morning came, the Palace announced the Princess would miss the visit because she was pregnant with her second child.


I am so glad that Kate decided to have a third. The years to work as an ambassador for charity stretch out indefinitely in front of her, but these years when she can have children and immerse herself in motherhood are relatively short.  All the accounts of hg I have read sound harrowing, but it is clear that the joy Kate has in her children overcomes and far out-compensates the misery she is currently enduring.  I hope she feels better soon!



35 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I like to compare and contrast, so this is right up my alley. Interesting that, so far, Kate's pregnancies seem to follow the same pattern. I just hope this child isn't born on Charlotte's birthday or their anniversary. Everyone deserves their own day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy she's having a third child, too :) Her & William are blessed with beautiful children...I hope she feels better soon & gets over the worst of the HG, it sounds very debilitating :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I love this post! btw, Kate looks so young in her pre-George pictures...especially the pictures of her in the cream coat. I forgot how much time has flown by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she looks so young in these pictures (not that Kate would look old now, of course not! But she looks different in general)! Kids really do change you inside and out...

      Delete
  4. A great idea for a post! It is interesting that this is so similar in timing to when she announced her pregnancy with Charlotte - a major déjà-vu to 2 years ago (in 2015, W&K visited Belgium around late July just like this year - probably around the time the baby was conceived?)!

    I am so curious for the due date to be announced, I think the baby will be born in April. Are you team boy or girl Jane? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be something in the water in Belgium that agrees with them!

      Delete
  5. With George, there was speculation that he would be born on either Diana's or Camilla's birthday. Fortunately, neither.
    I have a family member born on another family member's birthday. When she was about to have a baby in the week that already had three other birthdays, she was determined that this one would have her own day.




    The baby was born on the day between her aunt's and her grandfather's birthday.
    That was the first I knew how much sharing her birthday with a close relative had bothered her.
    She's not a complainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do share my birthday with my sister ( 4 years younger and there is another sibling between us) and it is marvellous. I love it and so does she. It happens seldom, so growing up we felt very proud and privileged. We felt almost as interesting as those born on February 29th. Our birthday was a huge celebration, with 2 cakes ( her favourite and mine) and nobody ever ever forgot our birthday. Even now everybody is sure to call.
      It is quite a special bond and a privilege. We are both married with children and live far apart but we manage to celebrate together every year. I am astonished reading the comments that it could be seen as a burden. It never crossed my mind that my parents were depriving me of my special day. They didn't. My day was all the more special.

      Delete
    2. My first brother was born on my 1st birthday. My second brothers birthday is 4 days later. My sister's birthday is 4 days after that. (5 years total between me and the youngest.) I HATED sharing my birthday as a youngster and as an adult am probably a bit overzealous about making sure I get MY day. I do think it's cool to share a birthday but not be twins, but all 4 of us in an 8 day stretch was a bit crowded.
      -TMM

      Delete
    3. Agree, I think most of us love sharing birthdays or names or anything else with other family members:) This idea that to feel unique you have to have a different name or different birthdate is odd to me, after all by the time one is 5 or 6 one knows that they most likely share a name with many others as well as a birthdate, even if it is not a cousin, aunt, sibling:) and sharing with a relative from my experience is a plus:):)

      Delete
  6. I think there must be something in the Belgian air. The Duke and Duchess were in Belgium on Aug 4 2014 for the Commemoration of the start of WW1 and the announcement about Charlotte came, I believe, on Sept 8.
    This year they were in Belgium on July 30 and 32st and the announcement came on Sept 4. Perhaps this little one will arrive on their anniversary.
    Whatever, I do hope she feels better soon, but HG does not always follow the same pattern, even for the same Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I also noticed the coincidence (?) that they visited Belgium around 4-5 weeks before the announcement (in Charlotte's case almost exactly 9 months before birth!) with both baby #2 and #3 in my comment above.
      It really makes you wonder, doesn't it? ;)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! I hope Pippa is or will be expecting soon so they will have a cousin to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, thank-you for the post! This type of post, a compare & contrast, is a real gift to you readers. I really enjoy an element of critical thinking in blog posts. . . and I think this is what sets you apart. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, as usual, great post. Listen, Kate and Wills have waited for this moment, they waited almost 10 years. Like you said, she has to make the most of it. I'm happy for them. Wills always said it's however many his wife wants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am beyond thrilled that the Duchess felt able to have a third child. I think many of us would be very surprised ever to see a fourth pregnancy from Kate, but it would certainly be welcome. There is something consoling about knowing that the Duchess and I are both miserable with pregnancy nausea right now, although I suspect hers is worse. I hope her third pregnancy results in a baby as adorable as the two she already has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes for your pregnancy greenbrown!

      Delete
  11. Mary in Nebraska, USASeptember 9, 2017 at 10:28 PM

    When I saw how madly in love they looked at the Berlin evening reception, I thought, "Wow! Looks like someone had some afternoon delight!" Wearing Diana's bracelet for the first time that night only added to the romance. Would have been a perfect night to make a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be onto something...'that look' said it all :) & the romantic lighting at the event just added to the atmosphere...I wouldn't be surprised if she's due around 21st April (9 months from the Berlin engagement). Just imagine if the baby was born on their 7th wedding anniversary, it would be so sweet!

      Delete
    2. P.S. & the baby could possibly share their birthday with HM :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this post, Jane! Do you think Pippa will have kids soon? I'm so excited for another little Cambridge baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know very much about HG. Are the chances of Pippa having it any higher because Kate does? Is there a heriditary factor?

      Delete
    2. I wonder too? I'm the only one in my family to have HG but worry my daughter will experience it. I hope she doesn't.

      Delete
    3. I had HG with all of my pregnancies (and mostly the same pattern-5 weeks-15/20 (longer as I got older), but my sister hardly had morning sickness and either did my mom. None of my cousins had it either.

      I never had a chance to try this, but in case other HG mothers are considering another pregnancy a HG mom of nine wrote an excellent series in how she found changing her diet/supplements helped tremendously. I have heard there is more research going on that is leading towards this same theory-http://stevenandersonfamily.blogspot.com/2016/01/relief-for-morning-sickness-and.html

      Although I feel terribly sorry for Kate, I am so grateful that more people are understanding how debilitating HG can be.

      Delete
    4. I hope Pippa has kids soon...she's 33 now, so I don't think she'd wait too much longer. It would be so cute for the cousins to grow up together!

      Delete
    5. Pippa is 34 years old already..

      Delete
    6. I forgot she's a year older than Harry - I keep thinking they're the same age!

      Delete
  13. Lovely post--thank you! I wonder how many weeks pregnant she is when HG strikes? And if it has varied with each pregnancy? We know she is under 12 weeks but is it week 6? Week 8? She does seem to be "ok" for a short while early in each pregnancy then struggles with HG for much of the first trimester and into the second. I've been having fun doing calculations trying to figure out how far along she is and when this seems to be at its worst for her. George was born July 22 and it seems to be the general consensus that he was "late." Her due date might have been much earlier in July. If the Duchess was due around early-mid July, George was probably conceived in mid to late October. If this is true, the hospital stay & announcement in very early Dec 2012 was around week 7-8 in her pregnancy. Charlotte was born May 2 and was most likely conceived in early August. The pregnancy announcement/illness came on Sept 8, 2014, which could mean the Duchess was around 6-7 weeks pregnant. So it seems she finds out she is pregnant around week 4 in pregnancy, is ok for a bit and then HG strikes hard around weeks 6-8. If Sept 4th, 2017 (day of announcement) was around "week 6" of this pregnancy, she probably conceived in the last week of July and the baby is due around April 20. If Sept 4th was around "week 8" of this pregnancy, she conceived in mid to late July and the baby is due around April 10. The palace hasn't released a due date so all these estimates are just for fun! (If I was Kate, I would tell the media the due date is the end of April so they don't camp out for 2 weeks waiting for the baby!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HG for me started up week 5. But week 6-15 were the most debilitating-with about week 9 being the lowest point. By that time it's almost like the starvation/dehydration mode has just hit low and your body realizes it has no reserves-which leads to even worse nausea-it's a vicious cycle. Without fluids or calorie it is hard to even walk without getting dizzy. So you can imagine-showers, getting 'fixed up', traveling, being civil, being anywhere around the smell of food-it is just way too difficult if not impossible.

      I think your calculations sound right on-sorry for rambling!

      Delete
    2. I also agree with your calculations/predictions :)

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. People have different sensitivities for discussion of human reproduction. Apparently, there is a conflict between Scandinavian and some European versus US/Brit/Canadian concepts of which parts can be publically discussed and which are taboo.
      It is interesting that a minute personal examination of conception times (a nice way to say sperm meets egg) is acceptable but a general mention of the female process that prepares for this meeting is not.
      I think the entire topic is probably none of our business, but if it is going to be allowed I would think censorship should take into account that some cultures consider discussion of the workings of the female body normal and certainly not taboo.

      The US is a male-dominated society. I think conception (sex) is accepted more readily than the deleted above word for a female process because males take part in conception .We are ,in a way, saying matters strictly female must be hidden or less important. anon1



      Delete
    5. It makes me laugh to think about the comment she made about 'having more babies' during the tour last summer. It seems like they were likely trying (or least not preventing) at that time and I'm sure William and she laughed about it later that night. One of those 'haaa, I can't believe I said that!' moments maybe. Very cute.

      Delete
  14. Darlings I feel bad for Kate being ill, but as it did before it will again . I look forward to seeing what Kate will wear during her third pregnancy.
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part
    http://www.jandrewspeaks.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm missing Kate and her lovely world right now - seems like this year has been a bit sparse as far as appearances go, and their lives are changing so I should expect our sightings to change over the years as well. I just miss them! I wish there were a blog where we could all visit almost daily (who would want to do all that work I know) where we could get all kinds of news and stories about the history of where they've lived, what it's like to live there - I'm thinking of Kensignton Palace right now - what the daily activity looks like there, who comes and goes, and more about the Middletons too, I love it when Carol is out and about! What have they been up to since Pippa's wedding? Where is Pippa btw? I'm also curious as to where Harry might live when he is married - will Harry be sixth in line after the baby is born? I'm also curious about Bea and Eugenie, and I like to follow their style - especially Eugenie's! I am just interested in every little detail about the royal family, and it provides a lovely escape from our depressing daily news here in the US. Anyone out there want to start a blog like this? I know I should, but I don't really feel qualified!

    ReplyDelete

The rules for commenting are simple: be polite. Please be respectful of the BRF/Middletons, even in criticism; please be respectful of your fellow readers, even in disagreement. Vulgarity will disqualify a comment.

Debate is welcome, direct and personal insults are not. Topics we tend to avoid here: "does Kate work enough?" and "Is Kate too skinny?" Everything is subject to approval.

I (Jane Barr) moderate all comments. If a comment is live, I approved it. If you find something offensive, or think my approval was an error, please email me at princesskateblog(at)gmail.com.

At times, an acceptable comment just goes missing. If you felt your comment should have been approved, but did not show up within five hours, again, pop an email to the above address.

Happy chatting!